Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Any Canadians return to Canada with British husband/wife?

Any Canadians return to Canada with British husband/wife?

Old Jan 2nd 2012, 10:13 pm
Just Joined

vikgrif is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Any Canadians return to Canada with British husband/wife?

Hi all....I was born in Canada and have lived in the uk for 25 yrs... now want to return to Canada with British family..looking at BC. Be starting over in 40's /50's so little concerned re jobs. Anyone else in similar circumstances? how are you finding life, work, housing etc. Anyone live on Vancouver Island?
Old Jan 2nd 2012, 10:53 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Any Canadians return to Canada with British husband/wife?

Children - should have Canadian citizenship cards and passports.

Spouse - should have a Canadian immigrant visa before leaving.

And if you're not British, would make sense to get your naturalisation before you leave, will make it a lot easier to come back later if things don't work out.
Old Jan 3rd 2012, 2:09 am
BE Enthusiast

jerry brewer has a reputation beyond reputejerry brewer has a reputation beyond reputejerry brewer has a reputation beyond reputejerry brewer has a reputation beyond reputejerry brewer has a reputation beyond reputejerry brewer has a reputation beyond reputejerry brewer has a reputation beyond reputejerry brewer has a reputation beyond reputejerry brewer has a reputation beyond reputejerry brewer has a reputation beyond reputejerry brewer has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by vikgrif
Hi all....I was born in Canada and have lived in the uk for 25 yrs... now want to return to Canada with British family..looking at BC. Be starting over in 40's /50's so little concerned re jobs. Anyone else in similar circumstances? how are you finding life, work, housing etc. Anyone live on Vancouver Island?
Hi
My wife is canadian,she had been away from canada since she was little, I had UK citizenship, we got her canadian passport,then the kids canadian passport and citizenship,then she sponsored me.
Landed about 4 1/2 yrs ago, all things worked out great, we did all the paperwork ourselves,this saved a lot of money.
We were very late 40's when we arrived, but here it is not like the UK you do not put your age on the CV/Resume.
Work for trades,etc, should be good in the future on the island as there is a big government ship construction contract won by Seaspan.
Summing up, the best thing we ever did was to come to vancouver.
Good Luck
cheers
Jerry
Old Jan 3rd 2012, 2:40 am
Forum Regular

Cruella32 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi! My husband is a Canadian, he lived in the UK for 6 years and has dual citizenship, we applied to come over before we were married. We did it all from the UK as a lot faster to process and it was done as common law but we changed it to spouse when we landed. We had to apply through sponsorship first and then you apply for your perm residence at the same time. We live on Vancouver Island and our children and hubby all have british and canadian passports and I have just applied for my Canadian citizenship too... gonna be a long wait though!

Housing is very expensive if you want to buy in downtown Victoria... but the further out you go the cheaper it is. Life is fabulous! Always things to do and very community orientated. As for jobs, it really depends what you do now and where you would be looking to work.

Good luck!
Old Jan 3rd 2012, 10:34 am
BE user by choice

Location: A Briton, married to a Canadian, now in Fredericton.
MillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond repute

My husband is from Victoria, but left Canada 30 years ago. He's an airline pilot so has pottered all over the place, but we've been resident in France for the last twelve years, although he works in Africa. This time last year we decided we wanted to go to Canada, it seemed a logical step both from the heart and the head. I am British, and we went the spousal route and I 'landed' last October. We are going to New Brunswick, certainly for the next ten years, as our son is in school, then if we find the winters' too cold may move further south. My husband will continue to work in Africa, so not much change there, but I'm hoping to work in NB - I really want to be part of a community, and I really think I will be there. I have loved France, but it has never loved me back. My husband has an overwhelming desire to go 'home', I have never seen him so happy since we made the decision. Very best of luck with all your plans.
Old Jan 3rd 2012, 2:07 pm
Just Joined

Thanks for words of wisdom. Guess being away from Canada from age 20 something of a worry, everything new.. (bit like revisiting an old friend who has changed) lol. Am currently a nurse, husband a motor mechanic, appears not many nursing jobs out west. Starting over at our age something of a worry. How long did it take for spouses to get perm residence? Apply after arriving in Canada? Have been told it can take around a year to come through, bit or a worry if only one able to work. Also got daughter (not thrilled at idea) and two siberian huskies to ship over with us...thanks all for info
Old Jan 3rd 2012, 3:31 pm
Forum Regular

Cruella32 is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for words of wisdom. Guess being away from Canada from age 20 something of a worry, everything new.. (bit like revisiting an old friend who has changed) lol. Am currently a nurse, husband a motor mechanic, appears not many nursing jobs out west. Starting over at our age something of a worry. How long did it take for spouses to get perm residence? Apply after arriving in Canada? Have been told it can take around a year to come through, bit or a worry if only one able to work. Also got daughter (not thrilled at idea) and two siberian huskies to ship over with us...thanks all for info
You apply for your perm residence at the same time as applying for spousal sponsorship... they come through around the same time, so do it while you are both still in the UK. Not sure about the job front x
Old Jan 3rd 2012, 3:39 pm
Just Joined

thanks very much for info Cruella24.
Old Jan 3rd 2012, 4:55 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

How long did it take for spouses to get perm residence? Apply after arriving in Canada?
It will usually take around 3-6 months if you apply 'outland' rather than 'inland' (which can take a year or more). Have a read of the Wiki article on spousal sponsorship to understand the difference between the two routes and decide which is best for you.

