Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Any Expat Deer Hunters out there?

Any Expat Deer Hunters out there?

Old Sep 22nd 2006, 7:12 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Any Expat Deer Hunters out there?

Originally Posted by Morwenna
For some strange reason, veal is the only thing I don't eat for concientious objector reasons. ..... although I do think it is very tasty!

Personally I don't think I could ever bring myself to shoot anything, but I have been known to catch, kill and gut fish! I know, I'm a bad person.

I'll eat most other creatures that somebody else has killed.

As I think I have said before on here, the only hunting and shooting that I'd find fun would be with a camera.
Fishing. Oh dear. I've fished, gutted, and eaten. Perhaps the best barbecue evah was a tuna I had caught three hours before. Bliss. That's killing for pleasure but, I submit, it's nothing like as bad as keeping a live animal in miserable conditions. When we eat a fast food chicken we shouldn't feel guilty because it's dead but because it lived so poorly.
Old Sep 22nd 2006, 9:10 pm
BE Enthusiast

London7 has much to be proud ofLondon7 has much to be proud ofLondon7 has much to be proud ofLondon7 has much to be proud ofLondon7 has much to be proud ofLondon7 has much to be proud ofLondon7 has much to be proud ofLondon7 has much to be proud ofLondon7 has much to be proud ofLondon7 has much to be proud ofLondon7 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Atlantic Xpat
My definition would be pretty much someone who links teaching kids the responsibilities of hunting with the increase of violence in society. Alas and alack I fear the increase of violence in society could be linked to violent films/tv/computer games far easier than the participation of children in hunting. I could generalise by talking about city folk vs rural folk etc etc. But I wont.

Hunting is a more popular and widespread sport in Canada than in UK. A factor of history, population and available land smongst other things. It's a very 'UK' view imho to come here and start talking about how evil it all is. You don't have to participate in 'blood sports' but you don't have to be quite so anti either do you? For any kind of record I haven't participated in hunting in Canada so far apart from eating parts of the moose that my wife's family killed last year. It was very tasty.

Hi
Dont be fooled by the name, i was raised in the country, and some members of my family participated in fox hunting and shooting, personally I witnessed the cruelty first hand, and made a decision very early in my life that I could never be part of it. Please tell me the thrill of killing such a beautiful creature as a bear? Is that not a macho thing out here, and why is it that the majority of hunters i have seen here (BC) are moronic rednecks?? Just like the thugs who break the law every day In England and still hunt with dogs or go lamping?
Good [point though, about the video games etc, agree with you there!
I do not agree its a "UK" view, plenty of Canadians I know are appalled by hunting.
Old Sep 22nd 2006, 9:37 pm
Forum Regular

gopher has a brilliant futuregopher has a brilliant futuregopher has a brilliant futuregopher has a brilliant futuregopher has a brilliant futuregopher has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by London7
Hi
Dont be fooled by the name, i was raised in the country, and some members of my family participated in fox hunting and shooting, personally I witnessed the cruelty first hand, and made a decision very early in my life that I could never be part of it. Please tell me the thrill of killing such a beautiful creature as a bear? Is that not a macho thing out here, and why is it that the majority of hunters i have seen here (BC) are moronic rednecks?? Just like the thugs who break the law every day In England and still hunt with dogs or go lamping?
Good [point though, about the video games etc, agree with you there!
I do not agree its a "UK" view, plenty of Canadians I know are appalled by hunting.
ok , can you please give me the piece of legislation that has made lamping illegal??
i too was raised in rural uk but chose to become actively involved in country sports and am raising my children to be involved in hunting here in canada.
i was also a police officer for 10 years in the uk , a job i did because i wanted to help those people who were not in a position to help themselves.(twee i know but the truth) i am not going to recount any of the specific incidents in my career here but i will invite you to evidence your comment that i am a thug because i used a dog in my hunting and i used to go lamping.
Old Sep 22nd 2006, 11:55 pm
BE Enthusiast

London7 has much to be proud ofLondon7 has much to be proud ofLondon7 has much to be proud ofLondon7 has much to be proud ofLondon7 has much to be proud ofLondon7 has much to be proud ofLondon7 has much to be proud ofLondon7 has much to be proud ofLondon7 has much to be proud ofLondon7 has much to be proud ofLondon7 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by gopher
ok , can you please give me the piece of legislation that has made lamping illegal??
i too was raised in rural uk but chose to become actively involved in country sports and am raising my children to be involved in hunting here in canada.
i was also a police officer for 10 years in the uk , a job i did because i wanted to help those people who were not in a position to help themselves.(twee i know but the truth) i am not going to recount any of the specific incidents in my career here but i will invite you to evidence your comment that i am a thug because i used a dog in my hunting and i used to go lamping.
Hi
So, as an officer if you returned to the UK, you would be willing to give up hunting with dogs, as this activity is now illegal, and arrest people for the sport you took part in?
I hope so.
I can only speak from experience in the UK, all the men who trespassed on my fathers land to terrorise rabbits and foxes were highly unpleasant people, who were very intimidating, come on be honest, you know, especially being an ex copper, the thugs it attracts.They not only trespassed but often broke down fences where my horses were, and had no respect for private property.
You cannot be that niave.
Raising your kids to kill is a personal choice, I prefer to raise my child to respect and show compassion to all beings, human or animal.
Old Sep 22nd 2006, 11:57 pm
BE Enthusiast

forgot to say, sorry, i dont know you, how do i know whether you are a thug or not?
as a defence lawyer i met plenty of cops who were thugs
Old Sep 23rd 2006, 12:37 am
Slightly Canadian

Atlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond repute

Hi
So, as an officer if you returned to the UK, you would be willing to give up hunting with dogs, as this activity is now illegal, and arrest people for the sport you took part in?
I hope so.
I can only speak from experience in the UK, all the men who trespassed on my fathers land to terrorise rabbits and foxes were highly unpleasant people, who were very intimidating, come on be honest, you know, especially being an ex copper, the thugs it attracts.They not only trespassed but often broke down fences where my horses were, and had no respect for private property.
Raising your kids to kill is a personal choice, I prefer to raise my child to respect and show compassion to all beings, human or animal.
Ahh for thugs, we could read 'poachers' eh?! Get orf moi laaaaannnnddd!

