Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Another 'Which Areas' thread - Merci

Another 'Which Areas' thread - Merci

Old Sep 28th 2011, 4:37 pm
Forum Regular

charlottyb has a reputation beyond reputecharlottyb has a reputation beyond reputecharlottyb has a reputation beyond reputecharlottyb has a reputation beyond reputecharlottyb has a reputation beyond reputecharlottyb has a reputation beyond reputecharlottyb has a reputation beyond reputecharlottyb has a reputation beyond reputecharlottyb has a reputation beyond reputecharlottyb has a reputation beyond reputecharlottyb has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Another 'Which Areas' thread - Merci

On Vancouver Island to have that sort of 'retreat' type business it needs to be easy to reach from Victoria and the ferries.
Its is unlikely that you will find that sort of place for $150,000. Like others have said, look on MLS and you will get an idea of house prices.
Again, the rural/remote areas of the island would not have the amenities that describe and possibly not the outlook on life.
Sorry its not better news.
Up the budget to $600,000 and its possible.
Old Sep 28th 2011, 4:52 pm
Pea Brain

R I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Steve_
Well there's only one real answer to this, if you don't want high housing prices and you want mild winters then you're looking at eastern BC or possibly Vancouver Island. Kamloops, Cranbrook, Victoria etc. The greater Kelowna area, although house prices there aren't exactly low either, but lower than most of Vancouver.
Median house price in Kamloops is approaching $400k. You won't get acreage for that sort of money. The other criteria the OP's looking for would be fulfilled though.
Old Sep 28th 2011, 4:59 pm
Beep

el_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond repute

Well there's only one real answer to this, if you don't want high housing prices and you want mild winters then you're looking at eastern BC or possibly Vancouver Island. Kamloops, Cranbrook, Victoria etc. The greater Kelowna area, although house prices there aren't exactly low either, but lower than most of Vancouver.

But I think the mistake a lot of people make when moving to Canada is being scared of the winter when they've never lived through one. I wouldn't say it's pleasant but the majority of the population of Canada does not live in BC.

The problem with living in eastern BC is the economy there isn't up to much and I think half the population of Vancouver Island lives around the corner from me.

If cold weather frightens you then Canada is probably not where you should be moving to, even in BC they have bad winters once in awhile.
Cranbrook? They said mild weather and "liberal".
Old Sep 28th 2011, 5:12 pm
Binned by Muderators

JonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond repute

If the OP is thinking of opening a spa/health centre then looking at house prices is not going to help much. She will need look for property that has the correct zoning (planning permission). You can't build a business premises on a residential lot.

Her best option will be to buy an existing business with residential accommodation included.

Maybe have a browse here.

http://www.businesssellcanada.com/sa...h-columbia.htm
Old Sep 28th 2011, 7:33 pm
Forum Regular

carolyn_vdv is just really nicecarolyn_vdv is just really nicecarolyn_vdv is just really nicecarolyn_vdv is just really nicecarolyn_vdv is just really nicecarolyn_vdv is just really nicecarolyn_vdv is just really nicecarolyn_vdv is just really nicecarolyn_vdv is just really nice

A friend of mine runs some form of wellness clinic (yoga etc) on one of the Gulf Islands, his partner works in Victoria but I am not sure how popular/profitable the business is or costs. They are able to travel abroad every year so it must make them a living.

Weather requirements aside parts of interior BC may fit the bill with access to mountains etc (Okanagan, Kootenay's etc) and a fair amount of visitors which may be interested in your health centre. In terms of mountains, are you looking for skiable terrain or just walking? I do not think Vancouver island has extensive skiing, at least not that accessible from Victoria, but plenty of hiking in the mountains is available.

As for your health centre, presumably you will have necessary licenses/qualifications to operate something, I am sure if any medical advice etc is offered that the provincial health authorities will have something to say so you should do some research there too.

