Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Any body immigrated to Vancouver?

Any body immigrated to Vancouver?

Old May 17th 2009, 2:20 pm
Forum Regular

heidi40 will become famous soon enoughheidi40 will become famous soon enough
Default Any body immigrated to Vancouver?

Hi We are hoping to immigrate to Vancouver as we fell in love with it in our two weeks holiday. What are your point of views and pros and cons of it?
I know the price of the property is very high!!
Please share your experiences with us.
Old May 17th 2009, 2:33 pm

dboy is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Any body immigrated to Vancouver?

Originally Posted by heidi40
Hi We are hoping to immigrate to Vancouver as we fell in love with it in our two weeks holiday. What are your point of views and pros and cons of it?
Hi, I have been here the past 16 years and love it. As you have already pointed out the cost of homes are high, although renting is relatively reasonable. House prices do drop considerably the further east you go. It all depends on where you plan on living and what you're needs are. For example a nice detached can be had for around 550,000 in coquitlam which is about 12-15 miles from vancouver. The same house on the west side of vancouver would be closer to a million.

Climate is very similar to southern england - although we tend to get most of the rain (as much as 60 percent) between nov and march. It can get a bit miserable during those months - although its a great time to ski. Spring, summer and fall are very livable for the most part.

Work may be a stumbling point at the moment, I would suggest securing employment before coming here. Of course, all depends what line of work you are in.

I find cost of living here is much the same as the UK - seems things are more, some are less so evens out. Average wage in Van is around 45,000 dolllars per year. I do find that is a realistic average and its not that hard (or wasn't) to find a job of around 20 bucks an hour.

Other cons, night life is a bit muted, if that's important, although there's lot to do. No pub culture like the uk, although I see less booze as a good thing. Traffic can suck, too many bridges.

Outdoors is where the real life style is, sailing, kayaking, diving, golf, skiing, walking etc all very accessible from vancouver.

Overall, great place to call home. I'll be staying that's for sure.

Good luck

Last edited by dboy; May 17th 2009 at 3:03 pm.
Old May 17th 2009, 3:07 pm
Forum Regular

Thank you for your reply. Like anything else I have a very expensive taste and not a lot of money. I love to live around Capilano road or close to horse shoe bay. Well one day My work shouldn't be that difficult as I am a radiographer and already talked to couple of HR people. I found wine very expensive and food isn't much cheaper. All together better life style and that is the reason for our move.
Old May 17th 2009, 3:09 pm

Thank you for your reply. Like anything else I have a very expensive taste and not a lot of money. I love to live around Capilano road or close to horse shoe bay. Well one day My work shouldn't be that difficult as I am a radiographer and already talked to couple of HR people. I found wine very expensive and food isn't much cheaper. All together better life style and that is the reason for our move.
Yes wine and cheese are pricey for some reason. Good luck
Old May 17th 2009, 4:34 pm
Binned by Muderators

JonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond repute

Wine is expensive compared to Europe - it is the same across North America. Groceries? It depends on what you buy. Somewhere between the same and a bit cheaper. Eating out can be quite a bit cheaper if you go for the quality of the food rather than fancy surroundings.

Health care workers tend to be paid well, and well above average wages, so if your OH can find a half decent job you should be able to have a comfortable lifestyle. Maybe Horseshoe Bay is a but of a push for your first purchase! However, renting somewhere in the Capilano area while you explore will be within easy reach.

We have been here almost ten years and have a very good life. Of course, just because it suits us doesn't mean it will suit everybody, but we think it is a great place to live.
Old May 17th 2009, 4:45 pm

Originally Posted by JonboyE
Wine is expensive compared to Europe - it is the same across North America. Groceries? It depends on what you buy. Somewhere between the same and a bit cheaper. Eating out can be quite a bit cheaper if you go for the quality of the food rather than fancy surroundings.

Health care workers tend to be paid well, and well above average wages, so if your OH can find a half decent job you should be able to have a comfortable lifestyle. Maybe Horseshoe Bay is a but of a push for your first purchase! However, renting somewhere in the Capilano area while you explore will be within easy reach.

We have been here almost ten years and have a very good life. Of course, just because it suits us doesn't mean it will suit everybody, but we think it is a great place to live.
We have family in town at the minute from manchester and are heading into white rock for the day - supposed to be 21 degrees today! My sister keeps saying "Bloody marvelous" everywhere she looks!
Old May 17th 2009, 4:52 pm
Binned by Muderators

JonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dboy
We have family in town at the minute from manchester and are heading into white rock for the day - supposed to be 21 degrees today! My sister keeps saying "Bloody marvelous" everywhere she looks!
I expect it will be quite busy today! We'll take the dog down to the beach a bit later. Although the beach in White Rock itself is off limits, just to the east is the Semiahmoo reserve and you can run your dog as much as you like.
Old May 17th 2009, 5:31 pm
Forum Regular

NomadicJ is just really niceNomadicJ is just really niceNomadicJ is just really niceNomadicJ is just really niceNomadicJ is just really niceNomadicJ is just really niceNomadicJ is just really niceNomadicJ is just really niceNomadicJ is just really nice

Hey Heidi,

I'm in the same boat. I went to BC in 2004 and loved the place. At the time I was a fresh grad and had other things to do in life. Last year I finally got my act together with my partner and applied and yesterday we had our medicals... So hopefully the next step is our passport requests... (fingers crossed).

