Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Any advice on moving to Kamloops??

Any advice on moving to Kamloops??

Old Aug 22nd 2008, 4:33 pm
Forum Regular

AndyBCbound is a jewel in the roughAndyBCbound is a jewel in the roughAndyBCbound is a jewel in the roughAndyBCbound is a jewel in the roughAndyBCbound is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: Any advice on moving to Kamloops??

Originally Posted by Rich_007
Their lives are empty and meaningless.

I can understand their fear of the wood pulp stinky business, but their fear and loathing of the arid dramatic desertscapes is somewhat strange. There's beauty in most things. Unfortunately, not in the mindlessness of British expatriates or wannabees. "No milky tea", "no Tesco", "no M&S", "no green leafy suburbia" they cry, like stuck wild pigs.

R.
Yea ,yea, keep smokin
Old Aug 22nd 2008, 11:27 pm
Banned

Surrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by R I C H
Ignorance?

One town's never going to suit everyone, so occasional criticism's not surprising.

I'm perfectly happy here, and could name many places that don't offer anywhere near the lifestyle that this area does. I'm sure you'll like it too
If it did, there would be far too many people there!
Old Aug 23rd 2008, 6:51 pm
Forum Regular

pip_is_fab is just really nicepip_is_fab is just really nicepip_is_fab is just really nicepip_is_fab is just really nicepip_is_fab is just really nicepip_is_fab is just really nicepip_is_fab is just really nicepip_is_fab is just really nicepip_is_fab is just really nice

Originally Posted by McLovin
What's Tesco? I'm Canadian.
Tescos is the main british superstore, where you can by ANYTHING under the 1 roof. from you apples all the way to a full washer dryer of fridge freezer.
Old Aug 24th 2008, 12:56 am
Forum Regular

Polar Bear will become famous soon enough

Their lives are empty and meaningless.
we could make up dumb words out of real ones to make life more interesting! 'dude'
Old Aug 24th 2008, 11:46 am
Forum Regular

AndyBCbound is a jewel in the roughAndyBCbound is a jewel in the roughAndyBCbound is a jewel in the roughAndyBCbound is a jewel in the roughAndyBCbound is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by pip_is_fab
Tescos is the main british superstore, where you can by ANYTHING under the 1 roof. from you apples all the way to a full washer dryer of fridge freezer.
Walmart aka asda
Old Aug 24th 2008, 11:53 am
Forum Regular

pip_is_fab is just really nicepip_is_fab is just really nicepip_is_fab is just really nicepip_is_fab is just really nicepip_is_fab is just really nicepip_is_fab is just really nicepip_is_fab is just really nicepip_is_fab is just really nicepip_is_fab is just really nice

Originally Posted by AndyBCbound
Walmart aka asda
i dont trust asda at all now for food, when i once accidently left a lettuce in the fridge before visiting canada for 3 weeks, i returned only to find the lettuce in the exact form i bought it in, no rotten bits at all. No further evidence required for proving use of additives i think!!
Old Aug 24th 2008, 12:00 pm
Forum Regular

i dont trust asda at all now for food, when i once accidently left a lettuce in the fridge before visiting canada for 3 weeks, i returned only to find the lettuce in the exact form i bought it in, no rotten bits at all. No further evidence required for proving use of additives i think!!
For fresh fruit produce farmers markets are good during the summer months, on saturdays, We are moving to Kamloops on October 2nd 2008, Theres another member on this forum who lives in kamloops and knows all there is to know, his britishexpat name is R I C H
Old Aug 24th 2008, 12:07 pm
Forum Regular

I have visited Kamloops a few times now, and i am helped that my other half was bought up in the region, so my own tour guide as such.
My major concern is finding a jobs. I dont have any formal quals except my GCSE's and A levels. I currently work in hotels, but i am quite keen to get out of that line of work really.
Does anyone have any suggestions of what sort of hurdles i might expect in job hunting, or some good suggestion on good employers in the area? I dont want to get landed with some horrible company.
Old Aug 24th 2008, 12:15 pm
Forum Regular

