Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Any Expat Deer Hunters out there?

Any Expat Deer Hunters out there?

Old Sep 23rd 2006, 6:06 am
BE Enthusiast

London7 has much to be proud ofLondon7 has much to be proud ofLondon7 has much to be proud ofLondon7 has much to be proud ofLondon7 has much to be proud ofLondon7 has much to be proud ofLondon7 has much to be proud ofLondon7 has much to be proud ofLondon7 has much to be proud ofLondon7 has much to be proud ofLondon7 has much to be proud of
Default Re: Any Expat Deer Hunters out there?

Originally Posted by gopher
in short yes i would be willing to arrest people who were breaking the law , indeed i spent a lot of time dealing with rural crimes which i took a keen interest in being a law abiding country sports fan , in fact i have put myself in considerable danger to deal with people who were abusing animals and also animal rights protesters
please note that i hunted with 1 dog at a time which i am sure is not illegal therefore i would not be breaking the law continuing my sport if i returned to the uk
also my children are raised with respect and compassion for animals but are raised to accept that not all meat comes from tescos wrapped in cellophane or mcdonalds in a burger
those people who entered your fathers land as trespassers obviously committed a civil offence and yet to class all people who hunt with a dog, or dogs pre ban, as criminals or thugs is unjust , wouldnt you say?
as regards the comment you cant be that naive - im sorry you have lost me on that , please explain in what context- i never said that some criminals couldnt be classed as thugs no matrer what crime they have committed
oopppsss.meant moose.its late!
ps agree you should not tell kids that animals are cleanly wrapped in cellophane, but how does that link to bloodsport?
just explain they are butchered in an abbatoir, sually after an horrendous long journey on a truck, with no water, for human consumption.ie the truth!
Old Sep 23rd 2006, 8:11 am
BE Enthusiast

hudd is a glorious beacon of lighthudd is a glorious beacon of lighthudd is a glorious beacon of lighthudd is a glorious beacon of lighthudd is a glorious beacon of lighthudd is a glorious beacon of lighthudd is a glorious beacon of lighthudd is a glorious beacon of lighthudd is a glorious beacon of lighthudd is a glorious beacon of lighthudd is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by rae
no sorry its not. by very definition i don't like the term blood sport. killing for the sake of it is wrong and certainly isn't sport as the odds are so stacked against the animal.
hunting is exactly that. again by definition you alone are tracking an animal with intent to eat it and use other parts from it once you catch it. telescopic sights are necessary for a humane and accurate kill and to prevent background accidents.
there is a difference and this centres on means employed and motive. you simply cannot compare some toff with 50 hounds, 12 horses and a dozen half wits on quad's, chasing a single animal to impress Daphne, to a person alone, looking for their supper.
I never when hunting when I lived in Canada as I did not agree with the principle taking a shed load of beer with you and getting "pissed up" and driving around in the bush looking for deer etc. This may not be all hunter, but I heard a lot of stories of some pretty dangerous activities. Its definitely a male bonding activity.

The idea of wrecking a truck, blowing holes in the roof of you truck never appealed to me. One of my former colleagues was an ex policeman who said it went hunting only once, as he said being shot at by trigger happy hunters was not his idea of sport.

Its quite funny people think rednecks hunt deer etc for food so they can eat its a bit out dated. At lot of the guys who I worked with spent a few grand on a week's hunting trip. Well to me thats not a poor mans sport!!
It is much cheaper to buy a side of beer from a butcher!!

Some said they would rather spend that money hunting than take the wife and kids on holiday.

I also found it was a more of a blue collar workers activity where I lived in Canada and very few of the white collar worker hunted. I assume its a bit of a class reversal compared to the UK.
Old Sep 23rd 2006, 8:52 am
Forum Regular

MrsWillow is just really niceMrsWillow is just really niceMrsWillow is just really niceMrsWillow is just really niceMrsWillow is just really niceMrsWillow is just really niceMrsWillow is just really niceMrsWillow is just really niceMrsWillow is just really nice

I for one can not wait until we are back in Canada and DH can fill our freezer with meat that he has shot.

