Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Any Canadian hayfever sufferers?

Any Canadian hayfever sufferers?

Old Jun 12th 2008, 10:15 am
Forum Regular

YOJO is on a distinguished road
Question Any Canadian hayfever sufferers?

Hi all. We are living in the uk, possible moving to New Brunswick next year. Our 5yr old son has hayfever badly. Anyone give their opinion as to whether their hayfever has been better or worse in Canada ? Thanks JO
Old Jun 12th 2008, 11:52 am

AmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Any Canadian hayfever sufferers?

Originally Posted by YOJO
Hi all. We are living in the uk, possible moving to New Brunswick next year. Our 5yr old son has hayfever badly. Anyone give their opinion as to whether their hayfever has been better or worse in Canada ? Thanks JO
Hi there - I suffer with hayfever and would normally have been sneezing away since March/April in the UK. I have only this weekend noticed it coming out here in NS and that was when we were walking around a Park - other than that it hasn't really showed itself.
Old Jun 12th 2008, 12:18 pm
C'mon already

kazbob has a reputation beyond reputekazbob has a reputation beyond reputekazbob has a reputation beyond reputekazbob has a reputation beyond reputekazbob has a reputation beyond reputekazbob has a reputation beyond reputekazbob has a reputation beyond reputekazbob has a reputation beyond reputekazbob has a reputation beyond reputekazbob has a reputation beyond reputekazbob has a reputation beyond repute

I am suffering really badly at the moment, I think it's the tree pollen (birch)that affects me. We are also heading to NS, thanks for the info Amy. Anyone else in NS that has noticed their hayfever easing off since they have lived there?

Karen
Old Jun 12th 2008, 2:27 pm
Forum Regular

charlie1 is a glorious beacon of lightcharlie1 is a glorious beacon of lightcharlie1 is a glorious beacon of lightcharlie1 is a glorious beacon of lightcharlie1 is a glorious beacon of lightcharlie1 is a glorious beacon of lightcharlie1 is a glorious beacon of lightcharlie1 is a glorious beacon of lightcharlie1 is a glorious beacon of lightcharlie1 is a glorious beacon of lightcharlie1 is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by kazbob
I am suffering really badly at the moment, I think it's the tree pollen (birch)that affects me. We are also heading to NS, thanks for the info Amy. Anyone else in NS that has noticed their hayfever easing off since they have lived there?

Karen
Strange, I never suffered in the UK and have suffered quite badly for the 3 summers since I arrived here.
Old Jun 12th 2008, 3:08 pm
Pamela 1

Pamela 1 has a spectacular aura aboutPamela 1 has a spectacular aura aboutPamela 1 has a spectacular aura about

My husband has suffered with hayfever on and off over the years. He did get it in UK a bit way back when and since being in Ontario or when we've been in Florida in winter he would get spurts of it.

We found an excellent herb capsule at the health store. Not sure if you can get in UK or in Canada, but you could try and see. He got his in Florida at a health store and it works super-good.

It's by Solaray - Histamine Blend SP-33. He takes one may be two depending how bad he's sneezing and in an hour he is free of it all.
Old Jun 12th 2008, 5:59 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Pamela 1
My husband has suffered with hayfever on and off over the years. He did get it in UK a bit way back when and since being in Ontario or when we've been in Florida in winter he would get spurts of it.

We found an excellent herb capsule at the health store. Not sure if you can get in UK or in Canada, but you could try and see. He got his in Florida at a health store and it works super-good.

It's by Solaray - Histamine Blend SP-33. He takes one may be two depending how bad he's sneezing and in an hour he is free of it all.
Thanks Pamela , will check it out to see if its available here and ok for children. Anyone else, in New Brunswick in particular with hayfever (or lack of!)
Old Jun 12th 2008, 7:00 pm
BE Enthusiast

sinurt is a glorious beacon of lightsinurt is a glorious beacon of lightsinurt is a glorious beacon of lightsinurt is a glorious beacon of lightsinurt is a glorious beacon of lightsinurt is a glorious beacon of lightsinurt is a glorious beacon of lightsinurt is a glorious beacon of lightsinurt is a glorious beacon of lightsinurt is a glorious beacon of lightsinurt is a glorious beacon of light

Hi,
We live in Fredericton NB and both me and my husband have not suffered with hayfever as much over here, I still take hayfever tablets just incase but it definitely hasn't affected me as bad Also my husbands asthma hasn't been as bad since we moved out here either which is great

Sinead
Old Jun 12th 2008, 7:04 pm
Bring on the snow!