Personally I think we'll be looking for apartments in Kits. I'm in IT Management and she's in Marketing so I think we should be comfortable. Research seems to show that all the things we do here are available; Ballet (Her! honest!), Pilates (Still her), reading groups, gyms, good beer (actually, I'll check that again this summer) and guitar lessons.

I can't wait to work out how to be a hockey fan, nor can I wait to go for my morning runs around Stanley Park...

Anyway, the price of wine might be an issue but I've already found a bakery that sells croissants (I used to live in france...), so everything should be just fine...
Old May 17th 2009, 5:59 pm
Forum Regular

Dear Normandicj Thank you for your reply. I feel buterfly in my stomach even talking about it. can't wait to go for cycling around Stanley park too. not long for you hopefully. We are still waiting for medicals.not long. let us knw if any other news.
Old May 17th 2009, 6:04 pm
Binned by Muderators

Originally Posted by NomadicJ
... good beer (actually, I'll check that again this summer)...
There a quite a few micro-breweries around so there is some good fun to be had checking them all out. And, of course, you have to go back to each one at least once just to reconfirm your initial impression.

I realize that I will lose many credibility points but ... after a summer day doing things that make you hot and sweaty even a cold Kokanee can hit the spot.
Old May 17th 2009, 8:35 pm
BE Enthusiast

jerry brewer has a reputation beyond reputejerry brewer has a reputation beyond reputejerry brewer has a reputation beyond reputejerry brewer has a reputation beyond reputejerry brewer has a reputation beyond reputejerry brewer has a reputation beyond reputejerry brewer has a reputation beyond reputejerry brewer has a reputation beyond reputejerry brewer has a reputation beyond reputejerry brewer has a reputation beyond reputejerry brewer has a reputation beyond repute

Hi
We came on a two week holiday also, 9 months later, we turned up in vancouver, family of four & dog, no jobs..
That was almost three years ago, but had work within a month, almost a year to find stable work, and now in a skilled trade, ( avg pay for trades about $35-$40 /hr ) even in the downturn , (unless the trade is in construction).

Just make sure you have a large pot of money to ride out the first year just incase..

We moved mainly for the attitudes, quality & way of life for the kids, I think the expensive booze is good cuts down on the trouble, but there are many 'home brew' shops that make stuff for you, food is about the same cost but I think better quality.
Good Luck
Jerry
Old May 17th 2009, 10:13 pm
Forum Regular

Thank you Jerry for your inspiring reply. We would definitely make it too
Old May 17th 2009, 11:14 pm
BE Enthusiast

jerry brewer has a reputation beyond reputejerry brewer has a reputation beyond reputejerry brewer has a reputation beyond reputejerry brewer has a reputation beyond reputejerry brewer has a reputation beyond reputejerry brewer has a reputation beyond reputejerry brewer has a reputation beyond reputejerry brewer has a reputation beyond reputejerry brewer has a reputation beyond reputejerry brewer has a reputation beyond reputejerry brewer has a reputation beyond repute

Anyway, the price of wine might be an issue but I've already found a bakery that sells croissants (I used to live in france...), so everything should be just fine...
Hi
No deli de france here
but tim horton does a decent quassie,
one of my big losses from when I worked around france, pain au chocolat.
never found anything that tastes the same.
not to mention le palet breton
cheers
jerry

thinking of days in toulouse / paris / bergerac to mention a few,
where's that bottle of red wine and the souviner glass...
time to go on the deck again ..sunny n 23deg LG
Old May 18th 2009, 1:16 am
BE Enthusiast

Iain Mc has a reputation beyond reputeIain Mc has a reputation beyond reputeIain Mc has a reputation beyond reputeIain Mc has a reputation beyond reputeIain Mc has a reputation beyond reputeIain Mc has a reputation beyond reputeIain Mc has a reputation beyond reputeIain Mc has a reputation beyond reputeIain Mc has a reputation beyond reputeIain Mc has a reputation beyond reputeIain Mc has a reputation beyond repute

Cobs bread (of which there are a few around Vancouver) make awesome croissants (in addition to baguettes and all manner of flour-based finery).

Wine is expensive, certainly, but (as with seemingly anywhere on this globe) good quality Australian stuff can be had the cheapest, certainly under $10 a bottle for a nice Wolf Blass or similar.

I love the range of micro-brew beers here on the West coast, and as a result have not missed the English ales as much as I had feared.

I hope your move works out Heidi40, this place can be just fantastic if you're dealt a good set of cards with regard to employment, etc. My other half works in VGH, incidentally (not a radiographer, but there's bound to be at least one on this forum)

Old May 18th 2009, 1:51 am

Hey Heidi,

I'm in the same boat. I went to BC in 2004 and loved the place. At the time I was a fresh grad and had other things to do in life. Last year I finally got my act together with my partner and applied and yesterday we had our medicals... So hopefully the next step is our passport requests... (fingers crossed).

Personally I think we'll be looking for apartments in Kits. I'm in IT Management and she's in Marketing so I think we should be comfortable. Research seems to show that all the things we do here are available; Ballet (Her! honest!), Pilates (Still her), reading groups, gyms, good beer (actually, I'll check that again this summer) and guitar lessons.

I can't wait to work out how to be a hockey fan, nor can I wait to go for my morning runs around Stanley Park...

I live in Kits - if you need any info, feel free to pm me. I run along kits beach - stanley park is across false creek. Yes I can safely say after living in the US for 4 years, that Canadian beer rocks! Who needs wine.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.