Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Any Clinical Psychologists out there?

Wikiposts

Any Clinical Psychologists out there?

Old Sep 15th 2010, 10:41 am
slanderer of the innocent

ExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Any Clinical Psychologists out there?

Originally Posted by Muzzerboy
Maggie

That's interesting. How did you get in touch with this assessor (a real person by the sounds)? In BC, the body is the International Creditation Evaluation Service at the local tech (BCIT). It's difficult to talk to anyone senior and they've been quite formal and aloof.

She was a member of the BPS for years and has been chartered for some time. In her line of work, she needed to be registered with the BABCP in order to work, so it's even more demanding than the BPS membership. I know because I had to help her with the application.

Muzzer
What works in Ontario may not work in BC. Each province has it's own way of dealing with accreditation etc.
Old Sep 15th 2010, 3:09 pm
Forum Regular

pontcanna has a reputation beyond reputepontcanna has a reputation beyond reputepontcanna has a reputation beyond reputepontcanna has a reputation beyond reputepontcanna has a reputation beyond reputepontcanna has a reputation beyond reputepontcanna has a reputation beyond reputepontcanna has a reputation beyond reputepontcanna has a reputation beyond reputepontcanna has a reputation beyond reputepontcanna has a reputation beyond repute

If your wife has any background in forensic psychology (or maybe even if she doesn't) she could consider checking out Corrections Canada...we are usually in need of psychologists and I believe the requirements around registration are a little more flexible (as in eligibility for registration in any province or territory).

Check out:

http://www.csc-scc.gc.ca/text/carinf/psych-eng.shtml
Old Sep 15th 2010, 7:01 pm
Forum Regular

Yasmina2005 will become famous soon enoughYasmina2005 will become famous soon enough
Exclamation Re: Any Clinical Psychologists out there?

The honest advice I would give to your wife is TO STAY in the UK.

We know people, whose degrees (e.g. Masters and Ph.D) from known UK Universities such as Manchester University and University College London, and whose professional experience in Management with international companies, were not able to get a job in Canada.

Either they are told they are too qualified OR they do not have Canadian experience. It is a no win situation.

So she should NOT move before having her degrees accredited and most importantly secruing a job before departing from the UK....Otherwise she will deeply regret it. I am sorry to say it

We need to save as many souls as possible.
Old Sep 16th 2010, 6:27 am
has got PPR yay baby !!!!

deenailz has much to be proud ofdeenailz has much to be proud ofdeenailz has much to be proud ofdeenailz has much to be proud ofdeenailz has much to be proud ofdeenailz has much to be proud ofdeenailz has much to be proud ofdeenailz has much to be proud ofdeenailz has much to be proud ofdeenailz has much to be proud ofdeenailz has much to be proud of

hi this might not help things , but can she not have her credentials assesed ? my hubby had to do it for his engineering , we went to torornto uni and they told us they know exactly what uk qualifications are and it is easy to get a letter to say what the canadaina qualifications it equals , they said they only struggle when its someone from the back of beyond etc...
maybe you could try a university and find out about it ,
good luck hope this helps x
Old Sep 16th 2010, 6:38 am
Slightly Canadian

Atlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Yasmina2005
The honest advice I would give to your wife is TO STAY in the UK.

We know people, whose degrees (e.g. Masters and Ph.D) from known UK Universities such as Manchester University and University College London, and whose professional experience in Management with international companies, were not able to get a job in Canada.

Either they are told they are too qualified OR they do not have Canadian experience. It is a no win situation.

So she should NOT move before having her degrees accredited and most importantly secruing a job before departing from the UK....Otherwise she will deeply regret it. I am sorry to say it

We need to save as many souls as possible.
thread drift

Yet there are many with average degrees from average UK institutions with work experience in UK companies who readily find employment in Canada. I was hired for my UK experience. Three times since 2004.

/thread drift
Old Sep 16th 2010, 11:47 am
Forum Regular

Yasmina2005 will become famous soon enoughYasmina2005 will become famous soon enough
Exclamation Re: Any Clinical Psychologists out there?

Originally Posted by Atlantic Xpat
thread drift

Yet there are many with average degrees from average UK institutions with work experience in UK companies who readily find employment in Canada. I was hired for my UK experience. Three times since 2004.

/thread drift

Good for you!...

Holders of Masters and Ph.D have hard times finding a job. Maybe average degrees holders are luckier. Besides those with more English sounding names have more chances to be called for an interview than .....!!

In fact a professor from UBC did a study: "Job applicants with foreign names have lesser chance for interviews"

Here is a short interview with him summarizing the study. Enjoy!

http://www.cbc.ca/mrl3/8752/bc/ondem...-INTERVIEW.wmv
Old Sep 16th 2010, 12:09 pm
Account Closed

fledermaus is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by pontcanna
If your wife has any background in forensic psychology (or maybe even if she doesn't) she could consider checking out Corrections Canada...we are usually in need of psychologists and I believe the requirements around registration are a little more flexible (as in eligibility for registration in any province or territory).

Check out:

http://www.csc-scc.gc.ca/text/carinf/psych-eng.shtml
Preference given to Canadian citizens.