Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Any aussies in the construction trades

Any aussies in the construction trades

Old Apr 2nd 2008, 4:28 am
Just Joined

stevebarry is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Any aussies in the construction trades

Sent off another batch of applications, this lot has shed some light on the lack of enthusiasm I have received. One response has said German and UK qualifications, even european qualifications are recognised but australian skills seem a bit of non runner :curse:

Jeez for a country so desperate for construction workers this is proving a long road to nowhere.

Maybe its a language problem they cant understand us, seriously there must be some aussies in the trades somewhere.

Anyone?
Old Apr 2nd 2008, 5:29 am
Just Joined

aussymack is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Any aussies in the construction trades

Hi there I know a company in vancouver that has just hired 6 aussies to work on the twinning of the portman bridge....http://www.bilfingerberger.de

they are bringing workers to canada on a work permit....

my landlord is their landlord and hence I have this info... cheers
aussy mack
Old Apr 2nd 2008, 9:48 am
BE Forum Addict

Tableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by stevebarry
Sent off another batch of applications, this lot has shed some light on the lack of enthusiasm I have received. One response has said German and UK qualifications, even european qualifications are recognised but australian skills seem a bit of non runner :curse:

Jeez for a country so desperate for construction workers this is proving a long road to nowhere.

Maybe its a language problem they cant understand us, seriously there must be some aussies in the trades somewhere.

Anyone?
Just this week a report by the British House of Lords in to British immigration specifically singled out the Canadian immigration system as one not to copy as so many skilled workers who get there can't find work when they arrive. I think this was more white collar work, but the message that work is hard to find there without Canadian experience applies widely. I do not know why, for the reasons you mention.

In fact so crazy are they about Canadian work experience that one Canadian I know has applied for dozens of jobs in Canada and didn't even get one single response - because his post-grad qualifications and experience were British.
Old Apr 2nd 2008, 2:48 pm
BE Forum Addict

Elaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tableland

In fact so crazy are they about Canadian work experience that one Canadian I know has applied for dozens of jobs in Canada and didn't even get one single response - because his post-grad qualifications and experience were British.
My OH experience the same problem he is also Canadian with experience all over the world but that counted for very little when he tried to get work in Canada.
Old Apr 2nd 2008, 9:00 pm
Just Joined

stevebarry is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Tableland
Just this week a report by the British House of Lords in to British immigration specifically singled out the Canadian immigration system as one not to copy as so many skilled workers who get there can't find work when they arrive. I think this was more white collar work, but the message that work is hard to find there without Canadian experience applies widely. I do not know why, for the reasons you mention.

Its certainly difficult, must admit when we were there, showing prospective employers australian trade certificates should have been a clue to how hard this was going to be. Maybe the are familiar with UK carpenters quals, or even german ones, but didnt expect quite this level of difficulty, given that aussies are hardly an unknown breed in Canada. Maybe thats more the ski bum industry not the construction trade.

Got a few PM's too, havent had time to reply to all of them yet, just wanted to say I really appreciate them.
Old Apr 3rd 2008, 8:14 am
BE Forum Addict

Tableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond repute

Its certainly difficult, must admit when we were there, showing prospective employers australian trade certificates should have been a clue to how hard this was going to be. Maybe the are familiar with UK carpenters quals, or even german ones, but didnt expect quite this level of difficulty, given that aussies are hardly an unknown breed in Canada. Maybe thats more the ski bum industry not the construction trade.

Got a few PM's too, havent had time to reply to all of them yet, just wanted to say I really appreciate them.
Steve

It is difficult to get work in Canada, and in my opinion unnecessarily difficult. However, it is possible, and there are plenty of people who get work, including some carpentry work, etc., and some of them have posted on this forum. So stick at it and I am sure you will get it sorted in the end.
Old Apr 3rd 2008, 2:09 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Almost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond repute

Anyone?
Where are you looking to live ?

How employers recruit workers is very different over here. To anyone not used to it it is frustrating but it's the way they do it and they feel it works for them

I think you will find that they prefer face to face or telephone discussions. I know some people have struck gold by simple e-mails but, in my experience, it is very unlikely to be successful. (Judy in Calgary did a thread on this some time ago)

In essence, you need to either get yourself over here, or get on the phone - not ideal I know, but that is how it is