Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Another, possibly daft, question about electrical goods

Another, possibly daft, question about electrical goods

Old Jul 19th 2016, 7:53 pm
BE Forum Addict

scilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Another, possibly daft, question about electrical goods

Originally Posted by Pulaski
And of course US/Canadian keyboards don't have a "£" on Shift-3 (or indeed at all), that is where the "#" is.

Buried in the set-up options for Windows, you can change the keyboard map, so the keys no longer necessarily match the symbols the produced on the screen. I think there are maps for many different countries - I know that the French layout has many more differences than there are between the US and UK layout.

I use ALT + 156 (numeric pad at right of my keyboard) to type £

simple and easy
Old Jul 19th 2016, 7:56 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by scilly

simple and easy ....
I am a huge fan of Alt codes and have a fair number committed to memory - 130, 155, 156, 167, 171, 172, and 0128 are ones I use regularly.

And for anyone else, yes, it only works using the number pad to the right of the keyboard while you hold down the Alt key. For laptops there is usually a "virtual number pad" on the main keyboard, something like keys UIO, HJK, & BNM.

Last edited by Pulaski; Jul 19th 2016 at 7:59 pm.
Old Jul 19th 2016, 8:10 pm
Proudly Scarberian

Pizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond repute

That's a good reference- it should go in our wiki. Apart from the difference in frequency, the fact that both pins are live to 120v (whereas uk is 240v and 0 on the neutral) means it's very different in practise.

What clinched it for me was the cost of a 240V s-pin dryer plug- at around $40 more than the replacement cost of the tool!

Originally Posted by pdarwin
I wouldn't do it, but check the labels on the device or the instruction book and see what the voltage / current / frequency / etc tolerances are.
Read this - it's for the US but should still apply:
Can you plug a 230V 50Hz appliance into a 240V 60Hz outlet
The part about the higher breaker current cut-off is interesting.
Old Jul 19th 2016, 8:21 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pizzawheel
That's a good reference- it should go in our wiki. Apart from the difference in frequency, the fact that both pins are live to 120v (whereas uk is 240v and 0 on the neutral) means it's very different in practice. .....
For anyone unfamiliar with north American 240v plugs, the modern ones have four pins - two live, a neutral, and an earth.

Not sure about Canada, but up to the early 90's in the US, 240v plugs had only three pins - two live and a neutral, with no earth - though the neutral served as an earth connection.

The unfortunate problem is that people buy new appliances for houses built before the code change, and that haven't been rewired, and so they then fit a three pin plug to their brand new dryer. It is also not uncommon for people to replace the four pin socket with a three pin socket if they move house and take a dryer with a three pin plug with them. So the continued existence of 240v three pin plugs and sockets is somewhat self-perpetuating.
Old Jul 19th 2016, 8:30 pm
BE Forum Addict

scilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
I am a huge fan of Alt codes and have a fair number committed to memory - 130, 155, 156, 167, 171, 172, and 0128 are ones I use regularly.

And for anyone else, yes, it only works using the number pad to the right of the keyboard while you hold down the Alt key. For laptops there is usually a "virtual number pad" on the main keyboard, something like keys UIO, HJK, & BNM.

I use 156, 0188, 0189, 0190 all the time

In other words .......... £ ¼ ½ ¾

Now to check the others you show in case I can use them ........ so 171 and 172 are an alternate way for fractions. I could sometimes use 167 º, although I am now so used to typing, and reading temepratures without the degree sign

Thank you!!
Old Jul 19th 2016, 8:38 pm

I use 156, 0188, 0189, 0190 all the time

In other words .......... £ ¼ ½ ¾

Now to check the others you show in case I can use them ........ so 171 and 172 are an alternate way for fractions. I could sometimes use 167 º, although I am now so used to typing, and reading temepratures without the degree sign. ....

Thank you!!
I had never found 0190, so thanks for that too!
Old Jul 20th 2016, 4:26 am
BE Forum Addict

Old Jul 20th 2016, 12:37 pm
BE Forum Addict

Davita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond repute

It's all here ...not hard to find....Alt Codes List of Alt Key Codes Symbols
Old Jul 20th 2016, 12:43 pm

Originally Posted by Davita
It's all here ...not hard to find....Alt Codes List of Alt Key Codes Symbols
Because I mostly post from my phone, which doesn't have an Alt key, I have a page like that bookmarked so I can copy and paste characters like ¢ and ½ which my phone doesn't have in its character set.
Old Jul 22nd 2016, 1:50 am
Grumpy Know-it-all

Steve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Davita
If the Canadian house has installed wiring for 110VAC then adding a transformer to the distribution-end and running 220VAC appliances out of 220VAC sockets would work....but you'd need to comply with code and insurance.
N. American house-wires are bigger than UK wiring....this is because at 110VAC they can carry more amps.
But there's a limit to 110VAC when using big-power items like stoves and washer dryers and they need 220VAC.