I can only take anti - shooting views seriously if they come from a strict vegetarian. But people that go around saying my DH and family are cruel make me so angry. If they are veggie, fair enough. But if they eat meat, give me a break. The public should be more concerned with where the intensive chicken breasts and bacon come from that they throw in their trolley every week.

We shoot our own food here in England and we will be doing the same in Canada.

I feel very strongly about this one
Old Sep 23rd 2006, 2:30 pm
BE Enthusiast

London7 has much to be proud ofLondon7 has much to be proud ofLondon7 has much to be proud ofLondon7 has much to be proud ofLondon7 has much to be proud ofLondon7 has much to be proud ofLondon7 has much to be proud ofLondon7 has much to be proud ofLondon7 has much to be proud ofLondon7 has much to be proud ofLondon7 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by MrsWillow
I for one can not wait until we are back in Canada and DH can fill our freezer with meat that he has shot.

I can only take anti - shooting views seriously if they come from a strict vegetarian. But people that go around saying my DH and family are cruel make me so angry. If they are veggie, fair enough. But if they eat meat, give me a break. The public should be more concerned with where the intensive chicken breasts and bacon come from that they throw in their trolley every week.

We shoot our own food here in England and we will be doing the same in Canada.

I feel very strongly about this one

good point! i dont eat animals or wear them, cant be doing with soppy people who coo over kittens, then eat battery meat!!!!!
Old Sep 23rd 2006, 6:35 pm
Forum Regular

gopher has a brilliant futuregopher has a brilliant futuregopher has a brilliant futuregopher has a brilliant futuregopher has a brilliant futuregopher has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by London7
relax...................why the aggression? god help the next mosse who gets in your way
sorry , where did i show you aggression
please remember that it is you who has used the words inadequate , thug and the angry avatar when describing people who were involved in a legal activity you are opposed to.... i have simply asked you to qualify your statements

as you still have not done so i will tell you that you are, for whatever reason spreading misinformation ,ie it is not illegal to lamp and hunt with a dog per se in the uk...

you insult people and for whatever reason refuse to justify your statements and therefore i really cannot see the point in trying to illicit sensible discussion from you anymore... goodbye

i apologise to scimdarren for how this thread has degenerated but in this instance i cant stand by whilst someone considers it ok to insult people but can offer no proof to justify their claims.
Old Sep 23rd 2006, 6:56 pm
BE Enthusiast

please remember that it is you who has used the words inadequate , thug and the angry avatar when describing people who were involved in a legal activity you are opposed to.... i have simply asked you to qualify your statements

as you still have not done so i will tell you that you are, for whatever reason spreading misinformation ,ie it is not illegal to lamp and hunt with a dog per se in the uk...

you insult people and for whatever reason refuse to justify your statements and therefore i really cannot see the point in trying to illicit sensible discussion from you anymore... goodbye

i apologise to scimdarren for how this thread has degenerated but in this instance i cant stand by whilst someone considers it ok to insult people but can offer no proof to justify their claims.

You have your views I have mine.
Like I said, dont take life so seriously, chill!
Didnt you come here for a more relaxed life?
Now go stalk some deer or something..............
ps just been downtown and spotted a battered old pick being driven by two toothless rednecks in plaid shirts!!!! ha ha
Wonder where they are going this fine morning? Hide all you wildlife, morons on the loose
ok, i am being silly now, no offence!
Old Sep 23rd 2006, 7:07 pm
Premium Member

Tiaribbon is a glorious beacon of lightTiaribbon is a glorious beacon of lightTiaribbon is a glorious beacon of lightTiaribbon is a glorious beacon of lightTiaribbon is a glorious beacon of lightTiaribbon is a glorious beacon of lightTiaribbon is a glorious beacon of lightTiaribbon is a glorious beacon of lightTiaribbon is a glorious beacon of lightTiaribbon is a glorious beacon of lightTiaribbon is a glorious beacon of light

Karma is on it's way to you!!