I have visited Kamloops a few times now, and i am helped that my other half was bought up in the region, so my own tour guide as such.
My major concern is finding a jobs. I dont have any formal quals except my GCSE's and A levels. I currently work in hotels, but i am quite keen to get out of that line of work really.
Does anyone have any suggestions of what sort of hurdles i might expect in job hunting, or some good suggestion on good employers in the area? I dont want to get landed with some horrible company.
My wife is starting work at a law firm in Kamloops, me i'm going to university in Kamloops, to do a business management course, figured it may help for employment in the long run
Old Aug 24th 2008, 1:17 pm
Forum Regular

your going to TRU? i was thinking about doing some studies, cos i figure the only things open to me are waiting tables and shop working. It is also so much more affordable to study in canda too.
When do you plan to move to kamloops?
We are hoping to be in canada by december 2009.
I just hat that the visa procesing times seem to be so ambiguos.
Old Aug 24th 2008, 1:53 pm
Forum Regular

your going to TRU? i was thinking about doing some studies, cos i figure the only things open to me are waiting tables and shop working. It is also so much more affordable to study in canda too.
If you go down the study route, you can get a study permit which will give your other half an open work permit, our study/work permits are for 2 years, the wife plans to apply for PR after around 3 months, with a processing time of around 4 months. So fingers crossed we could have residency by the summer, we move in 5 weeks time
Old Aug 24th 2008, 1:54 pm
Forum Regular

And yes i am going to TRU, even at my age!!
Old Aug 26th 2008, 10:50 pm
Guinness is good for you.

Airseir has much to be proud ofAirseir has much to be proud ofAirseir has much to be proud ofAirseir has much to be proud ofAirseir has much to be proud ofAirseir has much to be proud ofAirseir has much to be proud ofAirseir has much to be proud ofAirseir has much to be proud ofAirseir has much to be proud ofAirseir has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Polar Bear
Kamloops?? can't think of a good reason to move there.... arid, remote and ugly!

Doree Bonner gave us a good deal when we moved back in Feb.
LOL - from my perspective it is a paradise in the sun - although we have had quite a bit of rain here for this time of year.

I could think of loads of reasons to come here and no reasons why I would like to leave.
Old Aug 26th 2008, 10:58 pm
Guinness is good for you.

Airseir has much to be proud ofAirseir has much to be proud ofAirseir has much to be proud ofAirseir has much to be proud ofAirseir has much to be proud ofAirseir has much to be proud ofAirseir has much to be proud ofAirseir has much to be proud ofAirseir has much to be proud ofAirseir has much to be proud ofAirseir has much to be proud of

Hi,
I am hoping to move to canada with my canadian boyfriend, we both currenlty live in the UK but hope to be back around Christmas 2009.
Does anyone have suggestions on the best way to get my visa, and what type, how long it might take, anything really!!!
Also any suggestion on moving firms, the cheaper the better really!!!
Interesting thread - lol

somhow it seems to have skipped the initial question. The best way to get the Visa. I would suggest the final location is imaterial here. The quickest route would be PNP or work permit but this would entail getting a job. Have you contacted Venture Kamloops about re-locating to Kamloops?
http://www.venturekamloops.com/movetokamloops.htm?RD=1

Do you or your boyfriend fit into the skilled worker category?

Have you worked out if you can come as common law partners or both need to come independently etc?

Let me know if you want to dig into this further. - PM are often better for specifics but happy to share here as well.
Old Aug 28th 2008, 7:59 pm
Forum Regular

As i say, my boyfriend is Canadian, and we do qualify for comon law partners in family class, so he is going to sponsor me, i am fairly confident i would not qualify under skilled worker, besides it takes up to 8 yrs, and at present it seems all apps under this category are suspended!! eek.
We have simply chosen kamloops as his family is based 2 hours outside of the city, and it will provide better working oppurtunities for the both of us.
I really need some advice on how long i might expect tis visa process to take as we want to be in bc by december 2009, and as a side note i was wondering what moving companies would be best cost and time wise, best reputations etc, as i have no experience with removal companies.
Any help greatly appreciated.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.