Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Any Auto Insurance company that will account for UK experience?

Any Auto Insurance company that will account for UK experience?

Old Jan 7th 2011, 5:23 pm
Forum Regular

jameswales is a name known to alljameswales is a name known to alljameswales is a name known to alljameswales is a name known to alljameswales is a name known to alljameswales is a name known to alljameswales is a name known to alljameswales is a name known to alljameswales is a name known to alljameswales is a name known to alljameswales is a name known to all
Default Any Auto Insurance company that will account for UK experience?

I am in Nova Scotia.

Obtained by Class 5 license in September, just after moving here. However I am getting rocket-high insurance quotes (I'm also under 25) since it looks as if I've only been driving for a few months.

Taking my UK experience into account, I have been driving for 7 years.

Does anyone know of any companies that will take this into account?

Thanks.
Old Jan 8th 2011, 2:14 am
Forum Regular

cargomatic is just really nicecargomatic is just really nicecargomatic is just really nicecargomatic is just really nicecargomatic is just really nicecargomatic is just really nicecargomatic is just really nicecargomatic is just really nice
Default Re: Any Auto Insurance company that will account for UK experience?

Originally Posted by jameswales
I am in Nova Scotia.

Obtained by Class 5 license in September, just after moving here. However I am getting rocket-high insurance quotes (I'm also under 25) since it looks as if I've only been driving for a few months.

Taking my UK experience into account, I have been driving for 7 years.

Does anyone know of any companies that will take this into account?

Thanks.
If you have proof of no-claims from your old insurance company, most of them will take it into account, but insurance is not cheap here anyway
Old Jan 9th 2011, 2:22 pm
Seasoned Maritimer

Tangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cargomatic
If you have proof of no-claims from your old insurance company, most of them will take it into account, but insurance is not cheap here anyway
I have found insurance very reasonable in contrast actually. Suggest OP tries Johnsons.
Old Jan 9th 2011, 8:31 pm
Forum Regular

Steveh27wp is a name known to allSteveh27wp is a name known to allSteveh27wp is a name known to allSteveh27wp is a name known to allSteveh27wp is a name known to allSteveh27wp is a name known to allSteveh27wp is a name known to allSteveh27wp is a name known to allSteveh27wp is a name known to allSteveh27wp is a name known to allSteveh27wp is a name known to all

Hi there.

My wife and I also chose Johnsons for our insurance....and we are not unhappy with the costs.

We approached all of our UK insurance companies and asked them to write to us telling us the period for which they insured us, and stating that during this period we made no claims. They were all very willing to do this.

I suggest you do the same. It seems that the insurance companies here NEED THAT KIND OF INFORMATION in order to take your experience in the UK into account. When we spoke with them prior to coming here, they would NOT accept our renewal notices because of the ability, in the UK, of protecting your no claims discount.

The fact that you are so young (and therefore relatively inexperienced!) will almost certainly mean that you will pay a nhigher premium.

Good luck with your efforts to reduce costs!!