Most people apply for their spouse's PR before they go to Canada, as your husband wouldn't get any of the benefits of PR if he was just there on a visitor visa (i.e. can't work, no healthcare, etc). Plus of course it's potentially risky to settle there without a visa for him, although not likely to be a a problem, but most forum members seem to like it sorted before they go.

Originally Posted by Cruella24
You apply for your perm residence at the same time as applying for spousal sponsorship... they come through around the same time, so do it while you are both still in the UK.
Bit confused by this advice, as you only need to apply for one thing (PR, but it's via the spousal sponsorship route), so not sure what you mean by 'they come through around the same time'? They are the same thing, and only one application is required.
Old Jan 3rd 2012, 7:46 pm
Was in Canada, now home.

Editha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond repute

I'm British with a Canadian husband who has joint nationality. We came to Canada in '06.

We only had three months to prepare for the move, since he had a job offer. As a result I arrived on a tourist visa. I did not get PR for 18 months. That created difficulties with health insurance, and getting a mortgage. So, I agree that, ideally, you should have immigration status sorted out in advance.

Another thing to think about is your pension provision. At your age, you would probably be well advised to make sure you remain eligible for a full UK state pension, and should check whether you need to continue making payments while in Canada.

Sponsored relatives can get turned down on health grounds, I've been told. That's a bit worrying when you are middle aged. The medical is likely to turn up something. In my case, I have chronic health conditions, which had led to early retirement before I came to Canada. I was told that could be a problem. It wasn't, but the medical turned up another problem which almost was. It's lucky that I was the immigrant and my husband is a Canadian citizen, because not long after we got here, a routine medical found he has a potentially serious medical condition, which might have prevented him getting PR, if he'd been the one applying.

We are in our fifties. My husband had not lived in Canada for thirty years. It is just a fact that you become less adaptable as you get older. The transition was difficult for both of us, but more so for me, and five years on, I'm still homesick and looking forward to retiring back to England.
Old Jan 3rd 2012, 8:40 pm
Just Joined

Thanks Editha... for your whole hearted reply. Sorry to hear you are so home sick, true change is harder as we get older....you feel about England the way I feel about Canada at this present moment in time....thinking that I am getting older and have spent most of my life in another country without any family...Too true about pensions, that did cross my mind ( whats left of it, after reading and downloading number of forms...between applying for daughter citizenship, then passports, not to mention spousal sponsorship, health checks....and it goes on and on). In part we want to move for the outdoor open space, mountains, lakes, wildlife, etc..(its a long time since I saw a wild wolf outside my door) ....and the future here in uk is becoming more difficult with lack of jobs, cost of living, population, the EU controls, etc.
best wishes
Old Jan 16th 2012, 2:46 am
Just Joined

Madge_MR is an unknown quantity at this point

Well I'm Canadian, lived in England for over 10 years with my British husband. We moved back to Canada (Victoria) two years ago, and he still hates it. Has been trying to escape back to England ever since. Seriously - bad move on our part.

I hope things work out better for you. My husband is late 40's and I'm mid-30's. It's been rough! Our marriage went down the pan and our children have been unsettled.

We visited here severl times before moving. He hated England, and only ever talked about moving here, but the reality has been so different than he or I imagined it would be. I am no longer married to someone I even recognize. It's been nothing but complete stress.

Just being honest, I'm sure it depends on the people involved. But we never had trouble in our marriage or otherwise before moving here, so could not have predicted this at all.
Old Jan 27th 2012, 2:50 am
Just Joined

shropshire girl is an unknown quantity at this point

Hello Vicky
I don't think you will remember me but i lived in your village & came to live here in Canada in High River in October 2006 you were telling me about you being a Canadian & your husband being from uk & who was in the same school as myself & husband
jobs in this part of Canada ie: Calgary area are looking good but not too sure your kind of work that you are after life well who knows we may see you in the near future
Old Jan 27th 2012, 12:35 pm
BE user by choice

Location: A Briton, married to a Canadian, now in Fredericton.
MillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Madge_MR
I hope things work out better for you. My husband is late 40's and I'm mid-30's. It's been rough! Our marriage went down the pan and our children have been unsettled.

We visited here severl times before moving. He hated England, and only ever talked about moving here, but the reality has been so different than he or I imagined it would be. I am no longer married to someone I even recognize. It's been nothing but complete stress.

Just being honest, I'm sure it depends on the people involved. But we never had trouble in our marriage or otherwise before moving here, so could not have predicted this at all.
Why did you go back to Canada? Was it just because your husband hated the UK, or did you want to go back home too? Why are the kids unsettled, is it just because they know you two are unhappy?

I get scared - I know I'll be happy when we first move, as it will be a new adventure, but I'm scared that I might get the big blues after that.

My marriage had a great big blackspot, I really did think it was down the toilet and round the bend. My husband had all sorts of stress in his life over a long period and it all started to take it's toll. The problems lasted for a good two year period, but we attacked them - I had a hell of a fight to get him to discuss his feelings and fears, and we got professional help - I really didn't imagine that I would ever be happy again. But we are happy now, I have a better closer relationship with my husband than I have ever had before....but it wasn't easy, and I really didn't know if we would get there.

I do hope that things might take a turn for the better for you as a family.
Old Feb 1st 2012, 6:35 am
Just Joined

Madge_MR is an unknown quantity at this point

Thank you Millie - there is so much psychology that comes into play I couldn't even begin to simplify it.

I wish you only happiness as a result of your dreams and plans... it's easy not to get swept up in the excitement, and forget that when it all dies down reality can hit unexpectedly.

Keep your head on straight and think of the realities, I'm sure you'll be fine. good luck!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.