Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

another cost of living question!

another cost of living question!

Old Jul 20th 2007, 4:06 pm
Forum Regular

rabrol has much to be proud ofrabrol has much to be proud ofrabrol has much to be proud ofrabrol has much to be proud ofrabrol has much to be proud ofrabrol has much to be proud ofrabrol has much to be proud ofrabrol has much to be proud ofrabrol has much to be proud ofrabrol has much to be proud ofrabrol has much to be proud of
Default Re: another cost of living question!

Originally Posted by NSpaul
After tax income on $65k in BC would be nearer to $4,000 per month (according to salary calculator at http://www.ey.com/GLOBAL/content.nsf...6_Personal_Tax - which is a very useful tool by the way)
I'd say thats plenty for a family to live on - at least here in Edmonton it is. We make a lot less than that, pay rent of $1200 per month and run 1 vehicle. Granted I walk to work every day, so that keeps costs down a bit. We don't have a large surplus every month, but enough to eat out with the family (5 of us) once or twice. We do have to choose carefully where the money goes, but we always get to do the funs stuff like swimming, skating, fishing etc. We didn't do that in the UK a few times a month!

Rob
Old Jul 21st 2007, 2:06 pm
Forum Regular

Juliew is a jewel in the roughJuliew is a jewel in the roughJuliew is a jewel in the roughJuliew is a jewel in the roughJuliew is a jewel in the rough

Hi there,

Based upon your salary expectations you should be fine. Nurses are generally way better off in North America than in the UK. I am currently based in Tunbridge Wells and my husband and I are moving to the Fraser Valley this August. We are orginally from the Vancouver area. Although we know where to shop in the Vancouver area and we are quite frugal, we believe that we could live comfortably (not including mortgage payments, maintaince of house and property tax) on $2000 a month for two adults and a child. I base this on the following calculations ($600 for food (shop at Superstore), $350 for gas and insurance (based on one economy car and insurance with 40% discount), $100 for TV, phone (including long distance) and broadband - see Shaw's packages, $150 for heating and electrics, $400 for weekend entertainment, $200 for clothing and incidentals, $100 for gym-not private but a local community centre and $100 for unaccounted extras.
This would be a tight budget, but not unreasonable. If you were to add an extra $1000 you would be quite comfortable, but it all depends on how well you manage your money. Also note, if you are going to be working at a nurse you may want to pay into a pension which will probably consume another 7% of your gross pay. Also don't forget to take off deductions such as medical plan contributions and extended health benefits. Although many employers will contribute to this, expect to pay approximately $80 to $100 a month. Also, union dues can be quite high, but are well worth it in my opinion (just compare nursing pay in BC compared to the UK)- possibly $50 a month at least. After all these deductions, I would guess that you would take home approximately $3600 to $3800 home a month. Oh I forgot, if your children are under the age of six you may qualify for an additional $200.00 a month from the government - look into that.

If your husband starts work you will be quite comfortable - without a mortgage that is. Just to give you some reassurance, most of my Canadian friends take home approximately $5000 to $7000 a month-generally two people workin. In this they cover mortage costs, living expenses, holidays and etc. In this salary range they live very comfortably; however it really depends on how you spend your money. Also, don't forget that as mentioned in a previous post that you may earn a lot of extra pay through overtime.

One last point, nurses are in demand in the Vancouver area, so you may want to look for a job in Coquitlam or Burnaby as opposed to North Vancouver.

Good luck
Julie

Originally Posted by nursemakeyouwell
I know you've all been asked before about cost of living, but I wondered whether anyone can answer quite a specific question.

so here's the deal. I have a firm job offer as a nurse in North Vancouver starting early summer next year ( our choice to delay it until then). We have two kids, so for the first few months at least hubby will have to take care of them, and we will be living solely on mywage. We can probably afford to buy a house mortgage free in a cheaper area like coquitlam or port moody, but in your humble opinions, would my wage of around 65,500 canadian dollars, that's roughly 5,500 per month, be enough to cover the cost of living? we've read all about the high taxes, insurances etc, we'll have to get at least one car, plus all the usual bills for amenities, food etc.

Would be really interested to here what salaries people live on, and does that leave any spare, or will we be scrimping to live?

Look forward to hearing about the cost if living in Vancouver, if you have any tips or stories to tell!

thanks, Jo X

Last edited by Juliew; Jul 21st 2007 at 2:10 pm.
Old Jul 26th 2007, 7:50 pm
Binned by Muderators

JonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond repute

I agree with many of the posters above. A lot depends upon your choice of lifestyle, but IMO on $65k a year with no mortgage you will be just fine, comfortable even.

As a nurse I assume you will be working shifts? If so, don't worry about the commute too much. Hwy 1 is busy westwards 6.00 - 8.00 am and eastwards 3.00 - 6.00 pm. Otherwise it is a breeze. The only place that is almost always busy is the approach to the Port Mann bridge westbound. If you are looking in the Coquitlam/Tri Cities are you will avoid this. It is however, something to think about if you extend your house hunting to Surrey and Langley.

I don't know The Tri Cities (Coquitlam, Port Coquitlam, and Port Moody) all that well, but enough to know they have some good areas, some very good areas, and some not so good areas. There are no real areas to avoid - it just depends on how important things like access to the freeway, distance to shopping, and distance to the ocean/rivers and the back country are.

