Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Any Expat Deer Hunters out there?

Any Expat Deer Hunters out there?

Old Sep 22nd 2006, 12:06 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Any Expat Deer Hunters out there?

Originally Posted by rae
that said, hunting red neck style with super large scope and beer for the hell of it, is not hunting at all, it is exactly as described, red neck fun.

No doubt. Caged animal "hunts" are even worse. However, there's a case to be made that the reason some species are able to survive is that they are hunted. It's the hunters who want elk, for example, running free in large numbers, ranchers would just as soon stamp them out so it may be that the loss of a few animals to hunting benefits the species overall.

I don't want to argue this too strongly as disagreeing with a shrill veggie woman might endanger my status as a Guardinista.
Old Sep 22nd 2006, 12:46 pm
BE Enthusiast

sinope has a reputation beyond reputesinope has a reputation beyond reputesinope has a reputation beyond reputesinope has a reputation beyond reputesinope has a reputation beyond reputesinope has a reputation beyond reputesinope has a reputation beyond reputesinope has a reputation beyond reputesinope has a reputation beyond reputesinope has a reputation beyond reputesinope has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rae
i don't approve of these people swanning around terrorising animals for a spot of jolly old entertainment, tradition, keep the peasants in line etc, however, there are a wealth of countryside issues which i am sure most are aware, that affect this debate, which as a townie i feel uncomfortable in having comment on. that said, hunting red neck style with super large scope and beer for the hell of it, is not hunting at all, it is exactly as described, red neck fun.
man kill animal, man eat animal, thats the way of it i'm afraid, you have the option not to participate of course, but hypocrisy isn't the issue.
It is deeply hypocritical to disapprove of blood sports in one country, emigrate to another country and participate in blood sports. It is all killing fluffy animals for fun whether you do it from horseback, pickup or on foot and whether your weapon is a rifle, crossbow or hound pack.
Old Sep 22nd 2006, 12:51 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sinope
It is deeply hypocritical to disapprove of blood sports in one country, emigrate to another country and participate in blood sports. It is all killing fluffy animals for fun whether you do it from horseback, pickup or on foot and whether your weapon is a rifle, crossbow or hound pack.
Perhaps he could hunt raccoons or beavers, then it wouldn't just be for fun but to remove pests.
Old Sep 22nd 2006, 12:55 pm
BE Enthusiast

sinope has a reputation beyond reputesinope has a reputation beyond reputesinope has a reputation beyond reputesinope has a reputation beyond reputesinope has a reputation beyond reputesinope has a reputation beyond reputesinope has a reputation beyond reputesinope has a reputation beyond reputesinope has a reputation beyond reputesinope has a reputation beyond reputesinope has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbd33
Perhaps he could hunt raccoons or beavers, then it wouldn't just be for fun but to remove pests.
Old Sep 22nd 2006, 12:57 pm
rae
Settled.

rae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sinope
no sorry its not. by very definition i don't like the term blood sport. killing for the sake of it is wrong and certainly isn't sport as the odds are so stacked against the animal.
hunting is exactly that. again by definition you alone are tracking an animal with intent to eat it and use other parts from it once you catch it. telescopic sights are necessary for a humane and accurate kill and to prevent background accidents.
there is a difference and this centres on means employed and motive. you simply cannot compare some toff with 50 hounds, 12 horses and a dozen half wits on quad's, chasing a single animal to impress Daphne, to a person alone, looking for their supper.
Old Sep 22nd 2006, 1:32 pm
Ontario

Sutherlands is a splendid one to beholdSutherlands is a splendid one to beholdSutherlands is a splendid one to beholdSutherlands is a splendid one to beholdSutherlands is a splendid one to beholdSutherlands is a splendid one to beholdSutherlands is a splendid one to beholdSutherlands is a splendid one to beholdSutherlands is a splendid one to beholdSutherlands is a splendid one to beholdSutherlands is a splendid one to behold

Well the way I look at it ......

Killing an animal for food is ok.......

Killing to keep population numbers down....only if done humanly

Killing for fun ....not

Killing to ware....not
Old Sep 22nd 2006, 1:40 pm

hot wasabi peas is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Butch Cassidy
We need that in Alberta!!! Far too many slobs about time we culled some.
:scared:

My time is up! ( Unless I can borrow some of your clothes. )
Old Sep 22nd 2006, 1:52 pm
Assimilated Pauper

Originally Posted by Sutherlands
Well the way I look at it ......

Killing an animal for food is ok.......

Killing to keep population numbers down....only if done humanly

Killing for fun ....not

Killing to ware....not
It's not so simple as all that.

Is eating veal or Foie gras ok ?

Is keeping PMU mares, Tennessee Walking Horses or circus bears alive more cruel than killing them ?

What's a humane killing, captive bolt or only chemical euthanasia ?

So long as we're going to kill the seals anyway why not wear their fur and sell whacking tours ?

