Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Any expat gained further education since arriving in Canada?

Any expat gained further education since arriving in Canada?

Old Jun 1st 2010, 1:56 pm
Forum Regular

laa1973 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Any expat gained further education since arriving in Canada?

Hello, Can you tell me please,have any expats landed (I do not mean straight away,say after a couple of years) in Canada and gone on to do further education i.e Degree level whilst holding down their regular work?

This is something i am interested in doing once we arrive.

Thanks
Lee
Old Jun 1st 2010, 2:03 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Any expat gained further education since arriving in Canada?

Originally Posted by laa1973
Hello, Can you tell me please,have any expats landed (I do not mean straight away,say after a couple of years) in Canada and gone on to do further education i.e Degree level whilst holding down their regular work?

Thanks
Lee
An English friend of mine got her Bachelor's from the UofT while working full time. It took yonks and was computer related so the material covered early in the course was obsolete by the end. Useless, and all the more impressive an achievement for its pointlessness.
Old Jun 1st 2010, 2:09 pm
Slightly Canadian

Atlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond repute

I'm doing an MBA part-time and have been for the past 2 1/2 years. It was in theory supposed to take 3 years but at this stage appears to have no end........(It'll probably take me another year)

I balance this with a full time job and, since last year, being a parent. It's hard work. Doing an MBA is an interesting experience as I am 10 years or more older than the average age in my classes. I don't think the MBA initself will do much for me, but it is a Canadian degree to add to my UK one, it does broaden my appeal and most importantly it provides networking opportunities in a small town.
Old Jun 2nd 2010, 8:13 am
Forum Regular

Thanks for the feedback guy's, looking to do further studies once we are in Canada. Like yourselve's whilst trying to work fulltime!

Lee
Old Jun 2nd 2010, 9:52 am
London-San Fran-Vancouver

BadgerNaboo has much to be proud ofBadgerNaboo has much to be proud ofBadgerNaboo has much to be proud ofBadgerNaboo has much to be proud ofBadgerNaboo has much to be proud ofBadgerNaboo has much to be proud ofBadgerNaboo has much to be proud ofBadgerNaboo has much to be proud ofBadgerNaboo has much to be proud ofBadgerNaboo has much to be proud ofBadgerNaboo has much to be proud of

I'm not there yet but I did take a lot of time to research into doing a masters distance learning course at Athabasca University.

The main issues are getting a UK degree converted to a GPA. When I graduated in 1999 my University did not produce transcripts this has been a nightmare..
Old Jun 2nd 2010, 11:08 am
Fluffy Dippindoodle

pinkmcfarquhar has a reputation beyond reputepinkmcfarquhar has a reputation beyond reputepinkmcfarquhar has a reputation beyond reputepinkmcfarquhar has a reputation beyond reputepinkmcfarquhar has a reputation beyond reputepinkmcfarquhar has a reputation beyond reputepinkmcfarquhar has a reputation beyond reputepinkmcfarquhar has a reputation beyond reputepinkmcfarquhar has a reputation beyond reputepinkmcfarquhar has a reputation beyond reputepinkmcfarquhar has a reputation beyond repute

Currently studying for my Bachelor of Special Education whilst working part time.
Old Jun 2nd 2010, 12:14 pm
Slightly Canadian

Atlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BadgerNaboo
I'm not there yet but I did take a lot of time to research into doing a masters distance learning course at Athabasca University.

The main issues are getting a UK degree converted to a GPA. When I graduated in 1999 my University did not produce transcripts this has been a nightmare..
I graduated in 1990 & whilst the Polytechnic I attended couldn't provide a transcript in the Canadian manner, they could provide a list of course taken and grades achieved (so essentially the same info just not called 'transcript'!). That, coupled with taking the GMAT test and my industry experience, made getting onto a MBA programme relatively straightforward.
Old Jun 2nd 2010, 12:25 pm
London-San Fran-Vancouver

BadgerNaboo has much to be proud ofBadgerNaboo has much to be proud ofBadgerNaboo has much to be proud ofBadgerNaboo has much to be proud ofBadgerNaboo has much to be proud ofBadgerNaboo has much to be proud ofBadgerNaboo has much to be proud ofBadgerNaboo has much to be proud ofBadgerNaboo has much to be proud ofBadgerNaboo has much to be proud ofBadgerNaboo has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Atlantic Xpat
I graduated in 1990 & whilst the Polytechnic I attended couldn't provide a transcript in the Canadian manner, they could provide a list of course taken and grades achieved (so essentially the same info just not called 'transcript'!). That, coupled with taking the GMAT test and my industry experience, made getting onto a MBA programme relatively straightforward.
I'm afraid that even though I went to the London College of Arts (biggest group of art colleges in the UK).
I was told they only kept records for seven years and had no break down of my grades or course structure.

