British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Canada (https://britishexpats.com/forum/canada-56/)
-   -   Another Newbie (https://britishexpats.com/forum/canada-56/another-newbie-486176/)

catnikkie Oct 9th 2007 9:17 am

Another Newbie

Hi, we are a family of four with children aged 6 and 3 (nearly 4). My husband is a bricklayer and multi skilled builder, I am an administrator, and we are both hoping to secure employment in Canada so that we can live our dream. We are currently undecided on which area we want to live in, we were advised that Edmonton would be a good place to start, however after reading several items on Edmonton and Fort McMurray area in particular, I think we'll stay away from there. There seems to be an abundance of bricklaying jobs in the Calgary, BC and Ontario areas, any advice would be very gratefully received.

Also any advice on schooling for the kids would be a great help. There is so much information out there that it's difficult to know where to start.

Many thanks.

:)

Member123 Oct 9th 2007 9:57 am

Re: Another Newbie

Hello and welcome to BE.

I cannot answer your questions as my OH is a Heavy Duty Mechanic and we are going to Saskatchewan.

However if you use the Wiki button in the blue line at the top of this page - you will find excellent advice on working abroad.

Also try using the search button on this forum and you will get lots of good results.

Good luck in your quest for a better life:thumbup:

Alison

catnikkie Oct 9th 2007 10:43 am

Originally Posted by Alvic (Post 5404087)
Hello and welcome to BE.

I cannot answer your questions as my OH is a Heavy Duty Mechanic and we are going to Saskatchewan.

However if you use the Wiki button in the blue line at the top of this page - you will find excellent advice on working abroad.

Also try using the search button on this forum and you will get lots of good results.

Good luck in your quest for a better life:thumbup:

Alison

Thanks for the advice. I shall attempt to plough through the masses of info.

purple80 Oct 9th 2007 10:45 am

Welcome,
Hope you find all the info you need and if not ask, very helpful bunch.:)
:wub:Charlie:wub:

catnikkie Oct 9th 2007 10:58 am

Originally Posted by purple80 (Post 5404239)
Welcome,
Hope you find all the info you need and if not ask, very helpful bunch.:)
:wub:Charlie:wub:

Hi, I have been following several threads with regards to immigration and the information so far has been very helpful especially regarding TWP and PNP's. At least we now have a clearer view of how to go about things.

gryphea Oct 9th 2007 5:53 pm

Hello and welcome

We are out to Calgary soonish on a WP with our 5 yr old and nearly 3 yr old.

I have checked out schooling options and Judy's education wiki on Calgary schools is a great place to start. I went to about 5 schools on our reccie and so could give some more info on Calgary schools if needed

Gryph

catnikkie Oct 10th 2007 9:08 am

Originally Posted by gryphea (Post 5405362)
Hello and welcome

We are out to Calgary soonish on a WP with our 5 yr old and nearly 3 yr old.

I have checked out schooling options and Judy's education wiki on Calgary schools is a great place to start. I went to about 5 schools on our reccie and so could give some more info on Calgary schools if needed

Gryph

Hi Gryph

Thanks for all the information. I have taken a look at the education on wiki and there is so much to take in. Do you know if the schools you have visited in Calgary take children whose parents are on a WP for free education or are you expected to pay the $10,000?

Many thanks.

gryphea Oct 10th 2007 1:15 pm

Originally Posted by catnikkie (Post 5407526)
Hi Gryph

Thanks for all the information. I have taken a look at the education on wiki and there is so much to take in. Do you know if the schools you have visited in Calgary take children whose parents are on a WP for free education or are you expected to pay the $10,000?

Many thanks.

No , if you are on a wp you get it for free (well for tjhe vvery nominal fee they charge any residents) . Debate rages , however if you seem to need a study permit for your kids or not. London appear to interpret solid CIC advice differently fropm anyone else. So I think you may well need one if getting WPs through london , whereas at POE you may not. I think they are $150

Gryph

catnikkie Oct 10th 2007 1:18 pm

Originally Posted by gryphea (Post 5408914)
No , if you are on a wp you get it for free (well for tjhe vvery nominal fee they charge any residents) . Debate rages , however if you seem to need a study permit for your kids or not. London appear to interpret solid CIC advice differently fropm anyone else. So I think you may well need one if getting WPs through london , whereas at POE you may not. I think they are $150

Gryph

From the information I have I believed you needed to get study permits for the children when on a WP. Do you have your WP already, if so, how long did it take, or are you going to get one at POE?