The N. American grid 220VAC is derived differently from UK 220VAC.
N. America has 4 wires (2 hot phase-wires (110VAC each), 1 neutral, 1 safety). UK has 3 wires (1 hot phase-wire (220VAC), 1 neutral, 1 safety).

Those multi-voltage outlets in hotels only power small amp appliances like an electric-razor or toothbrush, etc...I think less than 5 amps max.
Ooh, this is a good answer, yes it is actually possible to do 220V in a Canadian or US house, I had a friend was who French and he managed to do it, but is it really worth all the effort.

The OP mentioned his stove and washing machine - for starters they're the wrong size so forget about voltage differences.

Any large electrical appliance of any type, forget it, the classic examples being an electric fire or portable AC unit. Or anything that heats up and uses a fair bit of electricity, like a kettle or a toaster.

Things like cellphones and laptops have adapters, so no problem.

The problem is things that are inbetween, say you've got some nice lamps for example. I had an electrician here rewire my lamps.
Old Jul 22nd 2016, 1:56 am
Grumpy Know-it-all

Steve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond repute

simple and easy
£

Or you can order a UK keyboard off Amazon.

I work in IT and I have to say that's something that comes up quite often, you can always tell which country someone is from by which keyboard they're using. You get quite intimidated by people using Chinese and Japanese keyboards. Or more freaky yet, typing in Arabic and it comes across from the right side of the screen.

"I can type 80wpm"

"I can type 80wpm in Arabic and Cyrillic."

That's when you know you're out of your depth.
Old Jul 26th 2016, 7:57 pm
Just Joined

ascouser is a splendid one to beholdascouser is a splendid one to beholdascouser is a splendid one to beholdascouser is a splendid one to beholdascouser is a splendid one to beholdascouser is a splendid one to beholdascouser is a splendid one to beholdascouser is a splendid one to beholdascouser is a splendid one to beholdascouser is a splendid one to beholdascouser is a splendid one to behold

I wish we had brought some more of the 'small things'. Power tools, dyson, carpet cleaner.
I wish I hadn't of gotten rid of loads of DVD's at a car-boot and known that a $80 multi region DVD player works very well anyhow with the DVD's the kids couldn't part with.
I love my Kitchen Aid mixer...but not with a daft travel plug adapter - one day I'll get a transformer - but I should have just bought a new one here in the sales that they have.
Big white goods - leave them behind.
HTH
Old Jul 26th 2016, 9:34 pm
Forum Regular

Lifebeginsat36 has a reputation beyond reputeLifebeginsat36 has a reputation beyond reputeLifebeginsat36 has a reputation beyond reputeLifebeginsat36 has a reputation beyond reputeLifebeginsat36 has a reputation beyond reputeLifebeginsat36 has a reputation beyond reputeLifebeginsat36 has a reputation beyond reputeLifebeginsat36 has a reputation beyond reputeLifebeginsat36 has a reputation beyond reputeLifebeginsat36 has a reputation beyond reputeLifebeginsat36 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ascouser
I wish we had brought some more of the 'small things'. Power tools, dyson, carpet cleaner.
I wish I hadn't of gotten rid of loads of DVD's at a car-boot and known that a $80 multi region DVD player works very well anyhow with the DVD's the kids couldn't part with.
I love my Kitchen Aid mixer...but not with a daft travel plug adapter - one day I'll get a transformer - but I should have just bought a new one here in the sales that they have.
HTH
Thank you - that does help especially about the dvds.
Old Jul 26th 2016, 9:42 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Maybe there should be a wiki for kids about things like this. The adults have enough to do in preparation for the move. Still important but lower priority things of this nature could be left to the kids to sort out. They are, after all, the experts.
Old Jul 27th 2016, 12:00 am
I need a walk

Stinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond repute

HTH
I disagree with the power tools comment, unless 110v - I have cupboards full of perfectly good 240 volt UK plugged power tools in the garage- good stuff, useless. Plus, they are a lot cheaper here.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.