Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Any last minute hints and tips before you left UK.

Any last minute hints and tips before you left UK.

Old May 2nd 2018, 6:14 pm
Forum Regular

Lichisadave has a reputation beyond reputeLichisadave has a reputation beyond reputeLichisadave has a reputation beyond reputeLichisadave has a reputation beyond reputeLichisadave has a reputation beyond reputeLichisadave has a reputation beyond reputeLichisadave has a reputation beyond reputeLichisadave has a reputation beyond reputeLichisadave has a reputation beyond reputeLichisadave has a reputation beyond reputeLichisadave has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Any last minute hints and tips before you left UK.

Originally Posted by Tumbling_Dice
That last point is excellent as it is also a hedge against problems if one decides to return to the UK permanently. I use my UK credit card now and again to keep the bank interested, and have rental income moving through my bank account. I kept my mortgage on the house, so there is a cash flow through the account, and ongoing credit history.
Hi yes we are keeping our uk account just in case and will keep using it now and again. Thanks.
Old May 24th 2018, 3:03 pm
Forum Regular

Lichisadave has a reputation beyond reputeLichisadave has a reputation beyond reputeLichisadave has a reputation beyond reputeLichisadave has a reputation beyond reputeLichisadave has a reputation beyond reputeLichisadave has a reputation beyond reputeLichisadave has a reputation beyond reputeLichisadave has a reputation beyond reputeLichisadave has a reputation beyond reputeLichisadave has a reputation beyond reputeLichisadave has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BritInParis
File your P85 and get a tax rebate for this financial year.

https://www.gov.uk/tax-right-retire-abroad-return-to-uk
Hi quick question regarding P85, as my husband will not receive his P45 until after we leave the UK can you fill out the forms later. We looked at doing now but it requires P45. We have a .GOV portal so was going to do it online. Has anyone done it this way? Thanks
Old May 24th 2018, 3:08 pm

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lichisadave
Hi quick question regarding P85, as my husband will not receive his P45 until after we leave the UK can you fill out the forms later. We looked at doing now but it requires P45. We have a .GOV portal so was going to do it online. Has anyone done it this way? Thanks
Yes, you can. I filed mine from France quite a long time after I left the UK. Several cheques then trickled through to my address in Paris for money owned from previous tax years.
Old May 24th 2018, 4:11 pm
Forum Regular

Yes, you can. I filed mine from France quite a long time after I left the UK. Several cheques then trickled through to my address in Paris for money owned from previous tax years.
Great thanks.
Old May 24th 2018, 10:22 pm
BE Enthusiast

glendem4 has a reputation beyond reputeglendem4 has a reputation beyond reputeglendem4 has a reputation beyond reputeglendem4 has a reputation beyond reputeglendem4 has a reputation beyond reputeglendem4 has a reputation beyond reputeglendem4 has a reputation beyond reputeglendem4 has a reputation beyond reputeglendem4 has a reputation beyond reputeglendem4 has a reputation beyond reputeglendem4 has a reputation beyond repute

1. Get yourself a cheap printer as Canadian government organisations require hard copies of proof of address.

2. Make sure you have someone back home taking care of the garden.

3. Refunds for tv licence and car tax will be sent to your UK registered address in the forms of a cheque. Make sure you have someone available to deposit the cheques into your UK bank account.
Old May 26th 2018, 6:19 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Howefamily
If you have small children buy some calpol or the usual go to that you typically use. You will transfer your affections at some point but at first, its handy to have.

If you are on any contraceptive that requires a trip to the doctor, get that sorted out just before you leave to get a supply in. You will thank yourself..
If you get cystitis, bring a couple of boxes of Cystemm or similar! You can’t get stuff over the counter here and have to get a prescription which is a bloody nuisance when you feel it coming on and want to nip it in the bud, so to speak!

Old May 31st 2018, 2:49 pm
Phaedrus by Plato (not5)

Phaedru5 has a reputation beyond reputePhaedru5 has a reputation beyond reputePhaedru5 has a reputation beyond reputePhaedru5 has a reputation beyond reputePhaedru5 has a reputation beyond reputePhaedru5 has a reputation beyond reputePhaedru5 has a reputation beyond reputePhaedru5 has a reputation beyond reputePhaedru5 has a reputation beyond reputePhaedru5 has a reputation beyond reputePhaedru5 has a reputation beyond repute

File your P85 and get a tax rebate for this financial year.

https://www.gov.uk/tax-right-retire-abroad-return-to-uk
You cant until after you have left, believe me I tried and it got rejected and was told to do it again after I had left.
Old May 31st 2018, 3:08 pm

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Phaedru5
You cant until after you have left, believe me I tried and it got rejected and was told to do it again after I had left.
HMRC state you should file it before you leave so that wasn't right.
Old May 31st 2018, 5:08 pm
Phaedrus by Plato (not5)

Phaedru5 has a reputation beyond reputePhaedru5 has a reputation beyond reputePhaedru5 has a reputation beyond reputePhaedru5 has a reputation beyond reputePhaedru5 has a reputation beyond reputePhaedru5 has a reputation beyond reputePhaedru5 has a reputation beyond reputePhaedru5 has a reputation beyond reputePhaedru5 has a reputation beyond reputePhaedru5 has a reputation beyond reputePhaedru5 has a reputation beyond repute

HMRC state you should file it before you leave so that wasn't right.
The Form P85 is for if you have 'left' the UK, past tense. As in theory you could earn money up until the day you leave (infact my last day at work was only the day before I left) and so if you had already completed the P85 it wouldnt be correct. I did this only last month online before leaving and you have to enter the date you LEFT the UK so if you put a date in the future (if you havent left yet) it doesnt allow you to proceed.

Furthermore if you pay by self assessment you cannot use P85 - again I know this because I did the P85 again after I left the UK and have now received an official letter from the HMRC to my Canadian address telling me, and I quote, "Thank you for sending your completed form P85 Leaving the UK. You can't use this form to claim a tax refund because you pay through Self Assessment" It then goes on to tell me that I have to submit a self assessment and confirmation of my new residency status.
Old May 31st 2018, 5:34 pm

Originally Posted by Phaedru5
The Form P85 is for if you have 'left' the UK, past tense. As in theory you could earn money up until the day you leave (infact my last day at work was only the day before I left) and so if you had already completed the P85 it wouldnt be correct. I did this only last month online before leaving and you have to enter the date you LEFT the UK so if you put a date in the future (if you havent left yet) it doesnt allow you to proceed.

Furthermore if you pay by self assessment you cannot use P85 - again I know this because I did the P85 again after I left the UK and have now received an official letter from the HMRC to my Canadian address telling me, and I quote, "Thank you for sending your completed form P85 Leaving the UK. You can't use this form to claim a tax refund because you pay through Self Assessment" It then goes on to tell me that I have to submit a self assessment and confirmation of my new residency status.
It's for both. You can file before you leave or after. If you future date it then you then it'll be processed once you leave. I had no problem entering a future date. You're right you can't use for Self-Assessment; it's for PAYE only. That may have been your problem.
Old May 31st 2018, 11:02 pm

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute

Turn off the lights!