I love Vancouver Island and the Gulf Islands and I think it will give you what you are looking for in terms of concept, whether you can make it work financially and get the necessary clientele to visit that is a different story. It would be worthwhile coming over for a recce before you make any final decisions.

Good luck
Old Sep 29th 2011, 8:51 am
BE Enthusiast

januarymix has a reputation beyond reputejanuarymix has a reputation beyond reputejanuarymix has a reputation beyond reputejanuarymix has a reputation beyond reputejanuarymix has a reputation beyond reputejanuarymix has a reputation beyond reputejanuarymix has a reputation beyond reputejanuarymix has a reputation beyond reputejanuarymix has a reputation beyond reputejanuarymix has a reputation beyond reputejanuarymix has a reputation beyond repute

But I think the mistake a lot of people make when moving to Canada is being scared of the winter when they've never lived through one. I wouldn't say it's pleasant but the majority of the population of Canada does not live in BC.

The problem with living in eastern BC is the economy there isn't up to much and I think half the population of Vancouver Island lives around the corner from me.

If cold weather frightens you then Canada is probably not where you should be moving to, even in BC they have bad winters once in awhile.
Ta, Steve.

BTW I don't like cold weather and Canada would not naturally be my prime choice. BUT my other half loves mountains and doesn't mind cold weather. We thought of NZ and Canada as compromise places and Canada is preferable, hence the investigation. (And very serious one as we are looking to move over the next year hopefully)

Merci for the additional perspective.

Last edited by januarymix; Sep 29th 2011 at 8:54 am.
Old Sep 29th 2011, 8:54 am
BE Enthusiast

januarymix has a reputation beyond reputejanuarymix has a reputation beyond reputejanuarymix has a reputation beyond reputejanuarymix has a reputation beyond reputejanuarymix has a reputation beyond reputejanuarymix has a reputation beyond reputejanuarymix has a reputation beyond reputejanuarymix has a reputation beyond reputejanuarymix has a reputation beyond reputejanuarymix has a reputation beyond reputejanuarymix has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by carolyn_vdv
A friend of mine runs some form of wellness clinic (yoga etc) on one of the Gulf Islands, his partner works in Victoria but I am not sure how popular/profitable the business is or costs. They are able to travel abroad every year so it must make them a living.

Weather requirements aside parts of interior BC may fit the bill with access to mountains etc (Okanagan, Kootenay's etc) and a fair amount of visitors which may be interested in your health centre. In terms of mountains, are you looking for skiable terrain or just walking? I do not think Vancouver island has extensive skiing, at least not that accessible from Victoria, but plenty of hiking in the mountains is available.

As for your health centre, presumably you will have necessary licenses/qualifications to operate something, I am sure if any medical advice etc is offered that the provincial health authorities will have something to say so you should do some research there too.

I love Vancouver Island and the Gulf Islands and I think it will give you what you are looking for in terms of concept, whether you can make it work financially and get the necessary clientele to visit that is a different story. It would be worthwhile coming over for a recce before you make any final decisions.

Good luck
Thankyou Carolyn !

Yes, we are also assessing visa situation and if/when that firms up we will definitely make a trip. And all this information you guys are providing really really helps me/us (even if it just perspective!!!)

For mountains, well my other half loves hiking, climbing AND skiing but it is really going to be a compromise so hiking and climbing would be already a luxury.

I will definitely research on licensing etc. Thanks again !
Old Sep 29th 2011, 8:54 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by JonboyE
If the OP is thinking of opening a spa/health centre then looking at house prices is not going to help much. She will need look for property that has the correct zoning (planning permission). You can't build a business premises on a residential lot.

Her best option will be to buy an existing business with residential accommodation included.

Maybe have a browse here.

http://www.businesssellcanada.com/sa...h-columbia.htm
Gotcha, Jonboy. Merci again.
Old Sep 29th 2011, 8:56 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by charlottyb
On Vancouver Island to have that sort of 'retreat' type business it needs to be easy to reach from Victoria and the ferries.
Its is unlikely that you will find that sort of place for $150,000. Like others have said, look on MLS and you will get an idea of house prices.
Again, the rural/remote areas of the island would not have the amenities that describe and possibly not the outlook on life.
Sorry its not better news.
Up the budget to $600,000 and its possible.
Okie. Ta. I presume I just look up Vancouver transport connections to find what areas are best to be reachable by ferry etc.

