Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Another bank holiday weekend fantastic!

Another bank holiday weekend fantastic!

Old Aug 5th 2006, 5:21 am
BE Forum Addict

Mountain Girl has a reputation beyond reputeMountain Girl has a reputation beyond reputeMountain Girl has a reputation beyond reputeMountain Girl has a reputation beyond reputeMountain Girl has a reputation beyond reputeMountain Girl has a reputation beyond reputeMountain Girl has a reputation beyond reputeMountain Girl has a reputation beyond reputeMountain Girl has a reputation beyond reputeMountain Girl has a reputation beyond reputeMountain Girl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Another bank holiday weekend fantastic!

Well I must say I am impressed with the amount of bank holidays in Calgary. They seem to have one every month, which is fantastic!!!.

I have also just got offered a full time role where the office is closed every third Friday! An extra 17 days off a year.

Admittedly restrictive but not bad, every third FRIDAY is an extra 17 day's off a year. On top of the 15 days holiday, as well as the eleven statutory holidays for nothing!!!!

So I get a total off 43 days holiday a year.

I used to work in London in Investment banking and used to get 22 days a years plus 8 days public holidays.

So I think I am definitely better off here in Calgary.
Old Aug 5th 2006, 8:26 am
Forum Regular

MrsWillow is just really niceMrsWillow is just really niceMrsWillow is just really niceMrsWillow is just really niceMrsWillow is just really niceMrsWillow is just really niceMrsWillow is just really niceMrsWillow is just really niceMrsWillow is just really nice
Default Re: Another bank holiday weekend fantastic!

Brilliant! So what have you got planned? If I had a long weekend in Calgary I would be so busy. When we land in SK in November we are going to head that way on a tiny, little drive.

Brilliant about the long weekends.
Old Aug 5th 2006, 2:55 pm
mañana is my busiest day

oceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by smelly
Well I must say I am impressed with the amount of bank holidays in Calgary. They seem to have one every month, which is fantastic!!!.

I have also just got offered a full time role where the office is closed every third Friday! An extra 17 days off a year.

Admittedly restrictive but not bad, every third FRIDAY is an extra 17 day's off a year. On top of the 15 days holiday, as well as the eleven statutory holidays for nothing!!!!

I used to work in London in Investment banking and used to get 22 days a years plus 8 days public holidays.

Canadians love long weekends. That's when the resorts are at their busiest. Have you been up to Sylvan Lake (aka the "Redneck Riviera") yet?
Old Aug 5th 2006, 3:01 pm
little snowy owl

Alberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by smelly

I'm the same .... every third Friday off and a stat holiday almost every month! I get 15 days too, once I have "earned" it.

I can't complain at all, except all my family seem to be off at differing times, ... I treasure the days we have off together!

I am managing to get most of the 2 weeks in September that my parents are visiting .... I think I can juggle enough accrued leave and flex time from working next weekend.... and maybe a day or two unpaid.....
Old Aug 5th 2006, 6:10 pm
BE Enthusiast

NessieOggy has a reputation beyond reputeNessieOggy has a reputation beyond reputeNessieOggy has a reputation beyond reputeNessieOggy has a reputation beyond reputeNessieOggy has a reputation beyond reputeNessieOggy has a reputation beyond reputeNessieOggy has a reputation beyond reputeNessieOggy has a reputation beyond reputeNessieOggy has a reputation beyond reputeNessieOggy has a reputation beyond reputeNessieOggy has a reputation beyond repute

I'm on a year's leave from work... and forgot that this was a long weekend!!

At my workplace, we get every 2nd Friday off (work a slightly longer day, shorter lunch)... so if you are lucky enough to have your Friday off on the weekend of a Stat, then you're really smiling about a long weekend. Easter can provide a really nice "time out".

Oggy
Old Aug 5th 2006, 6:15 pm
Forum Regular

sbays is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by NessieOggy
I'm on a year's leave from work... and forgot that this was a long weekend!!

At my workplace, we get every 2nd Friday off (work a slightly longer day, shorter lunch)... so if you are lucky enough to have your Friday off on the weekend of a Stat, then you're really smiling about a long weekend. Easter can provide a really nice "time out".

Oggy
I quit work after leaving the UK,,,,, I am now going to University in Kamloops....

I broke up April 28th, I dont go back till september, I cannot remember what day it is let alone a bank hol;
Old Aug 5th 2006, 6:51 pm

Steve_P is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by sbays
I quit work after leaving the UK,,,,, I am now going to University in Kamloops....

I broke up April 28th, I dont go back till september, I cannot remember what day it is let alone a bank hol;
I officially retired in 2003, every weekend is a long weekend 7 days long.
Old Aug 5th 2006, 8:26 pm
Islander

windward is a name known to allwindward is a name known to allwindward is a name known to allwindward is a name known to allwindward is a name known to allwindward is a name known to allwindward is a name known to allwindward is a name known to allwindward is a name known to allwindward is a name known to allwindward is a name known to all

Good thread this... somewhat assuaged my worries about only having two weeks holiday a year - though I doubt I'll end up with a job high-profile enough to earn me Fridays off

Karma sent.
Old Aug 6th 2006, 12:12 pm

Souvenir is an unknown quantity at this point

It's not a long weekend here.
Old Aug 6th 2006, 1:01 pm
I'm a girl, dagnabbit! :)

Wannabe has much to be proud ofWannabe has much to be proud ofWannabe has much to be proud ofWannabe has much to be proud ofWannabe has much to be proud ofWannabe has much to be proud ofWannabe has much to be proud ofWannabe has much to be proud ofWannabe has much to be proud ofWannabe has much to be proud ofWannabe has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Souvenir
It is on the other side of the river.

And the exciting thing I'm using my bank holiday for, is driving by the garage to see if the mechanic is there, to fix a hole in my muffler... *grrr*
Old Aug 6th 2006, 1:22 pm
Banned

Butch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Souvenir
Maybe the Quebecois dont like to celebrate their heritage????
Old Aug 6th 2006, 2:07 pm
I'm a girl, dagnabbit! :)

Wannabe has much to be proud ofWannabe has much to be proud ofWannabe has much to be proud ofWannabe has much to be proud ofWannabe has much to be proud ofWannabe has much to be proud ofWannabe has much to be proud ofWannabe has much to be proud ofWannabe has much to be proud ofWannabe has much to be proud ofWannabe has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Butch Cassidy
Is that what we're supposed to be celebrating this weekend?
Old Aug 6th 2006, 2:10 pm
Banned

Butch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Wannabe
Is that what we're supposed to be celebrating this weekend?
And I thought EVERYBODY knew Monday was Heritage Day.
Old Aug 6th 2006, 2:35 pm

Souvenir is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Butch Cassidy
They do, but they do it in June (St Jean Baptiste).

Monday isn't a holiday in NF, either.
Old Aug 6th 2006, 4:07 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Biiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond repute

As far as I can tell it's a nameless holiday here in MB. I will be forwarding possible suggestions to the premier later

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.