Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Any Expat Deer Hunters out there?

Any Expat Deer Hunters out there?

Old Sep 21st 2006, 3:03 am
Journeyman Canadian

scimdarren is a glorious beacon of lightscimdarren is a glorious beacon of lightscimdarren is a glorious beacon of lightscimdarren is a glorious beacon of lightscimdarren is a glorious beacon of lightscimdarren is a glorious beacon of lightscimdarren is a glorious beacon of lightscimdarren is a glorious beacon of lightscimdarren is a glorious beacon of lightscimdarren is a glorious beacon of lightscimdarren is a glorious beacon of light
Default Any Expat Deer Hunters out there?

Hi All

It hasn't been a topic that I ever remember being discussed on the forum, I am about to embark on my first hunting season, having passed my Hunter Safety Course and bought a Lee Enfield 303.
For someone that opposed FoxHunting in the UK, Hunting here seems to be more back to nature, after all, if I kill a deer, I am prepared to field dress it and then eat it.

Regards

Darren
Old Sep 21st 2006, 8:17 am
rae
Settled.

rae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Any Expat Deer Hunters out there?

Originally Posted by scimdarren
Hi All

It hasn't been a topic that I ever remember being discussed on the forum, I am about to embark on my first hunting season, having passed my Hunter Safety Course and bought a Lee Enfield 303.
For someone that opposed FoxHunting in the UK, Hunting here seems to be more back to nature, after all, if I kill a deer, I am prepared to field dress it and then eat it.

Regards

Darren
a cautioanary word, i'm sure you are aware, but just in case you are not, do not try to fire the 303 standing, as all you will hit is the tree above you as the rifle goes vertical. it has a very big kickback. shoulder padding essential. also avoid the 5 round magazine, better to load single shot, prone to jams.
Old Sep 21st 2006, 9:32 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Almost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rae
a cautioanary word, i'm sure you are aware, but just in case you are not, do not try to fire the 303 standing, as all you will hit is the tree above you as the rifle goes vertical. it has a very big kickback. shoulder padding essential. also avoid the 5 round magazine, better to load single shot, prone to jams.
Said like a true sniper
Old Sep 21st 2006, 10:40 am
BE Enthusiast

sinope has a reputation beyond reputesinope has a reputation beyond reputesinope has a reputation beyond reputesinope has a reputation beyond reputesinope has a reputation beyond reputesinope has a reputation beyond reputesinope has a reputation beyond reputesinope has a reputation beyond reputesinope has a reputation beyond reputesinope has a reputation beyond reputesinope has a reputation beyond repute

Hi All

For someone that opposed FoxHunting in the UK
Hypocrite.
Old Sep 21st 2006, 11:56 am
AntiWinge Freedom fighter

Bleech has a reputation beyond reputeBleech has a reputation beyond reputeBleech has a reputation beyond reputeBleech has a reputation beyond reputeBleech has a reputation beyond reputeBleech has a reputation beyond reputeBleech has a reputation beyond reputeBleech has a reputation beyond reputeBleech has a reputation beyond reputeBleech has a reputation beyond reputeBleech has a reputation beyond repute

...sorry just trying to stir things up a bit
Old Sep 21st 2006, 11:59 am
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

I haven't tried blasting bambi but have developed an interest in fox hunting since being here. We're just at the stage of trudging behind the hunt but we'll get up to speed within a year or so. I have been moose hunting but that's not too much of a sport, they call the moose out of the woods and shoot it from the truck, to my mind that's no different than shooting the raccoons in the backyard.
Old Sep 21st 2006, 12:18 pm
Slightly Canadian

Atlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbd33
I haven't tried blasting bambi but have developed an interest in fox hunting since being here. We're just at the stage of trudging behind the hunt but we'll get up to speed within a year or so. I have been moose hunting but that's not too much of a sport, they call the moose out of the woods and shoot it from the truck, to my mind that's no different than shooting the raccoons in the backyard.
To quote your own tag line 'just because it happened to me doesn't mean it'll happen to you' or just because your one time relatives in Newfoundland hunted moose in the manner you described doesn't mean that everyone does it that way. Mrs AX usually goes hunting with her uncles to get her share of the family moose and the hiking through the woods is all part of the fun (I'm told.)
Old Sep 21st 2006, 12:22 pm

Souvenir is an unknown quantity at this point

Might I suggest googling for the 1960s classic film "Bambi meets Godzilla"?
Old Sep 21st 2006, 12:29 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Atlantic Xpat
To quote your own tag line 'just because it happened to me doesn't mean it'll happen to you' or just because your one time relatives in Newfoundland hunted moose in the manner you described doesn't mean that everyone does it that way. Mrs AX usually goes hunting with her uncles to get her share of the family moose and the hiking through the woods is all part of the fun (I'm told.)
I've also done the hiking through the bush thing, mostly on the former track bed of the Newfie Bullet, but not when hunting moose. The problem with a moose is that it's too heavy just to fish it from the bog, hang it from a tree and gut it. Getting it home is a real problem, hence calling it to the TCH, shooting it, and backing up to it. I don't recall moose hunting being at all about sport, just about getting the quota efficiently, but, as you point out, I've only tried it with one family.
Old Sep 21st 2006, 3:22 pm
BE Enthusiast

London7 has much to be proud ofLondon7 has much to be proud ofLondon7 has much to be proud ofLondon7 has much to be proud ofLondon7 has much to be proud ofLondon7 has much to be proud ofLondon7 has much to be proud ofLondon7 has much to be proud ofLondon7 has much to be proud ofLondon7 has much to be proud ofLondon7 has much to be proud of

Hi All

Regards

Darren

another inadequate male.....yawn.
leave the wildlife alone.
Old Sep 21st 2006, 3:34 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Expat deers? What skilled worker category do they use?
Old Sep 21st 2006, 3:38 pm
Slightly Canadian

Atlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by London7
another inadequate male.....yawn.
leave the wildlife alone.
Why?
Old Sep 21st 2006, 3:41 pm

Souvenir is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Novocastrian
Expat deers? What skilled worker category do they use?
Skinned worker?
Old Sep 21st 2006, 3:42 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Souvenir
Skinned worker?
Nice one.
Old Sep 22nd 2006, 2:09 am
Journeyman Canadian

scimdarren is a glorious beacon of lightscimdarren is a glorious beacon of lightscimdarren is a glorious beacon of lightscimdarren is a glorious beacon of lightscimdarren is a glorious beacon of lightscimdarren is a glorious beacon of lightscimdarren is a glorious beacon of lightscimdarren is a glorious beacon of lightscimdarren is a glorious beacon of lightscimdarren is a glorious beacon of lightscimdarren is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by dbd33
Foxhunting in Canada? I had no idea?
Cant speak for Ontario but hunting from a vehicle is definitely illegal in Manitoba. An unfair advantage and deemed 'slob hunting' in the lecture on Hunting Ethics.

Darren

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.