British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Canada (https://britishexpats.com/forum/canada-56/)
-   -   another nova scotia recce (https://britishexpats.com/forum/canada-56/another-nova-scotia-recce-491296/)

snooze71 Nov 2nd 2007 10:02 pm

another nova scotia recce

Hi there

we're coming to Nova for a reccie and were wondering if anyone wanted to meet for a quick drink to impart some top tips and wise words on Nova.

we arrive on 24th November (with thermals!) and are over for a week. we'll probably spend 3 or 4 days around halifax and the south shore and then head up to the annapolis valley area.

We'd really appreciate it if anybody is around to meet up and give us a heads up on life there.

cheers:)

l i s a Nov 3rd 2007 2:20 am

Re: another nova scotia recce

Hi there

We just landed here (Halifax) last week and would be happy to meet up on your trip. There are also many BE Members in NS who have many more years /months experience of living here. Perhaps an excuse for another lunchtime meeting ??

PM me if you like and I can tell you a bit more about our journey etc....

Lisa

snooze71 Nov 4th 2007 9:57 am

Hi

thanks for your reply. Yep - would be great to meet up and see how you're enjoying it so far....where abouts are you living??

Sockdogg Nov 5th 2007 4:05 pm

Anyone want to arrange another big meet up like there was a few weeks back?

I'd be interested now that we're settled in NS.

Paul Wildy Nov 5th 2007 4:30 pm

You can count me in. Lunchtimes downtown are always good for me.

(oh, and by the way, Andy the class 1 driver from Kentville - if you're out there reading this - no, I'm not being sarcastic!)

l i s a Nov 5th 2007 5:27 pm

Count me in too. Very flexible at the moment as we are both unemployed:ohmy:

Perhaps lunchtime on the 26th or 27th?

snooze71 Nov 7th 2007 12:46 pm

thanks for the replies....26th or 27th would be great for us. is that good for anybody else?

Sockdogg Nov 7th 2007 12:48 pm

should be ok for me.

Paul Wildy Nov 7th 2007 1:11 pm

both days good for me

Halifax harpie Nov 11th 2007 6:49 pm

Originally Posted by snooze71 (Post 5523494)
thanks for the replies....26th or 27th would be great for us. is that good for anybody else?

Is this still on? Can I come::unsure:

destinationnovascotia Nov 11th 2007 8:42 pm

Originally Posted by NSpaul (Post 5514031)
You can count me in. Lunchtimes downtown are always good for me.

(oh, and by the way, Andy the class 1 driver from Kentville - if you're out there reading this - no, I'm not being sarcastic!)

Not even a little bit?:rofl:

NovaBoy Nov 11th 2007 11:20 pm

Count us in - anytime is good with us as I'm unemployed too! :eek:

Just let us know where & when.

:thumbsup:

snooze71 Nov 12th 2007 11:04 am

Grrrreat....if everyone can make both days, shall we meet up on tuesday lunchtime (27th) ?????

can somebody suggest a location??

Londonuck Nov 12th 2007 11:15 am

Originally Posted by snooze71 (Post 5503455)
Hi there

we're coming to Nova for a reccie and were wondering if anyone wanted to meet for a quick drink to impart some top tips and wise words on Nova.

we arrive on 24th November (with thermals!) and are over for a week. we'll probably spend 3 or 4 days around halifax and the south shore and then head up to the annapolis valley area.

We'd really appreciate it if anybody is around to meet up and give us a heads up on life there.

cheers:)

1 bit of advice - dont eat in the Chinese just on your way out of AV... truly awful!

thedignans Nov 12th 2007 3:25 pm

Hi there,

If only it was the week later and we could have came too. We land on the 3rd December oh well Mike and I will defo be at the next reccie trip..........as Permanent Residents Yea ha

julie

scrubbedexpat074 Nov 14th 2007 10:34 am

Originally Posted by snooze71 (Post 5523494)

I'm actually in England at the moment, but I'm flying back on 24th Nov so I'll be in for sure! Are you on AC861 from Heathrow on 24th? I can meet you on the plane if you are interested!

Sockdogg Nov 15th 2007 6:08 pm

Anybody got any preferences as to where we meet? Also are we set on Tuesday 27th?

I'm based at Dal so anywhere along Spring Garden or there abouts is fine with me, if its further then I'll need to drive and take a longer lunch.

snooze71 Nov 15th 2007 6:19 pm

hi ziggy
yep - we're on that flight although we haven't prebooked seats so not sure where we're sitting....shall we wear red roses in our lapels and have a secret codeword to meet up???

scrubbedexpat074 Nov 15th 2007 6:56 pm

Originally Posted by Sockdogg (Post 5558936)
Anybody got any preferences as to where we meet? Also are we set on Tuesday 27th?

