Reload this Page >

Any English teachers out there?

Any English teachers out there?

Old May 16th 2009, 9:06 pm
Just Joined

BugBabe is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Any English teachers out there?

Hi,
We are hoping to move to Canada in the next few years. Husband is a mechanical engineer so we are hopefully going to apply on the fast track.

We are hoping to relocate to Vancouver with our two young children (11 and 7). I like the look of Chilliwack and Abbotsford areas. I am a Secondary English teacher with 2 years experience. How easy is it to get a teaching job in B.C? Most of the jobs I have seen are for English as a second language and I have no experience in this field. I have very good career prospects in England; is progression/promotion as realsitic in Canadia schools? This wouldnt stop me from going, just like to know a bit before we start the process

Also, how have your kids settled into the education system?

Thanks for your time,
Claire.
Old May 16th 2009, 9:25 pm
Just Joined

Default Re: Any English teachers out there?

This is probably a stupid question but I cant find the answer anywhere!
If we lived on the border, could I live in Canada but work in America? Just read the Wiki about how hard it is to find permanent teaching posts
Old May 17th 2009, 12:04 am
PMM
Lost in BE Cyberspace

PMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond repute

Hi

Originally Posted by BugBabe
This is probably a stupid question but I cant find the answer anywhere!
If we lived on the border, could I live in Canada but work in America? Just read the Wiki about how hard it is to find permanent teaching posts
Not without a US H1B visa, and it is doubtful if you would get one as a teacher. As to teaching in the lower mainland, if your credentials were accepted, (you may have to return to Uni for a 1 year teacher training) you would sign on as a supply teacher, and would be that way for a few years. Getting the odd day here and there at the start and getting more time as you get to know the principals and teachers. Then it is applying for permanent positions and they usually go on seniority.
Old May 17th 2009, 8:43 am
Just Joined

Thanks for that...looks a little bleak but not the end of the world!
Old May 17th 2009, 6:29 pm
Forum Regular

chan_konabe is just really nicechan_konabe is just really nicechan_konabe is just really nicechan_konabe is just really nicechan_konabe is just really nicechan_konabe is just really nicechan_konabe is just really nicechan_konabe is just really nicechan_konabe is just really nicechan_konabe is just really nice

Yes, it may look bleak, but it really isn't the end of the world. It will just take some patience, hard work and luck. We're in a bad spot right now in BC (I'm an elementary school teacher here), but things are supposed to pick up over the next few years. The student population is projected to rise in a few years. However, the economy and the government are the wildcards. If the economy continues to falter, families might move elsewhere - or just not have as many kids. Also, government funding for education hasn't kept up with inflation over these last few years, so this has forced school districts to implement deepening budget cuts. Anyway, you won't know what's going to happen until you get here.

I recommend you spend your time over the next couple of years getting ready for employment here. Apply to have your teaching credentials evaluated by the BC College of Teachers (BCCT). Make up any additional coursework, if needed, now. Maybe get another specialty area so that it would increase your employability here. Often secondary school teachers in BC have TWO areas of specialty when they start, ex. English/PE, English/Social Studies, Math/Science, etc... They only focus on their one preferred area after they have earned enough seniority to successfully get those teaching contracts alone. Areas in high demand are French, Music, Learning Assistance (aka, Special Education), ESL/ESD (linguistics courses will be needed), and industrial education (ex, woodwork, metalwork, etc...).