Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Any advice on moving to Kamloops??

Any advice on moving to Kamloops??

Old Aug 28th 2008, 8:16 pm
Forum Regular

AndyBCbound is a jewel in the roughAndyBCbound is a jewel in the roughAndyBCbound is a jewel in the roughAndyBCbound is a jewel in the roughAndyBCbound is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: Any advice on moving to Kamloops??

Originally Posted by pip_is_fab
As i say, my boyfriend is Canadian, and we do qualify for comon law partners in family class, so he is going to sponsor me, i am fairly confident i would not qualify under skilled worker, besides it takes up to 8 yrs, and at present it seems all apps under this category are suspended!! eek.
We have simply chosen kamloops as his family is based 2 hours outside of the city, and it will provide better working oppurtunities for the both of us.
I really need some advice on how long i might expect tis visa process to take as we want to be in bc by december 2009, and as a side note i was wondering what moving companies would be best cost and time wise, best reputations etc, as i have no experience with removal companies.
Any help greatly appreciated.
How much stuff do you have to move??
Old Aug 28th 2008, 8:24 pm
Forum Regular

pip_is_fab is just really nicepip_is_fab is just really nicepip_is_fab is just really nicepip_is_fab is just really nicepip_is_fab is just really nicepip_is_fab is just really nicepip_is_fab is just really nicepip_is_fab is just really nicepip_is_fab is just really nice

he has a classic mini, so we will have to get a container, in which case we will include in it a few items of furniture, boxes of clothes/linens, outdoor seating set, boxes of books/photo albums, a pc, all dependent on the atate of reapir whenm the time comes though ultimately, i mean no point in bringing over dillapidated rubbish is there!!
Old Aug 28th 2008, 8:36 pm
Forum Regular

AndyBCbound is a jewel in the roughAndyBCbound is a jewel in the roughAndyBCbound is a jewel in the roughAndyBCbound is a jewel in the roughAndyBCbound is a jewel in the rough

he has a classic mini, so we will have to get a container, in which case we will include in it a few items of furniture, boxes of clothes/linens, outdoor seating set, boxes of books/photo albums, a pc, all dependent on the atate of reapir whenm the time comes though ultimately, i mean no point in bringing over dillapidated rubbish is there!!
We hve a 4 bedroom house and have a 20ft caontainer, price is £4200, it doesnt matter what goes in it,as long as they can close the doors
I would think twice about taking a car though, insurance would be sky high and thats only if you could insure it, there is certain criteria a car has to have when importing a car into canada, even some cars from the states that are new dont meet it,so make sure you check it out first. I remember reading an article about canadians bringing in cars from the US and having them on their driveways for months on end, just because they didnt have a factory alarm fitted,and then ended up taking them back to the states:curse:
Old Aug 28th 2008, 8:56 pm
Forum Regular

pip_is_fab is just really nicepip_is_fab is just really nicepip_is_fab is just really nicepip_is_fab is just really nicepip_is_fab is just really nicepip_is_fab is just really nicepip_is_fab is just really nicepip_is_fab is just really nicepip_is_fab is just really nice

oh god, i had only thought about customs charges and having to get it through a vehicle safety test. I shall have ot get onto looking at that, cos then, we could potentially just do without a container or get a share in one for less money. gosh there really is so much to think about.
What firm are you going with for your container? and are they packing it at your house and then delivering to your new address in bc?
Old Aug 28th 2008, 8:58 pm

Steve_P is an unknown quantity at this point

he has a classic mini, so we will have to get a container
If you are considering shipping the Mini I suggest you take a look at this thread.

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=557962

It might save a dollar or two.
Old Aug 28th 2008, 9:16 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks Steve,
i'll admit the viability of financing the mini in bc has been concerning me, i shall have to remember to get all "wash" authentification done before hand, even the richest people surely wouldnt want to spend $500 on a car wash!!
Appreciate the advice!!
Old Aug 28th 2008, 11:30 pm
Forum Regular

Shawn_ldn is an unknown quantity at this point

start the procedure now, its bound to take longer than you think and even when you get it you have 6 months to land.
Get yourself organised, download the forms and start filling them out.
Old Aug 30th 2008, 9:25 am
Forum Regular

glenfiddich is on a distinguished road

Hi, We live in the Okanagan but husband is working 4 days a week in Kamloops. We are looking for a B and B in the Kamloops area. Any ideas or suggestions would be most welcome. This is a short-term solution as we are living on my parents farm for now. We hope to buy in the Kamloops area, maybe in the spring of 2009. It is a bit of a drive to pull off every day and Monte Creek is just terrible in the winter season. Thanks...

Gwenna and Clifford
Old Aug 30th 2008, 4:16 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by glenfiddich
Hi, We live in the Okanagan but husband is working 4 days a week in Kamloops. We are looking for a B and B in the Kamloops area. Any ideas or suggestions would be most welcome. This is a short-term solution as we are living on my parents farm for now. We hope to buy in the Kamloops area, maybe in the spring of 2009. It is a bit of a drive to pull off every day and Monte Creek is just terrible in the winter season. Thanks...

Gwenna and Clifford
Check out tripadvisor, enter kamloops in the search box, we have just booked a two bedroomed apartment, with kitchenette at scotts inn for a monthDelt directly with the hotel $1800, not bad considering 2 adults 2 children and a dogRemember no utillity bills either
Old Aug 30th 2008, 7:40 pm
Pea Brain

R I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by glenfiddich

Gwenna and Clifford
Try http://www.bbcanada.com/7837.html. It's a neighbour of ours, and convenient for Monte Creek (short drive along the Barnhartvale Rd to the highway south for Monte Creek and Vernon).