I'm based at Dal so anywhere along Spring Garden or there abouts is fine with me, if its further then I'll need to drive and take a longer lunch.

I'll need somewhere I can bring my boy (three years old) but am easy, traditional meets have so far been held at the Lower Deck...

scrubbedexpat074 Nov 15th 2007 6:57 pm

Originally Posted by snooze71 (Post 5558984)
hi ziggy
yep - we're on that flight although we haven't prebooked seats so not sure where we're sitting....shall we wear red roses in our lapels and have a secret codeword to meet up???

LOL, I haven't booked yet either, totally failed in the "try to get more than one seat" lottery on the way over. I'll PM you... soon.

NovaBoy Nov 17th 2007 6:58 pm

Originally Posted by ziggy8080 (Post 5559094)
traditional meets have so far been held at the Lower Deck...

What does everyone think? Anyone against?

Will have to make a decision soon! Time's a runnin out! :confused:

Paul Wildy Nov 19th 2007 8:27 pm

Originally Posted by ziggy8080 (Post 5559101)
LOL, I haven't booked yet either, totally failed in the "try to get more than one seat" lottery on the way over. I'll PM you... soon.

A helpful girl at the Air Canada desk once told me the best way to get a spare seat....

The seats that fill-up first are the outsides of whatever section you're in plus the window. So, in a plane that has a an A,B - C,D,E - F,G configuration for example the one that will be left will be seat D because people travelling alone will fill the isle and window seats. And further the last seats to fill will be towards the back of the plane. So if you are travelling as couple you should select seats C and E fairly near the back. If there are 4 of you go for something like 36C, 36E, 37C and 37E. The chances of a lone traveller choosing seat D in between you are extremely slim unless the flight is totally full.

By the way, was there a definite time and date set for this meet-up?

I'm fine with the Lower Deck but equally happy with another venue if everyone fancies a change

snooze71 Nov 22nd 2007 10:33 am

Hi everyone

Just wanted to confirm the meet up details as we fly on Saturday and I probably won't get a chance to get online tomorrow.

So did we agree Tuesday at the Lower Deck?? What time suits everybody - looking through past meet up threads midday seems to suit but any time is good for us.

Look forward to meeting you all - we'll just listed out for lots of British accents and speak very loudly ourselves so you can spot us!!

toodlepips

NovaBoy Nov 22nd 2007 12:47 pm

Originally Posted by snooze71 (Post 5587629)
Hi everyone

Just wanted to confirm the meet up details as we fly on Saturday and I probably won't get a chance to get online tomorrow.

So did we agree Tuesday at the Lower Deck?? What time suits everybody - looking through past meet up threads midday seems to suit but any time is good for us.

Look forward to meeting you all - we'll just listed out for lots of British accents and speak very loudly ourselves so you can spot us!!

toodlepips

Great.........so that's it sorted then!

Tuesday 27th, midday at the Lower Deck.

I love it when a plan comes together. ;)

See you all there...........last one to turn up pays the bill (or is that check)!

:thumbsup:

Cookie Nov 23rd 2007 7:17 pm

I would like to meet you all at the lower deck on Tuesday but I have a dilemma.....

Since I am travelling down from New Glasgow on my own (1.5 hour drive), I would like to kill 2 birds with one stone and go to Costco at Bayers Lake. Now I know how to get to the Ferry Terminal in Dartmouth so I can simply cross over to the harbourfront for the meet. I also know how to get to Costco but I don't know how to get from Costco to the ferry terminal in Dartmouth.

My navigation is absolutely rubbish, so is there anyone near Costco that would be able to meet me and take me to the upper deck and return me to my car at Costco - or could I follow someone from Costco and park nearby the lower deck. That way I wouldn't land up at Peggy's Cove :rofl:

NovaBoy Nov 24th 2007 1:14 pm

Originally Posted by Yes-can-do (Post 5593099)
I would like to meet you all at the lower deck on Tuesday but I have a dilemma.....

Since I am travelling down from New Glasgow on my own (1.5 hour drive), I would like to kill 2 birds with one stone and go to Costco at Bayers Lake. Now I know how to get to the Ferry Terminal in Dartmouth so I can simply cross over to the harbourfront for the meet. I also know how to get to Costco but I don't know how to get from Costco to the ferry terminal in Dartmouth.