I did find a wonderful person at the University who has done his best to produce what he can so I will have to see if that is good enough.
Old Jun 2nd 2010, 1:55 pm
BE Forum Addict

triumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond repute

I've completed a B.Ed and a Masters Degree here.

I found both the program delivery and the teaching better than my Uni (London) in the UK.

Or maybe I just preferred the topics.

I hated reading Law
Old Jun 3rd 2010, 1:40 am
BE Enthusiast

Chookie has a reputation beyond reputeChookie has a reputation beyond reputeChookie has a reputation beyond reputeChookie has a reputation beyond reputeChookie has a reputation beyond reputeChookie has a reputation beyond reputeChookie has a reputation beyond reputeChookie has a reputation beyond reputeChookie has a reputation beyond reputeChookie has a reputation beyond reputeChookie has a reputation beyond repute

Not doing a degree, but I am going to train as a massage therapist starting in September.
Old Jun 3rd 2010, 4:46 am
BE Enthusiast

scottymallo is a jewel in the roughscottymallo is a jewel in the roughscottymallo is a jewel in the roughscottymallo is a jewel in the rough

Doing a power engineer course distance learning. Enjoying it even though its a level below my uk equivalent which are invalid over here!
Old Jun 3rd 2010, 5:10 am
Forum Regular

SteveHarris has a brilliant futureSteveHarris has a brilliant futureSteveHarris has a brilliant futureSteveHarris has a brilliant futureSteveHarris has a brilliant futureSteveHarris has a brilliant future

Thanks
Lee
Did my MBA here in Canada (to add to the Bsc(Hons) from the UK) whilst working full-time. It basically felt like doing two jobs every day of every week for two years.

Cheers - Steve
Old Jun 4th 2010, 2:41 am
Soulless bureaucrat

Lemonfish has a reputation beyond reputeLemonfish has a reputation beyond reputeLemonfish has a reputation beyond reputeLemonfish has a reputation beyond reputeLemonfish has a reputation beyond reputeLemonfish has a reputation beyond reputeLemonfish has a reputation beyond reputeLemonfish has a reputation beyond reputeLemonfish has a reputation beyond reputeLemonfish has a reputation beyond reputeLemonfish has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks
Lee
I'm studying for a post-graduate certificate at University of Ottawa. Taking one course per semester, which is one evening a week.

Hard to fit even that in around a full-time job, but apart from it being relevant to the work I do, it has also been good for understanding about another aspect of Canadian life I wouldn't otherwise see.

Also, studying here will be good for your future employment. Am involved in recruiting for a few jobs at the moment - and noticed that a lot of newcomers to Canada do further study here. Probably because these qualifications are more recognized by employers.

Good luck with it!
Old Jun 4th 2010, 2:49 am
BE Enthusiast

Mistress Miggins has a reputation beyond reputeMistress Miggins has a reputation beyond reputeMistress Miggins has a reputation beyond reputeMistress Miggins has a reputation beyond reputeMistress Miggins has a reputation beyond reputeMistress Miggins has a reputation beyond reputeMistress Miggins has a reputation beyond reputeMistress Miggins has a reputation beyond reputeMistress Miggins has a reputation beyond reputeMistress Miggins has a reputation beyond reputeMistress Miggins has a reputation beyond repute

Got an Addictions diploma from McMaster Uni in Ontario, now finishing my Bsc through the OU and then on to my masters in counselling psychology or possibly in distance ed........I work part time as a tutor a college and consult for a couple of organizations here on workshops and the like.

Really tough as OH works away and the kids are 8 and 6, last year I burnt out, no putting it any other way. Be careful if you have a family, make sure you give yourself adequate and you discuss what the commitment is with your OH in detail, as sometimes I don't think people realise what hard work it is......

Now I need to go study existential psychotherapy........... (load of shite, but hey ho lol)

Best of luck
Mrs M x
Old Jun 4th 2010, 8:09 am
Forum Regular

Thanks for all the replies, never expected to get such a good response.
Sounds like you are all studying hard!

I would like to study for some kind of Engineering degree? Hopefully it will open up more work opportunities?

Good luck to all of you studying,keep those replies coming

Lee

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.