I am of exactly the same mind-set as you and it mildly irks me when people spew ignorant garbage and are not taken to task over it. Well done for remaining calm and literate in the face of adversity LOL!!
Old Sep 23rd 2006, 9:15 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Tiaribbon
Karma is on it's way to you!!

I am of exactly the same mind-set as you and it mildly irks me when people spew ignorant garbage and are not taken to task over it. Well done for remaining calm and literate in the face of adversity LOL!!

Whats the ignorant garbage? As i have made clear I am speaking from my experiences of hunters in the Uk and here, both as a child growing up in a rural area,witnessing members of my family fox and rabbit hunting, and as a lawyer defending men for firearms offences, who 9 times out of 10 had hunting experience.
I made it clear I did not know the poster who took such strong offence personally, so could not draw judgement, neither would I.
Its a fact that hunting with dogs is now illegal in the UK.
He then got excited about lamping, if he read the post again he would see that I did not state that lamping was illegal. I said "or", meaning thugs still hunt even though its now illegal, OR they go lamping, where did I say that was illegal?
Maybe you need to read the Burns report, it explains the exemptions for killing rabbits with ONE dog, if you have as strong desire to kill them.
I then questioned if the poster would arrest his fellow hunters now back home for being criminals, which is fair comment. (lampers with one dog excused, dont want a flood of posts).
Hope thats made it clear.
Its now becoming rather tedious, lighten up, cant we have some wind ups on this site anymore?
Old Sep 23rd 2006, 10:51 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

A vegetarian lawyer? Jaysus wept.
Old Sep 23rd 2006, 11:36 pm

Steve_P is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Novocastrian
A vegetarian lawyer? Jaysus wept.

Say it isn't so.

...and I thought all lawyers were a variety of shark.
Old Sep 23rd 2006, 11:39 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

willmore has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by Hangman
Say it isn't so.

...and I thought all lawyers were a variety of shark.

Hey, my bro's a lawyer and a nicer one you will never meet!
Old Sep 23rd 2006, 11:46 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

good point! i dont eat animals or wear them
Since you admit to being a lawyer, I don't think we can believe this without corroboration. Have you met any poster (who is not a lawyer) who can vouch for you ?

Where are you, btw, on animal testing ? Do you take prescribed drugs or use cosmetics ?
Old Sep 23rd 2006, 11:50 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by willmore
Hey, my bro's a lawyer and a nicer one you will never meet!
They may very well be nice. However, their occupation calls for professional dishonesty and we should not believe anything they say. I don't mind lawyers coming to barbecues in the backyard but I won't let them in the house unattended.
Old Sep 23rd 2006, 11:57 pm
BE Enthusiast

flipflop has a reputation beyond reputeflipflop has a reputation beyond reputeflipflop has a reputation beyond reputeflipflop has a reputation beyond reputeflipflop has a reputation beyond reputeflipflop has a reputation beyond reputeflipflop has a reputation beyond reputeflipflop has a reputation beyond reputeflipflop has a reputation beyond reputeflipflop has a reputation beyond reputeflipflop has a reputation beyond repute

Hi
So, as an officer if you returned to the UK, you would be willing to give up hunting with dogs, as this activity is now illegal, and arrest people for the sport you took part in?
I hope so.
I can only speak from experience in the UK, all the men who trespassed on my fathers land to terrorise rabbits and foxes were highly unpleasant people, who were very intimidating, come on be honest, you know, especially being an ex copper, the thugs it attracts.They not only trespassed but often broke down fences where my horses were, and had no respect for private property.
You cannot be that niave.
Raising your kids to kill is a personal choice, I prefer to raise my child to respect and show compassion to all beings, human or animal.
here here
Old Sep 23rd 2006, 11:58 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

willmore has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by dbd33
They may very well be nice. However, their occupation calls for professional dishonesty and we should not believe anything they say. I don't mind lawyers coming to barbecues in the backyard but I won't let them in the house unattended.

I wouldnt leave anyone in my house unattended. God they might steal my hobnobs!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.