Reload this Page >

Any help on maternity rights??

Wikiposts

Any help on maternity rights??

Old Aug 5th 2014, 10:37 pm
Just Joined

mrs b 2013 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Any help on maternity rights??

Hi looking for advice or pointers in the right direction so here's our situation..

Myself, my husband, 9 yo daughter and 6month old son looking to emigrate to Canada, we are in early stages of researching but we both have family in Alberta and Ontario so looking to move to either of those provinces wherever my husband gets the work. I'm a registered nurse and my husband an engineer in non destructive testing. Plan to move in the next 2-3 years but the one area I'm trying to research and coming up blank.... We want another baby, I believe it is best to have a baby before we go and move in 2-3 years but my husband thinks we should go in a year or so and have our last child over there, our decision needs to be made based on what maternity rights I'd have as a fairly new immigrant, would I benefit from paid maternity leave? As we couldn't afford on one wage. Anyone point me in the right direction??

Thank you in advance
Old Aug 5th 2014, 11:38 pm
Citizenship Nov 10 2016!!

nikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Any help on maternity rights??

Here is a link

Employment Insurance Maternity and Parental Benefits - Service Canada

Depending on your husband work benefits you may get something from there too
Old Aug 6th 2014, 12:09 am
BE Forum Addict

Dashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond repute

It would depend on whether you have worked enough hours before to go on leave. Are you planning to stay in nursing when you move? That's a long tough road, you may not find work too quickly, so take that timescale into account and add it on too. A search should bring up a few threads here on that.

I'm not sure if it's harder to move with a tiny baby or to move to a new country then have one. Tough call.
Old Aug 6th 2014, 12:37 am
Just Joined

Thanks guys I'll take a look
Old Aug 6th 2014, 2:10 am
Concierge

SchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond repute

Here's the link for Ontario's policy - Pregnancy and Parental Leave | Ministry of Labour

Short version, you have to work for 13 weeks before the baby's due date to be eligible. You can be pregnant during this time - so you can work from weeks 20 to 33 and be eligible - but you do have to be employed from at least 13 weeks before baby is due.

This link has information about how much you get - Employment Insurance Maternity and Parental Benefits - Service Canada
Old Aug 6th 2014, 4:21 am
Just Joined

Schnookololy thank you so much for that that's great information. Yes I plan on transferring my nursing registration to a Canadian one once we decide on which province were going for I am going to sit the exams or relevant process to convert my registration. I plan to continue to work after I've had my last baby
Old Aug 6th 2014, 4:43 am

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute

You don't get maternity rights, there may be eligibility. Your have to worked a specific number of qualifying hours in the priod prior to going on maternity leave. You recieve approx 65% of your income as a benefit and this is also taxable. It would be some months, even a year after arrival before being able to qualify. You may want to stay where you are for this and let the British tax payer pick up the tab, rather than moving here and expecting us to pay the bill.
Old Aug 6th 2014, 5:11 am
Concierge

SchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Aviator
You don't get maternity rights, there may be eligibility. Your have to worked a specific number of qualifying hours in the priod prior to going on maternity leave. You recieve approx 65% of your income as a benefit and this is also taxable. It would be some months, even a year after arrival before being able to qualify. You may want to stay where you are for this and let the British tax payer pick up the tab, rather than moving here and expecting us to pay the bill.
Depends on the province. In Ontario you only have to work 13 weeks before your due date to qualify. The amount you receive in benefit might be lower though.
Old Aug 6th 2014, 5:15 am
BE Forum Addict

Dashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond repute

It's based on hours worked, not weeks I believe.
Old Aug 6th 2014, 5:35 am
Concierge

They probably mean 13 weeks at full-time, or equivalent, but if you look at the link I posted, it says this:
Qualifying for Pregnancy Leave

A pregnant employee is entitled to pregnancy leave whether she is a full-time, part-time, permanent or contract employee provided that she:

works for an employer that is covered by the ESA,
and
was hired at least 13 weeks before the date her baby is expected to be born (the "due date").
Note that an employee does not have to actively work the 13 weeks prior to the due date to be eligible for pregnancy leave. It is only necessary that she be hired at least 13 weeks before the baby is expected to be born.

A typical case

Aurélie was hired 15 weeks before her due date. She is eligible to begin her pregnancy leave at any time after being hired, because there are at least 13 weeks between the date she was hired and her due date.

When an employee is off sick

Fatima was hired 15 weeks before her due date. Soon after starting her new job, she was off sick for five weeks. Fatima is eligible for pregnancy leave because there are at least 13 weeks between the date she was hired and her due date. The fact that she did not actually work 13 weeks is irrelevant.

When a baby is born before the due date

Meredith was hired 15 weeks before her due date. However, 11 weeks after she was hired, her baby was born. Meredith is eligible for pregnancy leave to begin on the date the baby was born, because there were at least 13 weeks between the date she was hired and her due date. The fact that her baby was born less than 13 weeks after she was hired is irrelevant.
Old Aug 6th 2014, 5:40 am
BE Forum Addict

That's leave though, and having a job to go back to, yes? To receive any money, you have to have worked a minimum number if hours within the past year, 600 last time I looked but I think it varies.
Old Aug 6th 2014, 5:42 am
Concierge

Ah yes - you are right. That was in the second link I posted:
Are you eligible for EI maternity or parental benefits?

You may be eligible to receive EI maternity or parental benefits if:

you are employed in insurable employment;
you meet the specific criteria for receiving EI maternity or parental benefits;
your normal weekly earnings are reduced by more than 40%; and
you have accumulated at least 600 hours of insurable employment during the qualifying period or, if you are a self-employed fisher, you have earned enough money during the qualifying period.
You have paid EI premiums

If you are employed in insurable employment, your employer will deduct the applicable EI premiums from your wages or salary. There is no minimum or maximum age for paying EI premiums.

You need to pay EI premiums on all your earnings up to a maximum amount. In 2014, for every $100 you earn, your employer will deduct $1.88, until your annual earnings reach the maximum yearly insurable amount of $48,600. The maximum amount of premiums to be paid in 2014 is therefore $913.68.

Since Quebec has its own program that offers maternity, paternity, and parental benefits, the Government of Canada has adjusted the premiums accordingly for that province. In 2014, the premium rate for workers in Quebec is set at $1.53 for every $100 of earnings, up to a maximum amount of $743.58 for the year.
Old Aug 6th 2014, 6:17 am
Just Joined

Aviator I have worked full time for the nhs as a qualified nurse for 4 years and before so worked alongside my university degree to support myself while studying and again previous to that worked full time for 10 years therefore earning my right to maternity leave and have never expected anyone to pick up the bill for me. I don't expect you in Canada to "pay the bill" as you so kindly put it. I simply asked for advice on pointing me in the right direction so i can make an informed decision as to when to plan my next child to do so sooner or later. I will be working full time and my husband and will continue to support ourselves and our family as we do so here in the uk!

To all the others who have been so kind in taking the time to help point me in the right direction it is greatly appreciated thank you
Old Aug 6th 2014, 9:55 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

You may want to stay where you are for this and let the British tax payer pick up the tab, rather than moving here and expecting us to pay the bill.
Hey! British taxpayers may not be too chuffed at your suggestion , given the OP will shortly afterwards disappear off and contribute to the Canadian economy and tax system for the rest of her life.
Old Aug 6th 2014, 7:59 pm
Just Joined

emiiuki is an unknown quantity at this point

Since you are so worried about costs, you should also take into consideration who is going to take care of two babies when you go back to work. I've heard that lots of mums in BC usually quit their jobs after having a baby because child care is very expensive.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.