One downside of the area is that it is close to the North Shore mountains so it does get more than it's fair share of rain.

If you are visiting for a "looksee" I'll be happy to meet up and give you my perspective on things.
Old Jul 26th 2007, 9:02 pm
trust me - I'm a nurse

nursemakeyouwell is just really nicenursemakeyouwell is just really nicenursemakeyouwell is just really nicenursemakeyouwell is just really nicenursemakeyouwell is just really nicenursemakeyouwell is just really nicenursemakeyouwell is just really nicenursemakeyouwell is just really nicenursemakeyouwell is just really nice

Great tips, thanks very much. Might take you up on your offer of meeting up, we are coming over in October, so I'll keep in touch and let you know nearer the time.

Does it rain more on the North Shore than the rest of the area then?
Old Jul 26th 2007, 9:25 pm
BE Forum Addict

Yoong has a reputation beyond reputeYoong has a reputation beyond reputeYoong has a reputation beyond reputeYoong has a reputation beyond reputeYoong has a reputation beyond reputeYoong has a reputation beyond reputeYoong has a reputation beyond reputeYoong has a reputation beyond reputeYoong has a reputation beyond reputeYoong has a reputation beyond reputeYoong has a reputation beyond repute

The problem is driving home after night shift can be a challenge.
It is just like impaired driving , most of my co workers and my self
included have had own near missed accident experiences.

I know it is like throwing away money when renting,but sometimes
you need time to look around before buying a house.
Or bite the bullet and buy a house in North Van. with a
small mortgage.

Overtime is plentiful, with shift differentials,stat holidays,etc
and to be conservative you could easily earn $70-80K.Some of my
co workers earn over $100K and above due to overtime.

Yoong
Old Jul 26th 2007, 9:27 pm
Binned by Muderators

JonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond repute

Great tips, thanks very much. Might take you up on your offer of meeting up, we are coming over in October, so I'll keep in touch and let you know nearer the time.

Does it rain more on the North Shore than the rest of the area then?
Yup, about 70" a year on the North Shore compared to 44" in Vancouver and 40" in White Rock
Old Jul 26th 2007, 9:47 pm
trust me - I'm a nurse

nursemakeyouwell is just really nicenursemakeyouwell is just really nicenursemakeyouwell is just really nicenursemakeyouwell is just really nicenursemakeyouwell is just really nicenursemakeyouwell is just really nicenursemakeyouwell is just really nicenursemakeyouwell is just really nicenursemakeyouwell is just really nice

Originally Posted by Yoong
The problem is driving home after night shift can be a challenge.
It is just like impaired driving , most of my co workers and my self
included have had own near missed accident experiences.

I know it is like throwing away money when renting,but sometimes
you need time to look around before buying a house.
Or bite the bullet and buy a house in North Van. with a
small mortgage.

Overtime is plentiful, with shift differentials,stat holidays,etc
and to be conservative you could easily earn $70-80K.Some of my
co workers earn over $100K and above due to overtime.

Yoong
sounds promising - good point about the long post night shift drive though.
Old Jul 26th 2007, 9:49 pm
trust me - I'm a nurse

Originally Posted by JonboyE
Yup, about 70" a year on the North Shore compared to 44" in Vancouver and 40" in White Rock
at the moment in the UK we laugh in the face of your 70"!!! half of us are drowning in our wonderful british summer! so I don't know why i'm even worrying about the rainfall, as we are rainfall veterans!!!
Old Jul 26th 2007, 10:02 pm
Binned by Muderators

The summers here are just gorgeous, but the rain usually starts in the middle of October. Depending when you come you might get to see a Pineapple Express in its full glory.
Old Jul 26th 2007, 10:03 pm
BE Forum Addict

Yoong has a reputation beyond reputeYoong has a reputation beyond reputeYoong has a reputation beyond reputeYoong has a reputation beyond reputeYoong has a reputation beyond reputeYoong has a reputation beyond reputeYoong has a reputation beyond reputeYoong has a reputation beyond reputeYoong has a reputation beyond reputeYoong has a reputation beyond reputeYoong has a reputation beyond repute

sounds promising - good point about the long post night shift drive though.
You will find out more from your coworkers when you get here.
Yoong
Old Jul 26th 2007, 10:10 pm
trust me - I'm a nurse

The summers here are just gorgeous, but the rain usually starts in the middle of October. Depending when you come you might get to see a Pineapple Express in its full glory.
pineapple express????!!!!!
Old Jul 26th 2007, 10:11 pm
trust me - I'm a nurse

Originally Posted by Yoong
You will find out more from your coworkers when you get here.
Yoong
where do you work, it sounds like you are a nurse, too, poor soul!!
Old Jul 26th 2007, 10:17 pm
Binned by Muderators

pineapple express????!!!!!
It's when the jet stream blows the air mass from Hawaii to Vancouver. It happens once or twice a year. It's warm, but boy does it rain when it hits the North Shore Mountains.
Old Jul 26th 2007, 10:19 pm
trust me - I'm a nurse

It's when the jet stream blows the air mass from Hawaii to Vancouver. It happens once or twice a year. It's warm, but boy does it rain when it hits the North Shore Mountains.
interesting!!
Old Jul 26th 2007, 10:25 pm
Binned by Muderators

I hope I'm not putting you off.

It is really very lovely here and I've never regretted our move for a moment.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.