My navigation is absolutely rubbish, so is there anyone near Costco that would be able to meet me and take me to the upper deck and return me to my car at Costco - or could I follow someone from Costco and park nearby the lower deck. That way I wouldn't land up at Peggy's Cove :rofl:

Consider your dilemma SORTED! :)

We (Me & wife) have to pass Bayers Lake on the way to town anyway, so if you want - we can meet you at Costco, drive into town in our car then drop you back at your car!

At least that way - we can all get lost together!!:rofl::eek:

Will PM you!

Cookie Nov 24th 2007 1:55 pm

Originally Posted by NovaBoy (Post 5595712)
Consider your dilemma SORTED! :)

We (Me & wife) have to pass Bayers Lake on the way to town anyway, so if you want - we can meet you at Costco, drive into town in our car then drop you back at your car!

At least that way - we can all get lost together!!:rofl::eek:

Will PM you!

Thanks Novaboy - count me in :thumbsup:

scrubbedexpat074 Nov 26th 2007 10:23 am

Originally Posted by snooze71 (Post 5587629)
Hi everyone

toodlepips

Have a good time tomorrow - I'm still in England alas ... :(

mumof2 Nov 26th 2007 7:41 pm

Hi All,

Was wondering if you would mind another Brit gatecrashing your meet ?

I have been in Nova Scotia about 8 weeks now,, but do no know where

Lower Deck is ?

Thanks

Michelle

Cookie Nov 26th 2007 8:15 pm

Originally Posted by mumof2 (Post 5603180)
Hi All,

Lower Deck is ?

Thanks

Michelle

Hi Michelle

I am also going - not sure exactly where it is but I think its at the Halifax harbourfront, close to Salty's. I am being picked up at Costco and driven there. :)

Paul Wildy Nov 26th 2007 8:25 pm

Originally Posted by mumof2 (Post 5603180)
Hi All,

Lower Deck is ?

Thanks

Michelle

some directions on their website: http://www.lowerdeck.ca/contact_us.aspx

Cookie Nov 29th 2007 9:58 pm

Thanks everyone for meeting up at the Lower Deck. It was nice to put a face to names.

Thanks again to Mr and Mrs Novaboy for taking me there too.

mumof2 Nov 29th 2007 11:08 pm

Hi All,

Wasnt able to attend your meet,, let me know if you plan to do this again pleaseeee......

Would love to hear everyone's experiences so far

Michelle

sans Nov 30th 2007 4:45 am

Originally Posted by Yes-can-do (Post 5615733)
Thanks everyone for meeting up at the Lower Deck. It was nice to put a face to names.

Here is a photo of us all. I won't name you all - we know who we are :D

:sneaky: O......... You tease :lol:

Cookie Nov 30th 2007 10:56 am

Originally Posted by mumof2 (Post 5615959)
Hi All,

Wasnt able to attend your meet,, let me know if you plan to do this again pleaseeee......

Would love to hear everyone's experiences so far

Michelle

I am sure we will all be meeting again next year. I am going to PM you. :)

NovaBoy Nov 30th 2007 6:15 pm

Originally Posted by Yes-can-do (Post 5615733)

Here is a photo of us all. I won't name you all - we know who we are :D

How much will it take to destroy the evidence! :rofl::eek::thumbup:

NovaBoy Nov 30th 2007 11:06 pm

Originally Posted by Yes-can-do (Post 5617396)

There's a full month to go before next year - surely we could get another couple in before then??? :eek::beer::rofl::thumbup:

destinationnovascotia Dec 1st 2007 7:27 am

Originally Posted by Yes-can-do (Post 5617396)

Put me down for one next Easter

andy_sheila Dec 1st 2007 1:22 pm

hey there. hope the meet went well, I couldn't have made it anyway - was working. but let me know when the next one is, would love to meet up with everyone
Andy's on the road a lot, but we should be able to schedule something in
Sheila

snooze71 Dec 17th 2007 8:57 am

apolgies for the very belated post (i thought i'd posted before but obviously forgot to hit the submit button - doh!) but a BIG thank you to everyone who came on this meet up and for all the top tips and advice given - it was really good to put names to face as well.
We had a great week in Nova - didn't quite make it up to the AV area but got stuck on the lighthouse route - v.v. beautiful. People all very nice and friendly. Coastline gorgeous. Definitely a place we'd like to come back to in the Summer.
We can definitely see why so many Brits are moving out to Nova. the quality of life looks great and you get a lot of house for your buck compared to back home. We're going to have a few months cogitating on whether its for us, weighing up the pros and cons but we wish everybody heading over there all the luck....