Rob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond repute

I guess it all depends on what pollen you're allergic too. I used to suffer in the UK around this time of year, but since moving to Vancouver (3 yrs ago)it's been no where near as bad.
Old Jun 12th 2008, 8:21 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks for that Sinead, I have asthma too. Fredericton is where we are considering so thats good news!
Old Jun 15th 2008, 11:56 am
BE Forum Addict

destinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond repute

I have just been to NS for 4 days and not a single sneeze or sore eye at all. Got off the plane at Gatwick this morning and I was streaming within 5 minutes.
Old Jun 15th 2008, 2:27 pm
BE Forum Addict

Purley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond repute

My son has some hay fever here, but three years ago when we went to England for a holiday, he had a terrible time. We kept going into different pharmacies and what they told him was that there are different medications in different anti-hystamines and you have to find the one that suits your symptoms. Nothing really seemed to help. If he wore his contacts it was worse, but he said he couldn't see as well with his glasses!

Anyway, we went to visit my nephew in Street and my son and his wife stayed in a B & B because there wasn't enough room for everyone at my nephew's. My son and his wife and I had planned to drive into Bath but they were very late picking me up and it turned out that he hadn't been able to sleep because he couldn't breathe properly, his chest hurt. We did go to Bath and he decided to go to a clinic because he was still suffering. However, they said it would be an hour an a half to see the nurse, so we left. We didn't know until we got back to my nephew's that in England a nurse can give you a prescription, because they can't in Canada - at least not in Regina - don't know about anywhere else. So my nephew drove him to the hospital in Yeovil and the doctor there gave him a prescription which relieved his symptoms.

So my advice would be - don't fool around trying to find the right over the counter anti-hystamine if you have really bad hay fever - go to the doctor.

He never has hay fever that badly here in Regina. I'm not sure what that tells you. I guess it might tell you that hay fever is caused by numerous things and just because you have bad hay fever in the UK - you may be fine in Canada - and vice versa.
Old Jun 15th 2008, 6:20 pm
BE Forum Addict

destinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond repute

On thing to remember is that hay fever today is often aggrevated by pollutants as much as pollens. Logically, if you are moving out of a city or industrial area in the UK and go to live in a less built up area in Canada you may well get an improvement in symptoms. Often sufferers notice an improvement by large expanses of water, especially if you live on the ocean.
Old Jun 15th 2008, 11:05 pm
Forum Regular

nixfix is a jewel in the roughnixfix is a jewel in the roughnixfix is a jewel in the roughnixfix is a jewel in the rough

Not a peep yet here in NS - mine used to start towards the end of May, but so far haven't had so much as a sniffle (fingers crossed)
Old Jun 16th 2008, 6:35 am
BE Forum Addict

AlexInBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlexInBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlexInBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlexInBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlexInBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlexInBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlexInBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlexInBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlexInBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlexInBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlexInBC has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by destinationnovascotia
On thing to remember is that hay fever today is often aggrevated by pollutants as much as pollens. Logically, if you are moving out of a city or industrial area in the UK and go to live in a less built up area in Canada you may well get an improvement in symptoms.
What he said ^^^

I suffered really badly when I lived in the UK. Now, living in the Canadian Rockies, I don't get more than slightly itchy eyes or occasional sneezing when the grass around our home is 18" tall and flowering, and the pine pollen turns our black car bright yellow
Old Jun 16th 2008, 6:44 am
BE Forum Addict

Glad you agree, but he is a she

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.