Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Any expat joined the canadian forces as an officer?

Any expat joined the canadian forces as an officer?

Old Nov 22nd 2007, 6:22 pm
Banned

veteran is just really niceveteran is just really niceveteran is just really niceveteran is just really niceveteran is just really niceveteran is just really niceveteran is just really niceveteran is just really nice
Default Re: Any expat joined the canadian forces as an officer?

I think peopel are getting this all muddled up. You can't join the military as an officer with high school qualifications. Go to the website and check this out. Am sure there are officer with no degrees,but they started from scratch long time ago.

Am going regular too, but not via the corporal route, hence the reason for using the degree for the officer route. Am just waiting for my level 3 clearance to come back, and then it's off to basic training in Quebec, and then to Kingston for the CELE training
Old Nov 22nd 2007, 6:52 pm

Souvenir is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by veteran
Am sure there are officer with no degrees,but they started from scratch long time ago.
I'm sure you're right. The one's I met were colonels, ie, they'd been in for many years.

Is that St. Jean you're going to?
Old Nov 22nd 2007, 9:08 pm
BE Enthusiast

airbornesapper has a reputation beyond reputeairbornesapper has a reputation beyond reputeairbornesapper has a reputation beyond reputeairbornesapper has a reputation beyond reputeairbornesapper has a reputation beyond reputeairbornesapper has a reputation beyond reputeairbornesapper has a reputation beyond reputeairbornesapper has a reputation beyond reputeairbornesapper has a reputation beyond reputeairbornesapper has a reputation beyond reputeairbornesapper has a reputation beyond repute

I think peopel are getting this all muddled up. You can't join the military as an officer with high school qualifications. Go to the website and check this out. Am sure there are officer with no degrees,but they started from scratch long time ago.

Am going regular too, but not via the corporal route, hence the reason for using the degree for the officer route. Am just waiting for my level 3 clearance to come back, and then it's off to basic training in Quebec, and then to Kingston for the CELE training
Veteran...what peopel (sic) are getting muddled up? I never said you can join off the street as an officer without a degree.

So I am glad you "am sure there are officer with no degrees," thats a good thing as there are many

They are commissioned under the CFR or SRCP program.

CFR'd from WO and below you will commission as a 2LT with immediate promotion to LT.

CFR as a MWO or CWO and you will commission as a 2LT with immediate promotion to Capt.

SRCP is for CWO only. SRCP CWO commission as a 2LT with immediate promotion to Capt. The plans and entry requirements are distinct. If you want to know the difference Google or ask.

Last week we CFRd two Engr WOs...no degree, its just not required although they can apply to get one with the CF picking up the tab.

Try reading with a view to gaining an understanding.

Cheers, and good luck...

Last edited by airbornesapper; Nov 22nd 2007 at 9:41 pm.
Old Nov 22nd 2007, 9:13 pm

Originally Posted by airbornesapper
Veteran...what peopel (sic) are getting muddled up. I never said you can join off the street without a degree. But many officers do not have a degree.

I am glad you "am sure there are officer with no degrees," thats a good thing as their are many

They are commissioned under the CFR or SRCP program.

CFR'd from WO and below you will commission as a 2LT with immediate promotion to LT.

CFR as a MWO or CWO and you will commission as a 2LT with immediate promotion to Capt.

SRCP is for CWO only. SRCP CWO commission as a 2LT with immediate promotion to Capt. The plans and entry requirements are distinct. If you want to know the difference Google or ask.

Last week we CFRd two Engr WOs...no degree, its just not required although they can apply to get one with the CF picking up the tab.

Try reading with a view to gaining an understanding.

Cheers, and good luck...
Are you in DND HQ by any chance?
Old Nov 22nd 2007, 9:44 pm
BE Enthusiast

airbornesapper has a reputation beyond reputeairbornesapper has a reputation beyond reputeairbornesapper has a reputation beyond reputeairbornesapper has a reputation beyond reputeairbornesapper has a reputation beyond reputeairbornesapper has a reputation beyond reputeairbornesapper has a reputation beyond reputeairbornesapper has a reputation beyond reputeairbornesapper has a reputation beyond reputeairbornesapper has a reputation beyond reputeairbornesapper has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Souvenir
Are you in DND HQ by any chance?
Sovenir.....god no....

Not my scene tanks...
Old Nov 23rd 2007, 12:34 am
Banned

veteran is just really niceveteran is just really niceveteran is just really niceveteran is just really niceveteran is just really niceveteran is just really niceveteran is just really niceveteran is just really nice

Originally Posted by Souvenir
I'm sure you're right. The one's I met were colonels, ie, they'd been in for many years.

Is that St. Jean you're going to?
Yes...correct.

Airbornezapper...do you mind breaking down in plain english, all those abbreviations you mentioned?

Much appreciated
Old Nov 23rd 2007, 1:42 am
BE Enthusiast

Yes...correct.

Airbornezapper...do you mind breaking down in plain english, all those abbreviations you mentioned?

