Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Any body immigrated to Vancouver?

Any body immigrated to Vancouver?

Old May 18th 2009, 1:52 am
Just Joined

Expat Andy is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Any body immigrated to Vancouver?

Originally Posted by heidi40
Hi We are hoping to immigrate to Vancouver as we fell in love with it in our two weeks holiday. What are your point of views and pros and cons of it?
I know the price of the property is very high!!
Please share your experiences with us.
Have you considered Vancouver Island? My family and I love it here, but it is certainly a quieter lifestyle than Vancouver. Property prices are a little cheaper.
Old May 18th 2009, 1:53 am

dboy is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by JonboyE
There a quite a few micro-breweries around so there is some good fun to be had checking them all out. And, of course, you have to go back to each one at least once just to reconfirm your initial impression.

I realize that I will lose many credibility points but ... after a summer day doing things that make you hot and sweaty even a cold Kokanee can hit the spot.
My family are here from the uk and love Kokanee - i like it - nice and easy, just like life on the west coast. Just had a great day in white rock - it was hot. Had lunch at the boat house. God life is rough.

Last edited by dboy; May 18th 2009 at 1:59 am.
Old May 18th 2009, 1:57 am

Just a matter of time before someone comes along and slams vancouver's homeless problem or the rain. Incidentally the last 6 weeks or so have been great weather wise.

Off white water rafting tomorrow on the Thompson river.
Old May 18th 2009, 3:43 am
9 months, start to finish

gibsonslanding has a reputation beyond reputegibsonslanding has a reputation beyond reputegibsonslanding has a reputation beyond reputegibsonslanding has a reputation beyond reputegibsonslanding has a reputation beyond reputegibsonslanding has a reputation beyond reputegibsonslanding has a reputation beyond reputegibsonslanding has a reputation beyond reputegibsonslanding has a reputation beyond reputegibsonslanding has a reputation beyond reputegibsonslanding has a reputation beyond repute

we've been here 3 months (at least me and the kids, hubby 6 months).......LOVE IT.....so much to do/see.......

kids are taking a time to adjust (16 and 18) but they do overall love it.....for them it's the social life that they need to be re-building; they're getting there.....

it's a fab place......
Old May 18th 2009, 8:48 am
Forum Regular

heidi40 will become famous soon enoughheidi40 will become famous soon enough

Thank you guys for your thoughts. When we stayed in vancouver for two weeks we almost cried when we left. We hope that it would feel the same when we go there for good.
Can anyone tell me about schools in vancouver. my son is 12 and we already seen a school called holleyburn in west vancouver. They seen alright but I have no idea about the standards? Thanks
Old May 18th 2009, 9:22 am
Forum Regular

NomadicJ is just really niceNomadicJ is just really niceNomadicJ is just really niceNomadicJ is just really niceNomadicJ is just really niceNomadicJ is just really niceNomadicJ is just really niceNomadicJ is just really niceNomadicJ is just really nice

Thank you guys for your thoughts. When we stayed in vancouver for two weeks we almost cried when we left. We hope that it would feel the same when we go there for good.
Can anyone tell me about schools in vancouver. my son is 12 and we already seen a school called holleyburn in west vancouver. They seen alright but I have no idea about the standards? Thanks
Hey again Heidi,

Where are you thinking of living? I've latched onto Kits because of the nearby university and beach (and dboy raves about it so much ). I've been looking at rentals and $1500/pcm seems about right for a nice 2 bed.
Craigslist seems to be the Canadian version of Gumtree over here and has a load of apartments on one year leases...
Old May 18th 2009, 12:37 pm
Forum Regular

Hi nomadicj I loved north and west vancouver. west vancouver I suppose would be out of our reach but north van around capilano road is so beautiful. Well we have to see where desteny will take us!!
Old May 18th 2009, 3:32 pm

School will depend on where you are living.
Old May 18th 2009, 3:39 pm

Originally Posted by NomadicJ
Hey again Heidi,

Where are you thinking of living? I've latched onto Kits because of the nearby university and beach (and dboy raves about it so much ). I've been looking at rentals and $1500/pcm seems about right for a nice 2 bed.
Craigslist seems to be the Canadian version of Gumtree over here and has a load of apartments on one year leases...
Kits rocks!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=caDXXzufXLU
Old May 18th 2009, 4:00 pm
Forum Regular

NomadicJ is just really niceNomadicJ is just really niceNomadicJ is just really niceNomadicJ is just really niceNomadicJ is just really niceNomadicJ is just really niceNomadicJ is just really niceNomadicJ is just really niceNomadicJ is just really nice

Thanks dboy,

Jesus, you know how to make people impatient don't you...

So how am I going to show my litarary, artsy girfriend how great kits is?
Old May 18th 2009, 4:16 pm
Binned by Muderators

JonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dboy
...Off white water rafting tomorrow on the Thompson river.
My turn next month, but we go to the Wenatchee River in WA.
Old May 18th 2009, 4:30 pm
BE Forum Addict

Lychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond repute

Typically you send your kids to the school within the catchment area of where you live. Canadians pay less attention to what school their children will go to because the public school system (at least around Vancouver) is good and they all follow the same curriculum - differences between schools are marginal. At least marginal enough not to be too stressed over what school your child will go to - after all, the school they will go to is determined by the neighbourhood you choose to live in.

In other words, if you live in a rich neighbourhood, your kids will be going to school with other children who are likely to be rich. If you live in a poor neighbourhood, your kids will be going to school with other children who are likely to be poor.

Hollyburn is likely no better or no worse than any other school in and around Vancouver, except the children who go there will likely come from exceedingly wealthy families. That will be the major difference.

Last edited by Lychee; May 18th 2009 at 4:32 pm.
Old May 18th 2009, 5:08 pm
slanderer of the innocent

ExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond repute

Well said Lychee.
Old May 18th 2009, 6:31 pm
Forum Regular

How about renting a house then? Would it count as catchment area?
Old May 18th 2009, 6:34 pm
Binned by Muderators

JonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond repute

How about renting a house then? Would it count as catchment area?
Yes.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.