Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Any HGV technician mechanics done the move???

Any HGV technician mechanics done the move???

Old Jan 3rd 2016, 5:18 pm
Just Joined

hammo1988 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Any HGV technician mechanics done the move???

hello there, i want to move to Canada but torn between the 4 places such as
Nova Scotia
Saskatchewan {Regina}
Alberta
British Columbia
I was just wondering if there are people on here that have made the move and how they are doing also what province you are in?
look forward to hearing from you
kind regards
Old Jan 3rd 2016, 5:51 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Any HGV technician mechanics done the move???

Originally Posted by hammo1988
hello there, i want to move to Canada but torn between the 4 places such as
Nova Scotia
Saskatchewan {Regina}
Alberta
British Columbia
I was just wondering if there are people on here that have made the move and how they are doing also what province you are in?
look forward to hearing from you
kind regards
Do you already have PR? If not, and you need a job offer to get a visa, then I wouldn't worry about a choice of location just yet as you'll have to go wherever you can find an employer prepared to sponsor you and may not get much choice in the matter - you could end up in a province you haven't even looked at!

But if you do have PR and can go wherever you like, then can you plan a visit? You've chosen some very different places and if you can at least barrow it down to a province that would help.

Best of luck.
Old Jan 3rd 2016, 6:21 pm
Just Joined

hammo1988 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
Do you already have PR? If not, and you need a job offer to get a visa, then I wouldn't worry about a choice of location just yet as you'll have to go wherever you can find an employer prepared to sponsor you and may not get much choice in the matter - you could end up in a province you haven't even looked at!

But if you do have PR and can go wherever you like, then can you plan a visit? You've chosen some very different places and if you can at least barrow it down to a province that would help.

Best of luck.

Thank you for the info but to narrow it down i would like to say Regina Saskatchewan or Vancouver BC
i suppose i will have too take a few holidays to each one.
Old Jan 3rd 2016, 6:26 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by hammo1988

Thank you for the info but to narrow it down i would like to say Regina Saskatchewan or Vancouver BC
i suppose i will have too take a few holidays to each one.
Out of interest, why Regina? It's just that it's an unusual choice unless you have a specific reason to go there such as a job offer!

But if you don't have a visa yet then you'll have to go wherever you can find an employer prepared to do all the paperwork and pay $1000 to hire you, so I'd first focus on where your job is in demand and don't get too set on one location in case a job comes up elsewhere.

Best of luck with it.
Old Jan 4th 2016, 12:08 am
BE Enthusiast

flat to the mat has a reputation beyond reputeflat to the mat has a reputation beyond reputeflat to the mat has a reputation beyond reputeflat to the mat has a reputation beyond reputeflat to the mat has a reputation beyond reputeflat to the mat has a reputation beyond reputeflat to the mat has a reputation beyond reputeflat to the mat has a reputation beyond reputeflat to the mat has a reputation beyond reputeflat to the mat has a reputation beyond reputeflat to the mat has a reputation beyond repute

I know Sterling Hornoi (Volvo) and Custom Truck Sales (Kenworth) are crying out for technicians , both have a number of Brits who have been there for a while , a good sign . If you're in contact with them ask if you could be put in touch with a few of their Brit employees via here , email , FB or what ever .
BTW , this is Regina SK .
Old Jan 8th 2016, 6:54 pm
Just Joined

marika g will become famous soon enoughmarika g will become famous soon enough

Hi hammo1988,

We made the move back in 2009 and started off in Calgary but just recently moved to Kelowna, B.C. My hubby is a HGV Technician and had to do his red seal exam when we arrived here, even though he already had over 20 years experience (he did a Volvo apprenticeship from age 16). He has just gone back to work and does 6 on 6 off (3 days/3 nights) but I will let him know that you are looking for info. If you like you can PM me with your email address and when he's back home (or possibly on his change over day) he can send you an email. There are various elements for you to consider such as if you have a family and whether or not you with be bringing in the main income, whilst deciding on where would be best to live and work etc because expenses can vary from province to province. With a bit more info it would be easier to kind of help with giving suggestions. Anyway, PM if you like and I will put you in touch with my hubby