Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Antiques Dealer & Gasfitter!!!

Antiques Dealer & Gasfitter!!!

Old Jan 16th 2012, 9:59 am
Just Joined

vickyg is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Antiques Dealer & Gasfitter!!!

Hello, I have been asking questions about areas to live in Canada to suit our families lifestyle but think I jumped the gun, should have really askeD about work and jobs!!

Hubby is a gas heating engineer and I am an antiques dealer, any ideas of good locations for both these occupations?

He works with natural gas, is that widespread or limited to certain areas?

I am flexible and plan on working online and maybe open a wee shop eventually once we find our feet. Any good antique markets? Which is another option for me.

Thanks
Vicky x
Old Jan 16th 2012, 10:47 am
Forum Regular

in the woods will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Antiques Dealer & Gasfitter!!!

well theres natural gas here in NS but it gets piped south of the boarder and most of the antique shops have closed here (cape breton) so what more can i say.
Old Jan 16th 2012, 11:58 am
Nuther day in paradise.ca

magnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond repute

There is an Antique and flea market every weekend in Courtice, east of the GTA, near Oshawa. Not a huge wage earner but a start i supose. Its a big market with 3 large units and some outside stalls.
That gives hubby the whole of the GTA to go fix forced air furnaces and cookers.
Old Jan 16th 2012, 2:50 pm

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute

Antiques in Canada, at least out of the metropolitan centres are not quite what you would expect coming from Europe. Anything that is a bit beaten up and looks old is an antique here, more like a 2nd hand store and flea market.
Old Jan 16th 2012, 2:56 pm
Just Joined

Thanks for replies, my work is not as important as I am flexable and can work online which to be honest is the way the game is going now anyway, have been doing research re hubbies job and have lost a whole afternoon!!!
Vicky
Old Jan 16th 2012, 3:51 pm

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by vickyg
Thanks for replies, my work is not as important as I am flexable and can work online which to be honest is the way the game is going now anyway, have been doing research re hubbies job and have lost a whole afternoon!!!
Vicky
Bring over a pile of junk furniture form the UK form the 50s & 60s sell it as antiques.
Old Jan 16th 2012, 4:09 pm
Just Joined

Even junk from the 50's and 60's sells here, its retro and vintage, aye right......its funny my motto has always been 'Buy junk sell antiques'!!!!
Vicky x
Old Jan 16th 2012, 5:33 pm
Slob

Souvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond repute

Even junk from the 50's and 60's sells here, its retro and vintage, aye right......its funny my motto has always been 'Buy junk sell antiques'!!!!
Vicky x
Bring over some rustic antique pine, if there is still any to be had in the UK.

I brought a 19th century Pembroke table and chest that I bought in the early 90s. I was recently thinking of chucking them out, until I found out what they can fetch here.
Old Jan 16th 2012, 5:42 pm
Just Joined

Pine is right out of fashion here, so that may be an idea!
Thanks
Vicky x
Old Jan 16th 2012, 5:44 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Most antique furniture seems to be, or is that just my imagination? Certainly the traditional dark wood stuff is sooooo much cheaper than it used to be in the UK.

BTW, if by any chance you come across an antique mahogany/walnut type square table that would extend to seat 12 or 14, send me a PM! Can't find the perfect one anywhere.
Old Jan 16th 2012, 5:45 pm
Don't call me MOM!!

snowcandy is a glorious beacon of lightsnowcandy is a glorious beacon of lightsnowcandy is a glorious beacon of lightsnowcandy is a glorious beacon of lightsnowcandy is a glorious beacon of lightsnowcandy is a glorious beacon of lightsnowcandy is a glorious beacon of lightsnowcandy is a glorious beacon of lightsnowcandy is a glorious beacon of lightsnowcandy is a glorious beacon of lightsnowcandy is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Souvy
Bring over some rustic antique pine, if there is still any to be had in the UK.

I brought a 19th century Pembroke table and chest that I bought in the early 90s. I was recently thinking of chucking them out, until I found out what they can fetch here.
Albertan climate is not too kind to antique wood. My Granny's 1940's oak dining chairs which I lovingly stripped and restored are starting to crack big time and that's after only 12 months here

Time to get the Danish Oil out......
Old Jan 16th 2012, 6:00 pm
Bon Vivant

Simon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by snowcandy
Albertan climate is not too kind to antique wood. My Granny's 1940's oak dining chairs which I lovingly stripped and restored are starting to crack big time and that's after only 12 months here

Time to get the Danish Oil out......
Do you use a humidifier in your house in the winter ?
Old Jan 16th 2012, 9:18 pm

Miss Clinique is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks
Vicky x
If its out of fashion in the UK, then they will love it here.