Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

any english solicitors here???????

Wikiposts

any english solicitors here???????

Old Aug 11th 2005, 12:39 pm
Forum Regular

Hudman is just really niceHudman is just really niceHudman is just really niceHudman is just really niceHudman is just really niceHudman is just really niceHudman is just really niceHudman is just really niceHudman is just really niceHudman is just really niceHudman is just really nice
Default Re: any english solicitors here???????

Originally Posted by discouraged
Hi Mr. & Mrs. Hudman,

Ridiculous hurdles is right.

You might want to have a look at an old thread detailing my own experiences:

The Most Advanced 3rd World Country on the Planet

The very best of luck to you. If you stay in Canada, you'll need it.

D.
hi!
firstly, may i ask what self study programme?????? NCA have informed me they offer no programmes of help!
secondly what challenge exams did you sit and what were they like compared to LPC AND LLB Q'S?
Finally, where are you now and whats ahead for you?
Did you consider the bar in Washington?
Its really tricky for me, not sure whether to bat on, or call it quits and study for the bar! oh the dilemmas!
i would appreciate any advice/tips
Old Aug 11th 2005, 11:18 pm
Forum Regular

discouraged has a brilliant futurediscouraged has a brilliant futurediscouraged has a brilliant futurediscouraged has a brilliant futurediscouraged has a brilliant futurediscouraged has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by Hudman
hi!
firstly, may i ask what self study programme?????? NCA have informed me they offer no programmes of help!
secondly what challenge exams did you sit and what were they like compared to LPC AND LLB Q'S?
Finally, where are you now and whats ahead for you?
Did you consider the bar in Washington?
Its really tricky for me, not sure whether to bat on, or call it quits and study for the bar! oh the dilemmas!
i would appreciate any advice/tips
Hi again,

Although I sent in my exam fees to the NCA, I decided not to bother sitting them after the way I was jerked about by the people I applied to for a job (in fact, the NCA have just been in touch asking me if I want the fees back). Didn't see the point in doing the exams if there was no hope of a job at the end of it.

You're right, there are no self-study programmes for the challenge exams, it's a DIY job based on books (which I went to the trouble of getting at great expense , and which are now gathering dust at home).

All in all (and as you will no doubt have read on my thread), it was all a very depressing experience, but on the plus side, at least I found out what I was letting myself in for before irretrievably committing myself to what would have been a financial and professional disaster. I have ended up staying where I am, gratefully accepting my £42K and 25 days holiday a year, and consoling myself in the fact that it was unlikely I could have bettered this in Canada; quite the reverse in fact, when you also take into account that I would have had to requalify earning peanuts (assuming, of course, that I had found an articling position!). Quite simply, I was left with the impression that Canada didn't want me taking away a job that they would rather have given to a Canadian.

Haven't looked into the Washington bar, but it surely can't be as protectionist as Canada. Bit more of a "can do" mentality in the USA I would have thought, and therefore perhaps a bit more welcoming of outsiders, so why not give it a go and let me know how you get on ? You might even tempt me into applying !!!

Best wishes and good luck, and feel free to drop me a PM if there's anything else you'd like to know, but were too afraid to ask on the forum!

Regards,

D.
Old Aug 12th 2005, 12:17 am
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

I'm afraid I don't see your complaint, discouraged. Lawyers in Canada are exceptionally ill mannered and unprofessional people, there's no secret about that. Hell, the law society even has a website with radio buttons to click for the standard complaints ; lawyer dishonest, lawyer unresponsive, lawyer runs up bill, etc. If you chose to deal with law firms then you should have expected to be messed around as it's what lawyers do.

The conduct you describe doesn't seem at all remarkable, rather it's usual. For example, starting this spring, I called my lawyer every Monday morning for three months to ask what response should be made to a proposal to settle a matrimonial dispute, he didn't return the calls so eventually I drove out there and trapped him, he then explained that he didn't know how best to proceed and so had done nothing. This meeting cost $400. This isn't very good service compared to that one would expect from an accountant, roofer or plumber. I put up with it because he's not the first Canadian lawyer I've dealt with and I believe it to be par for the course.

The conduct of lawyers does not reflect the conduct of Canadians in general, in fact, only politicians consistently behave in such a squalid manner. Most of us will speak to a lawyer, socially or professionally, only with the greatest reluctance, but you elected to do so and for you to complain now is like the farmer complaining that the cow shit smells.
Old Aug 12th 2005, 12:51 am
Forum Regular

discouraged has a brilliant futurediscouraged has a brilliant futurediscouraged has a brilliant futurediscouraged has a brilliant futurediscouraged has a brilliant futurediscouraged has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by dbd33
I'm afraid I don't see your complaint, discouraged. Lawyers in Canada are exceptionally ill mannered and unprofessional people, there's no secret about that. Hell, the law society even has a website with radio buttons to click for the standard complaints ; lawyer dishonest, lawyer unresponsive, lawyer runs up bill, etc. If you chose to deal with law firms then you should have expected to be messed around as it's what lawyers do.

The conduct you describe doesn't seem at all remarkable, rather it's usual. For example, starting this spring, I called my lawyer every Monday morning for three months to ask what response should be made to a proposal to settle a matrimonial dispute, he didn't return the calls so eventually I drove out there and trapped him, he then explained that he didn't know how best to proceed and so had done nothing. This meeting cost $400. This isn't very good service compared to that one would expect from an accountant, roofer or plumber. I put up with it because he's not the first Canadian lawyer I've dealt with and I believe it to be par for the course.

The conduct of lawyers does not reflect the conduct of Canadians in general, in fact, only politicians consistently behave in such a squalid manner. Most of us will speak to a lawyer, socially or professionally, only with the greatest reluctance, but you elected to do so and for you to complain now is like the farmer complaining that the cow shit smells.
I may be wrong, but I get the feeling that you don't like lawyers.... ?
Old Aug 12th 2005, 2:19 am
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by discouraged
I may be wrong, but I get the feeling that you don't like lawyers.... ?
I strive to hate them all. Alas, some of them are so damnably likeable outside work.