I applaud your moral highground, my problem is when animals per se get all the attention and compassion and the multitude of ills that are affecting humans fade into the background. I also believe that hunting is part of the outdoors culture that is a fundamental part of the Canadian psyche. But maybe not in Vancouver eh?!
Old Sep 23rd 2006, 12:47 am
Cynically amused.

dingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond repute

I applaud your moral highground, my problem is when animals per se get all the attention and compassion and the multitude of ills that are affecting humans fade into the background. I also believe that hunting is part of the outdoors culture that is a fundamental part of the Canadian psyche. But maybe not in Vancouver eh?!
Oh, yes, the outdoors culture is in Vancouver. The mullet was lovingly cultivated on these shores, along with the pre-requisite truck, plaid shirt and an IQ equivalent or less to the holders shoe size.
Old Sep 23rd 2006, 1:24 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Biiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Morwenna
For some strange reason, veal is the only thing I don't eat for concientious objector reasons. ..... although I do think it is very tasty!
I didn't realise that crates were banned in the UK over a decade ago, and due to be banned in the rest of the EU next year... does Canada use crates?
Old Sep 23rd 2006, 1:38 am
Cynically amused.

dingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Biiiiink
I didn't realise that crates were banned in the UK over a decade ago, and due to be banned in the rest of the EU next year... does Canada use crates?
Yup. All down a certain road by me in the valley here - lines of white plastic crates with distressed calves tied to them.
Old Sep 23rd 2006, 1:51 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by dingbat
Oh, yes, the outdoors culture is in Vancouver. The mullet was lovingly cultivated on these shores, along with the pre-requisite truck, plaid shirt and an IQ equivalent or less to the holders shoe size.
fantastic!
Old Sep 23rd 2006, 1:52 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by dingbat
Yup. All down a certain road by me in the valley here - lines of white plastic crates with distressed calves tied to them.

now there is cruelty at its best. at least with hunting, the animal has some life outdors before its brains are blown out by a moronic canadian or ex pat!
Wheres the justification for that kind of suffering, just for white meat?
Old Sep 23rd 2006, 1:56 am
BE Enthusiast

ha ha.love that!
i dont know a situation where animal issues come before human, do you?
They are different, but my opinion is that other creatures can suffer, and the most vunerable in society must be protected surely?
Old Sep 23rd 2006, 4:08 am
Forum Regular

gopher has a brilliant futuregopher has a brilliant futuregopher has a brilliant futuregopher has a brilliant futuregopher has a brilliant futuregopher has a brilliant future

forgot to say, sorry, i dont know you, how do i know whether you are a thug or not?
as a defence lawyer i met plenty of cops who were thugs
as a defence lawyer you should be familiar with the word evidence. i will repeat show me the legislation that has made lamping in the uk illegal and as you say you do not know me as i do not know you and yet you assume i am a thug .... i have made no assumptions about you based on your career or background ... evidence the fact that i am a thug please
Old Sep 23rd 2006, 4:40 am
Forum Regular

Hi
I hope so.
in short yes i would be willing to arrest people who were breaking the law , indeed i spent a lot of time dealing with rural crimes which i took a keen interest in being a law abiding country sports fan , in fact i have put myself in considerable danger to deal with people who were abusing animals and also animal rights protesters
please note that i hunted with 1 dog at a time which i am sure is not illegal therefore i would not be breaking the law continuing my sport if i returned to the uk
also my children are raised with respect and compassion for animals but are raised to accept that not all meat comes from tescos wrapped in cellophane or mcdonalds in a burger
those people who entered your fathers land as trespassers obviously committed a civil offence and yet to class all people who hunt with a dog, or dogs pre ban, as criminals or thugs is unjust , wouldnt you say?
as regards the comment you cant be that naive - im sorry you have lost me on that , please explain in what context- i never said that some criminals couldnt be classed as thugs no matrer what crime they have committed
Old Sep 23rd 2006, 6:04 am
BE Enthusiast

Wink Re: Any Expat Deer Hunters out there?

in short yes i would be willing to arrest people who were breaking the law , indeed i spent a lot of time dealing with rural crimes which i took a keen interest in being a law abiding country sports fan , in fact i have put myself in considerable danger to deal with people who were abusing animals and also animal rights protesters
please note that i hunted with 1 dog at a time which i am sure is not illegal therefore i would not be breaking the law continuing my sport if i returned to the uk
also my children are raised with respect and compassion for animals but are raised to accept that not all meat comes from tescos wrapped in cellophane or mcdonalds in a burger
those people who entered your fathers land as trespassers obviously committed a civil offence and yet to class all people who hunt with a dog, or dogs pre ban, as criminals or thugs is unjust , wouldnt you say?
as regards the comment you cant be that naive - im sorry you have lost me on that , please explain in what context- i never said that some criminals couldnt be classed as thugs no matrer what crime they have committed

relax...................why the aggression? god help the next mosse who gets in your way

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.