Thanks.

R2D2 Oct 10th 2007 2:57 pm

Edmonton area is a great place to live with a young family.
House prices here have sky rocketed too over the last 3 yrs and really not much different now to Calgary.

As for Fort Mac, thats a different animal altogether, and totally different to both Edmonton and calgary.

bobcaygeonjon Oct 12th 2007 8:29 pm

Hi. I'm a bricklayer too. I shall be moving over in about 2009. Your husband has to be carefull. The building trades are booming right now and Bricklayers are in demand but Bricklaying is a regional thing. I was out in Vancouver in 1997 and didnt see a single brick house. There is a Can gov site called Job Bank where you can do a regional search for jobs. I worked in Couburg Ontario in 1993 and the hourly rate was about double that of UK but it is about the same if not slightly less now. How do you think he would like to work? IE by himself doing garden projects, the odd house, one man band or does he want an actuall job? If he goes for a job either as a subbie or employee one piece off advice I can give him is to try to avoid housing projects. You need to look for the contractors who carry out the commercial contracts such as schools, shops, offices, apartments etc. Thats where the money is. BTW Unless you work for yourself there is no such thing as price work. It is all paid by the hour and the rates vary a lot between employers. But dont think that if you are being paid hourly rates you can take it easy. I never worked so hard in my life. we were expected to put a thousand in day after day after day. But dont let that scare you too much the bricks are smaller and lighter and we were working as 14 brickies with 10 labourers so all we had to do was lay.
But if we live close enough to each other maybe we can gang up and take over the whole world..........:thumbsup:

anne-ireland Oct 14th 2007 10:41 pm

Originally Posted by bobcaygeonjon (Post 5418467)
Hi. I'm a bricklayer too. I shall be moving over in about 2009. Your husband has to be carefull. The building trades are booming right now and Bricklayers are in demand but Bricklaying is a regional thing. I was out in Vancouver in 1997 and didnt see a single brick house. There is a Can gov site called Job Bank where you can do a regional search for jobs. I worked in Couburg Ontario in 1993 and the hourly rate was about double that of UK but it is about the same if not slightly less now. How do you think he would like to work? IE by himself doing garden projects, the odd house, one man band or does he want an actuall job? If he goes for a job either as a subbie or employee one piece off advice I can give him is to try to avoid housing projects. You need to look for the contractors who carry out the commercial contracts such as schools, shops, offices, apartments etc. Thats where the money is. BTW Unless you work for yourself there is no such thing as price work. It is all paid by the hour and the rates vary a lot between employers. But dont think that if you are being paid hourly rates you can take it easy. I never worked so hard in my life. we were expected to put a thousand in day after day after day. But dont let that scare you too much the bricks are smaller and lighter and we were working as 14 brickies with 10 labourers so all we had to do was lay.
But if we live close enough to each other maybe we can gang up and take over the whole world..........:thumbsup:

hi more newbies here, hubby also bricklayer, has been told by agency in dublin loads of jobs for brickies, as there is a slow down in ireland were thinking of heading over, be interested to hear how ye all get on, and any advice gratefully accepted

Journeyman Electrician Oct 15th 2007 4:32 am

Hi

In Alberta JK starts at five (part time am or pm) and SK at Six, we have four children all at school (catholic) aged five to fourteen and they love it. Public schools in Canada are not private as in UK but what they say they are public. The vast majority of education boards have web sites and will happily respond to your enquiry.

We have also lived in Ontario and its the same system there.

Ontario's labour market is flooded, Alberta's is in the boom cycle and should be such for at least the next ten years.
If I was in your position I would start in Alberta to enable a firm foundation to your Canadian endeavours.

Journeyman Electrician Oct 15th 2007 4:44 am

Gryph

In addition to SP fee of $150 each you will be required to supply text books and other resources each term which equates to approx $80 per term per child (dependant on age). We've got four children and go to Wall Mart, Staples, Zellers, Real Canadian Superstore and Canadian Tyre to get the required supplies. You will also need to supply indoor and outdoor shoes for your children. Although the above is not thousands of dollars it still adds up.

catnikkie Oct 15th 2007 8:58 am

Originally Posted by bobcaygeonjon (Post 5418467)

Hi, thanks for the info it's extremely helpful. We are already searching on Job Bank and there seems to be lots of demand for bricklayers in Ontario at the moment and we are hoping to do a reccie visit to the area in February. For the time being he will have to get an actual job as we are looking to come over initially on a WP and then take things from there. Thanks again.