Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Any Canadians return to Canada with British husband/wife?

Any Canadians return to Canada with British husband/wife?

Old Feb 1st 2012, 7:03 am
Best Place on Earth- LMAO

jandro is a glorious beacon of lightjandro is a glorious beacon of lightjandro is a glorious beacon of lightjandro is a glorious beacon of lightjandro is a glorious beacon of lightjandro is a glorious beacon of lightjandro is a glorious beacon of lightjandro is a glorious beacon of lightjandro is a glorious beacon of lightjandro is a glorious beacon of lightjandro is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Any Canadians return to Canada with British husband/wife?

Originally Posted by vikgrif
Hi all....I was born in Canada and have lived in the uk for 25 yrs... now want to return to Canada with British family..looking at BC. Be starting over in 40's /50's so little concerned re jobs. Anyone else in similar circumstances? how are you finding life, work, housing etc. Anyone live on Vancouver Island?
I'm Canadian and lived in the UK for about 9 years and moved to Lower Mainland with my Spanish partner a few years ago. She was more keen on moving here than I was. I really disliked it here the first couple of years and experienced reverse culture shock. I was unemployed for about a year (on and off) before I settled into a (relatively) decent job. I've found job security is low, hours of work are long and housing is very expensive here in the lower mainland. Recently had a bad experience with healthcare as well. However life here has it's upsides.
Old Feb 2nd 2012, 5:50 am
Just Joined

Madge_MR is an unknown quantity at this point

The reverse culture shock was unexpected.

I haven't liked it as much, coming back, as I thought I liked it.
Old Feb 2nd 2012, 1:19 pm
Fancy a Cuppa?

Rosie Lee has a reputation beyond reputeRosie Lee has a reputation beyond reputeRosie Lee has a reputation beyond reputeRosie Lee has a reputation beyond reputeRosie Lee has a reputation beyond reputeRosie Lee has a reputation beyond reputeRosie Lee has a reputation beyond reputeRosie Lee has a reputation beyond reputeRosie Lee has a reputation beyond reputeRosie Lee has a reputation beyond reputeRosie Lee has a reputation beyond repute

My Hubby left Vancouver to study when he was 19, hes now 40, and we are looking to move to North Van later this year. We're doing all the Spousal Sponsorship paperwork here in the UK as it supposed to be quicker.
Old Feb 2nd 2012, 11:43 pm
Just Joined

OttawaCFP is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by vikgrif
Thanks Editha... for your whole hearted reply. Sorry to hear you are so home sick, true change is harder as we get older....you feel about England the way I feel about Canada at this present moment in time....thinking that I am getting older and have spent most of my life in another country without any family...Too true about pensions, that did cross my mind ( whats left of it, after reading and downloading number of forms...between applying for daughter citizenship, then passports, not to mention spousal sponsorship, health checks....and it goes on and on). In part we want to move for the outdoor open space, mountains, lakes, wildlife, etc..(its a long time since I saw a wild wolf outside my door) ....and the future here in uk is becoming more difficult with lack of jobs, cost of living, population, the EU controls, etc.
best wishes
It is definitely a good idea to look into continuing payments to the state pension. It may make a big difference to what you can collect when you reach retirement age. If you or your spouse have any private pensions (personal or occupational), then you may also want to consider transferring them to a QROPS after you arrive in Canada.