Much appreciated
A little light or is lite reading....they explain better than I.

http://www.admfincs.forces.gc.ca/adm...o/011-06_e.asp

http://www.cfsuo.forces.gc.ca/csss/p...CFRP2007_b.pdf

CFR (Commissioned from the Ranks) is virtually unheard of below the rank of WO, I was CFR'd in Jan 98 from WO. Speaking for the Canadian Military Engineers I only know of one Sgt who was CFR'd but there are likely more. You do not ask to CFR, you have to be offered. You must be able to serve for at least 10 years before you reach CRA (career retirement age).

CFR Officers have to meet Officer Entrance Aptitude Tests and pass interviews/boards, they become General Service Officers if successful.

SRCP officers (Special Requirements Commissioning Plan), CWO's commissioned as Captains for a specific position, usually no further postings and no promotions. Must have 5 years to CRA .

UTPNCM (University Training Plan Non Commissioned Members), these are not CFR Officers. Rather this is a commissioning plan that anyone in the ranks, Pte to CWO can apply for. If selected they become Officer Cadets gain a degree through full time studies and then commission as a Lt.

Hope this clears things up...

Kev out...
Old Nov 23rd 2007, 2:11 am
Just Joined

ex_REME is an unknown quantity at this point

Ex REME are you planning to transfer your BRIT pension to the CFSA (CF pension). Have you been told about "your right to elect." That is a key form which you have 12 months from enrollment to submit after that its game over.

If you don't transfer you will have to do 25 years for an immediate annuity. It has been that way since 1 April 2005 for new entrants.

I transferred 9 years...so now I am in my 30th (30 equals 60%) vice 21 (which is obviously 42%). Have you seen this link...to work your own numbers?

http://www.admfincs.forces.gc.ca/pen...e.asp?sel=calc

If you do sign the election, (for me looking back it would have been financial suicide if I had not) there are things you need to know. PM me if you want to discuss..

Cheers, Kev
Got your PM thanks, drop you a line l8tr, sadly pension thing not an option for me I believe.

Love the posts down the page - milsprache, always makes me smile
Old Nov 23rd 2007, 2:15 am
Just Joined

ex_REME is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Howard1944
Vet, Yes ,you need a degree, but you must also successfully complete a French language immersion programme to be an Officer.

Failure to successfully complete this programme means you will not retain your Rank.
EXcuzeh, je ne comprehendy pa!

It's OK I don't speak French (yet!), not a requirement for me to join, but starting lessons soon. Just got to avoid slotting in the odd Deutsche spreche, like wot I did when the nice lady called to test me!!
Old Nov 23rd 2007, 2:19 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by ex_REME

It's OK I don't speak French (yet!), not a requirement for me to join, but starting lessons soon. Just got to avoid slotting in the odd Deutsche spreche, like wot I did when the nice lady called to test me!!
Is it not..."when da nice frauline"

Zwei buckets of beer bitte....
Old Nov 23rd 2007, 2:40 am
Happy in NB

Dave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ex_REME

I did that while on holiday in France, they seemed to react better than if I just spoke in English
Old Nov 23rd 2007, 2:52 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Dave+Jules
I did that while on holiday in France, they seemed to react better than if I just spoke in English
No...trying to sound like em while still speaking English means your 1/2 fluent.

Hi Dave..back to work now...could have had two more weeks off....I must be nuts...Far from 100%....but getting there...
Old Nov 23rd 2007, 1:52 pm

A little light or is lite reading....they explain better than I.

http://www.admfincs.forces.gc.ca/adm...o/011-06_e.asp

http://www.cfsuo.forces.gc.ca/csss/p...CFRP2007_b.pdf

CFR (Commissioned from the Ranks) is virtually unheard of below the rank of WO, I was CFR'd in Jan 98 from WO. Speaking for the Canadian Military Engineers I only know of one Sgt who was CFR'd but there are likely more. You do not ask to CFR, you have to be offered. You must be able to serve for at least 10 years before you reach CRA (career retirement age).

CFR Officers have to meet Officer Entrance Aptitude Tests and pass interviews/boards, they become General Service Officers if successful.

SRCP officers (Special Requirements Commissioning Plan), CWO's commissioned as Captains for a specific position, usually no further postings and no promotions. Must have 5 years to CRA .

UTPNCM (University Training Plan Non Commissioned Members), these are not CFR Officers. Rather this is a commissioning plan that anyone in the ranks, Pte to CWO can apply for. If selected they become Officer Cadets gain a degree through full time studies and then commission as a Lt.

Hope this clears things up...

Kev out...

When my missus was a Sgt she was offered CFR by a Captain(N), so, yes, you have to be invited. She has also told me about one CWO who, if he took his commission to Captain, would be promoted to Major the next day. A special case, I imagine.

And don't talk about posting. It makes me nervous, particularly at this time of year.
Old Nov 23rd 2007, 2:43 pm

Oh lovely. That nice Mr Harper has just put the boot into the PLD.

Posting to Toronto or Comox anyone? No, I thought not.
Old Nov 23rd 2007, 5:42 pm
Banned

This is what am going for, so you can see that it's a completely different ball game

http://www.forces.ca/v3/engraph/jobs...x?id=83&bhcp=1

Note: Read the entrace requirements for a DEO ( direct entry officer )

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.