I don't think animal welfare is a topic that lends itself to peta type ranting though I'm all in favour of naked protests by the well endowed.
Old Sep 22nd 2006, 3:50 pm
BE Enthusiast

London7 has much to be proud ofLondon7 has much to be proud ofLondon7 has much to be proud ofLondon7 has much to be proud ofLondon7 has much to be proud ofLondon7 has much to be proud ofLondon7 has much to be proud ofLondon7 has much to be proud ofLondon7 has much to be proud ofLondon7 has much to be proud ofLondon7 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Atlantic Xpat
Not as sick as the namby pamby, PC, animal hugging 'oh its wrong to hunt/kill/eat animals, that's the root of all the ills of society' makes me.

and your point is.........................................
whats your definetion os animal huggng namby pamby?
just because i refuse to participate in blood sports, there is something wrong with me?
strange views you have.....................
Old Sep 22nd 2006, 6:03 pm
Forum Regular

gopher has a brilliant futuregopher has a brilliant futuregopher has a brilliant futuregopher has a brilliant futuregopher has a brilliant futuregopher has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by London7
just because i refuse to participate in blood sports, there is something wrong with me?
as strange as you feeling the need to call somebody inadequate because they happen to participate in a legal pastime that you do not agree with??
Old Sep 22nd 2006, 6:35 pm
Forum Regular

gopher has a brilliant futuregopher has a brilliant futuregopher has a brilliant futuregopher has a brilliant futuregopher has a brilliant futuregopher has a brilliant future

It's not so simple as all that.

Is eating veal or Foie gras ok ?

Is keeping PMU mares, Tennessee Walking Horses or circus bears alive more cruel than killing them ?

What's a humane killing, captive bolt or only chemical euthanasia ?

So long as we're going to kill the seals anyway why not wear their fur and sell whacking tours ?

I don't think animal welfare is a topic that lends itself to peta type ranting though I'm all in favour of naked protests by the well endowed.
there are some valid issues here (although i wouldnt be in favour of any man no matter how well endowed they were protesting naked )

if we say that it is cruel to not allow an animal to exhibit its natural behaviour then who is more cruel - the man who hunts and uses his labrador to retrieve game or the man who only lets the dog out to exercise??
the man who keeps battery chickens or the man who breeds and fights gamefowl ??
i would never advocate or want to be involved in dog fighting but is a bull terrier dying doing something it is genetically programmed to do more cruel than keeping it chained up in the yard ??
yet a hunter , cockfighter( there is no way of saying it without inviting double entendre )or dog fighter are all considered cruel... maybe it is because there is generally a death at the end of it??? this is getting way too philosophical now
personally i think we should consider more the life and means of death of the animal rather than simply the fact that it dies
Old Sep 22nd 2006, 6:40 pm
Assimilated Pauper

Originally Posted by gopher
there are some valid issues here (although i wouldnt be in favour of any man no matter how well endowed they were protesting naked )

if we say that it is cruel to not allow an animal to exhibit its natural behaviour then who is more cruel - the man who hunts and uses his labrador to retrieve game or the man who only lets the dog out to exercise??
the man who keeps battery chickens or the man who breeds and fights gamefowl ??
i would never advocate or want to be involved in dog fighting but is a bull terrier dying doing something it is genetically programmed to do more cruel than keeping it chained up in the yard ??
yet a hunter , cockfighter( there is no way of saying it without inviting double entendre )or dog fighter are all considered cruel... maybe it is because there is generally a death at the end of it??? this is getting way too philosophical now
personally i think we should consider more the life and means of death of the animal rather than simply the fact that it dies
This was the protestor I had in mind, a typical Canadian woman:

http://www.thesuperficial.com/2006/0...ares_skin.html
Old Sep 22nd 2006, 6:48 pm
Slightly Canadian

Atlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by London7
My definition would be pretty much someone who links teaching kids the responsibilities of hunting with the increase of violence in society. Alas and alack I fear the increase of violence in society could be linked to violent films/tv/computer games far easier than the participation of children in hunting. I could generalise by talking about city folk vs rural folk etc etc. But I wont.

Hunting is a more popular and widespread sport in Canada than in UK. A factor of history, population and available land smongst other things. It's a very 'UK' view imho to come here and start talking about how evil it all is. You don't have to participate in 'blood sports' but you don't have to be quite so anti either do you? For any kind of record I haven't participated in hunting in Canada so far apart from eating parts of the moose that my wife's family killed last year. It was very tasty.
Old Sep 22nd 2006, 6:52 pm
Forum Regular

This was the protestor I had in mind, a typical Canadian woman:

http://www.thesuperficial.com/2006/0...ares_skin.html
ah , dear old pammy , i think there could be a new definition of cruelty if my wife notices me looking at that page for too long
Old Sep 22nd 2006, 7:05 pm
little snowy owl

Alberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond repute

For some strange reason, veal is the only thing I don't eat for concientious objector reasons. ..... although I do think it is very tasty!

Personally I don't think I could ever bring myself to shoot anything, but I have been known to catch, kill and gut fish! I know, I'm a bad person.

I'll eat most other creatures that somebody else has killed.

As I think I have said before on here, the only hunting and shooting that I'd find fun would be with a camera.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.