Cheers, charlottyb
Old Sep 29th 2011, 8:57 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by R I C H
Median house price in Kamloops is approaching $400k. You won't get acreage for that sort of money. The other criteria the OP's looking for would be fulfilled though.
nods, thanks, RICH.
Old Sep 29th 2011, 12:20 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by el_richo
Is the vibe I am getting that that is THAT much of an anomaly
Old Sep 29th 2011, 8:35 pm
BE Forum Addict

Lychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond repute

The areas you're seeking exist in Metro Vancouver, Squamish, Whistler, Pemberton, the Sunshine Coast, the Gulf Islands, and southern Vancouver Island.

Unfortunately you're about 25 years too late with the budget you're quoting.

Homes in Metro Vancouver sold for $150,000 in the mid-1980's. Today the same houses are selling for $800,000+. This is the reality of the desirable areas of British Columbia.

Today places in BC with desirable climates, mountains, liberal-minded populations, jobs, and transportation infrastructure come with a hefty price. You simply will not find what you're looking for anywhere in BC unless you raise your budget substantially. $150,000 is unrealistic. $150,000 may buy you an unremarkable 1 bedroom flat in an undesirable satellite city.

If you're adventurous, however, do look into Prince Rupert. I had the fortune of visiting last year and found it a lot more liberal-minded and diverse than I was expecting. It has a terribly rainy climate, but it is mild, there are mountains, and there is a bit of tourism infrastructure. The downside is that it's remote and you'll have to fly 2 hours to get to Vancouver.

I do want to emphasize that BC is one of the most desirable places in Canada due to the scenery, climate, and lifestyle... but it comes at a price. Cheap properties in BC are cheap for a reason.

Another thing worth mentioning is that BC is very much a hinterland - a few small populated centres and a massive hinterland of natural resource industries. The cheaper regions typically rely upon natural resources and are very much blue collar towns that lack the, erm... "sophistication" or open-mindedness that one can find in places like Victoria, Vancouver, the Gulf Islands, and the Sunshine Coast. This is a massive generalization, but if you're seeking a particular niche counterculture lifestyle, you will unlikely find like-minded individuals by surrounding yourself with communities of miners, lumberjacks, and fishermen. It's not as if they will not be friendly, but you may be questioning whether you have anything in common with your community members. Your values may indeed be very different.

Saying that, my sister has friends who have left southwest BC for Northern BC where land is cheap and rugged. Kispiox Valley, Smithers, New Hazelton, etc. If you're ready for self-sufficiency and isolation - hours (12+) away from anything resembling a city, you may be in luck.

Good luck!

Last edited by Lychee; Sep 29th 2011 at 8:42 pm.
Old Sep 30th 2011, 9:11 am
BE Enthusiast

Thanks so much, Lychee. Incredibly helpful, and I'm very grateful.

I'm usually 25 years late by the way Cheers and thanks again.

floatsy.
Old Oct 3rd 2011, 7:49 pm
Forum Regular

castra is just really nicecastra is just really nicecastra is just really nicecastra is just really nicecastra is just really nicecastra is just really nicecastra is just really nicecastra is just really nice

Originally Posted by el_richo
Is the vibe I am getting that that is THAT much of an anomaly?
Yes, very much so. "Cranbrook", "Mild Weather" & "Liberal" are the ultimate oxymoron.
Old Oct 6th 2011, 10:23 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by castra
Yes, very much so. "Cranbrook", "Mild Weather" & "Liberal" are the ultimate oxymoron.
Yeah I'm starting to get the feeling that anything outside of metropolis cities are like the Country Flannigans, white, conservative and

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.