Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Any expat joined the canadian forces as an officer?

Any expat joined the canadian forces as an officer?

Old Dec 6th 2007, 9:29 pm

Souvenir is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Any expat joined the canadian forces as an officer?

Originally Posted by Madhouse
The CF's current policy on employing non-Canadians is outlined here:

http://www.forces.ca/v3/engraph/reso...en.aspx?bhcp=1

As some of the earlier posts have pointed out, joining the CF is not an easy process and, unlike the Aussies and Kiwis, you have to do all the work yourself. Also, if you are currently serving in the UK forces you have to leave before joining the CF. I know a couple of guys who left the RN who are now serving in the CF. They found the process of getting into the CF extremely tortuous, but worth it.
However, the CF are in the process of introducing a new policy that is intended to make it easier for them to employ non-Canadians. If you have skills they want, the Canadian Forces Recruiting Group (CFRG) will submit for an LMO and employ you on a work permit until you qualify for PR and, in due course, citizenship. It is not in place yet, but keep on eye on the CF Recruiting website for news.

Useful stuff for people wanting to move over (and there seems to be quite a few). But surely what I said earlier is better than keeping an eye on the recruiting website. Phone them. It's their job to recruit members. They must know what the score is. The real score.
Old Dec 7th 2007, 5:36 am
Just Joined

geord342 is an unknown quantity at this point

madhouse. Thanks, i was not aware of those details and thanks for the link. I may have to have a re-think. Thanks again
Old Dec 7th 2007, 2:08 pm
Banned

veteran is just really niceveteran is just really niceveteran is just really niceveteran is just really niceveteran is just really niceveteran is just really niceveteran is just really niceveteran is just really nice

Originally Posted by geord342
madhouse. Thanks, i was not aware of those details and thanks for the link. I may have to have a re-think. Thanks again

If it was that easy, everybody will be doing it, and by the time you know it, there will be no one left in the British and other military.
Old Dec 7th 2007, 3:42 pm
Just Joined

geord342 is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Re: Any expat joined the canadian forces as an officer?

Veteren. I really dont know what u are trying to get at!!! but thanks for the comment anyway
Old Dec 7th 2007, 3:45 pm
Banned

veteran is just really niceveteran is just really niceveteran is just really niceveteran is just really niceveteran is just really niceveteran is just really niceveteran is just really niceveteran is just really nice

geord....I wasn't really getting at anything, am just sayin that it's just as difficult trying to transfer, as it is joining as a new citizen. One still has to go through all the checks, and they want citizens, not even people with PRs

Originally Posted by geord342
Veteren. I really dont know what u are trying to get at!!! but thanks for the comment anyway
Old Dec 8th 2007, 6:11 pm
BE Enthusiast

airbornesapper has a reputation beyond reputeairbornesapper has a reputation beyond reputeairbornesapper has a reputation beyond reputeairbornesapper has a reputation beyond reputeairbornesapper has a reputation beyond reputeairbornesapper has a reputation beyond reputeairbornesapper has a reputation beyond reputeairbornesapper has a reputation beyond reputeairbornesapper has a reputation beyond reputeairbornesapper has a reputation beyond reputeairbornesapper has a reputation beyond repute

There is no new policy folks...it is basically as restrictive as it always has been. If you are deemed to have needed skill sets the Commander CFRG can issue a waiver of citizenship. The basic process is exactly as it is on recruiting website.

If you have the requiste background you would be provided with a letter that would include your conditional offer.

You would submit the letter when you apply for PR status.

A waiver letter is only valid for 6 months (usually).

You would still have to meet all normal entry test standards and medicals. These cannot be undertaken unless an overseas applicant is able to get the waiver letter.

As has been stated, they are hard to get, it can take months even a year to get one.

So no new policy....it is basically as it always has been. I think it would be in the CFs interest to be less restrictive. But I cannot see any real loosening up of things.

Here is what a key paragraph from the waiver letter:

"You are required to provide a copy of this letter at the time you submit your application to Citizenship and Immigration Canada for Permanent Residency as proof of an employment opportunity. You should also notify the processing Canadian Forces Recruiting Center once you have obtained Permanent Residence status in order to complete the recruiting process."

I would encourage any one with considerable experience and skill sets to give it a go and fire off your CV.

This has probably been the best time in years to try and get in the CF without any real ties, except for a compelling desire to start a new life while continuing serving within HM Forces, except in HM Canadian Armed Forces.

Best regards to one and all....

If this reeds poorly it is because I have a massive hangover...a sad story and feeble excuse...

Last edited by airbornesapper; Dec 8th 2007 at 7:07 pm.
Old Dec 8th 2007, 8:51 pm
Forum Regular

Madhouse is a name known to allMadhouse is a name known to allMadhouse is a name known to allMadhouse is a name known to allMadhouse is a name known to allMadhouse is a name known to allMadhouse is a name known to allMadhouse is a name known to allMadhouse is a name known to allMadhouse is a name known to allMadhouse is a name known to all

I applied to join the CF in April by submitting my CV with a covering letter to the CFRG. I heard nothing back, not even an acknowledgment of receipt, for 6 months. My first correspondence from them was in October, when I received a letter informing me that I had been awarded a citizenship waiver and conditional offer of employment.
However, the job offer was conditional on having permanent residency and, as airbornesapper points out, the citizenship waiver is good for just 6 months. Like many others on this website, it will be several more years before I will get to the top of the PR queue. I explained my situation to the CFRG, hoping that they might submit an Arranged Employment Opinion to expedite the processing of my PR application. I was contacted by a desk officer who informed me about a new policy that will make it easier to employ non-Canadians. He told me that the details are still being finalised, but that the CFRG would apply for an LMO for suitably qualified applicants who would then be employed on a work permit whilst they wait for PR. They are also looking at reimbursing the costs of traveling to Canada to undergo the recruiting process.
Old Dec 9th 2007, 1:43 am
Just Joined

ex_REME is an unknown quantity at this point

[QUOTE=Madhouse;5647738]"CFRG would apply for an LMO for suitably qualified applicants" ... I did hear about this, kinda what we use the Citizenship Waiver for.

"also looking at reimbursing the costs of traveling to Canada to undergo the recruiting process" ... also heard this mentioned with backdating for some period, but not holding my breath.

Madhouse, sent you a PM too.
Old Dec 10th 2007, 12:58 pm
BE Enthusiast

ray1968 has a reputation beyond reputeray1968 has a reputation beyond reputeray1968 has a reputation beyond reputeray1968 has a reputation beyond reputeray1968 has a reputation beyond reputeray1968 has a reputation beyond reputeray1968 has a reputation beyond reputeray1968 has a reputation beyond reputeray1968 has a reputation beyond reputeray1968 has a reputation beyond reputeray1968 has a reputation beyond repute

P.S. to this thread

Veteran has been banned he's a previously banned member - I would take anything he says with a Huge pinch of sodium chloride. He seems to have seen it - done it and hand made the T shirt in his spare time when he wasn't captaining a Space shuttle crew or running a marathon in under 2 hrs

Last edited by ray1968; Feb 13th 2008 at 5:17 pm.
Old Dec 10th 2007, 1:23 pm

Souvenir is an unknown quantity at this point

PPS.

I am informed that the the Defense Liaison Staff at the High Commission in London will talk to Brit military types looking to get into the CF. Dunno if that helps but it's another option.