Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Another 'Which Areas' thread - Merci

Another 'Which Areas' thread - Merci

Old Sep 28th 2011, 2:57 pm
BE Enthusiast

januarymix has a reputation beyond reputejanuarymix has a reputation beyond reputejanuarymix has a reputation beyond reputejanuarymix has a reputation beyond reputejanuarymix has a reputation beyond reputejanuarymix has a reputation beyond reputejanuarymix has a reputation beyond reputejanuarymix has a reputation beyond reputejanuarymix has a reputation beyond reputejanuarymix has a reputation beyond reputejanuarymix has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Another 'Which Areas' thread - Merci

Originally Posted by Piff Poff
I think for that sort of budget, you will have to look North or East, then you lose mountains or desired climate and you will certainly be in the middle of nowhere. Have a look at www.Realtor.ca and do a search on there so you can see where your money might take you.
Ta.

North or East does not have mountain areas nearby?
Old Sep 28th 2011, 2:57 pm
BE Enthusiast

januarymix has a reputation beyond reputejanuarymix has a reputation beyond reputejanuarymix has a reputation beyond reputejanuarymix has a reputation beyond reputejanuarymix has a reputation beyond reputejanuarymix has a reputation beyond reputejanuarymix has a reputation beyond reputejanuarymix has a reputation beyond reputejanuarymix has a reputation beyond reputejanuarymix has a reputation beyond reputejanuarymix has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Almost Canadian
Bountiful, BC would appear to fit the bill
Not what the other dudes are saying

Cheers, Almost C!
Old Sep 28th 2011, 3:00 pm
BE Enthusiast

What about VAncouver Island? Is that better for what I am looking for?

Or alternatively, what price do I have to up to etc to be in the market for something decent as described.

(and yes with 'liberal' mindset whatever that means. And thats just to say I live in a cool place where people are tolerant of races, and religions etc and I think its nice, I don't want to be in places that are too rigid although former post seems to indicate maybe Canada rural ain't that type of land??)

f.
Old Sep 28th 2011, 3:04 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by floatsy
I don't think many people would say that the large hills in NS/NB etc are 'mountains'!

Not what the other dudes are saying
I'd Google it before you get too excited.

What about VAncouver Island? Is that better for what I am looking for?

Or alternatively, what price do I have to up to etc to be in the market for something decent as described.
Best thing to do is look at www.mls.ca or the website Piff Poff gave you to give you an idea of what you will get for your money. For BC (which is said to stand for 'bring cash' don't forget) you'll probably need to double your budget, but it would get you something really nice in other areas of Canada if you're prepared to forget the mountains and mild climate part of your requirements?
Old Sep 28th 2011, 3:07 pm

Piff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond repute

Ta.

I don't believe there is much in the way of mountains in the east of Canada (not comparable to the Rockies anyway), I however do not know for sure as I know little about the East, I know even less about Northern Canada, yes there are going to be some hills, depending where in Canada you go. Your wants all lead to BC imo and yes you can probably get within your price range to some extent, but I should imagine it would be in a fairly remote area. We have learned there is a reason why some areas are cheaper than others, you need to be a little more specific in what you are looking for really then you are going to be getting much more detailed and informed replies. I for example like the look of Bella Coola on the internet, it's in a more Northern BC, the climate won't be moderate and I think generators may be needed...
Old Sep 28th 2011, 3:25 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
I don't think many people would say that the large hills in NS/NB etc are 'mountains'!

I'd Google it before you get too excited.

Best thing to do is look at www.mls.ca or the website Piff Poff gave you to give you an idea of what you will get for your money. For BC (which is said to stand for 'bring cash' don't forget) you'll probably need to double your budget, but it would get you something really nice in other areas of Canada if you're prepared to forget the mountains and mild climate part of your requirements?
Thanks Christmasoompa, as always!

You made me remember that karma feature again, you always do

Cheers, will do...

Hmm...have to talk to other half about mountain thingy....loves em but if we can't buy that...
Old Sep 28th 2011, 3:25 pm
Seasoned Maritimer

Tangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond repute

I don't believe there is much in the way of mountains in the east of Canada (not comparable to the Rockies anyway), I however do not know for sure as I know little about the East, I know even less about Northern Canada, yes there are going to be some hills, depending where in Canada you go. Your wants all lead to BC imo and yes you can probably get within your price range to some extent, but I should imagine it would be in a fairly remote area. We have learned there is a reason why some areas are cheaper than others, you need to be a little more specific in what you are looking for really then you are going to be getting much more detailed and informed replies. I for example like the look of Bella Coola on the internet, it's in a more Northern BC, the climate won't be moderate and I think generators may be needed...
No mountains here. But perhaps they were referring to going north or east of Vancouver not necessarily so farrrrrr east in Canada ?
Old Sep 28th 2011, 3:26 pm
Beep

el_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond repute

Needs would be more safety, amenities (mountains, shops, good schools) and fertile acreage/decent milder weather I guess

Anyway by the way this thread is going any suggested nicer areas around town meeting anything would help me do some research.

I have looked on realtor.ca and houses seem available for those prices so I am not sure why you say there aren't any. But as I don't know these areas well perhaps I am looking in the wrong ones HENCE this thread.
Where have you been looking?

I personally can't think of anywhere that fits your bill, although there could well be the smaller, more remote areas on VI that may suit but i'm not sure how they would work with your Health Retreat and the need for amenities.

When you gave your budget, was it in £ or $?
Old Sep 28th 2011, 3:26 pm
BE Enthusiast

OK Piff Poff, I understand that.

Many thanks, I will do some more research over the next week and hopefully can come back with something a bit more solid.

Thanks again for your kind and patient responses.
Old Sep 28th 2011, 3:28 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by el_richo

When you gave your budget, was it in £ or $?
Now I'm inclined to say whatever works

Yes it was on VI at the moment, I havent been to Canada so I guess I wanted a sense/any ideas, which you guys have been giving (with thanks)

I looked up areas like Mill Bay, Nanoose Bay etc

I was hoping people would be willing to travel to a retreat center or something.
Old Sep 28th 2011, 3:28 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Tangram
No mountains here. But perhaps they were referring to going north or east of Vancouver not necessarily so farrrrrr east in Canada ?
Yep hence far..
Old Sep 28th 2011, 3:30 pm
Seasoned Maritimer

Tangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond repute

Yep hence far..
In which case, break out your cheque book for a nice reality wake up call.
Old Sep 28th 2011, 3:31 pm
BE Enthusiast

Just getting info, will adjust or adjust locations as I need to...

The BC point Christmasoompa made was funny but probably true.

Still, I live in hope so grateful for any info regardless. Me harnessing the information helps me adjust my scales a bit.

Thanks everyone, regardless.
Old Sep 28th 2011, 4:00 pm
Beep

el_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond repute

Now I'm inclined to say whatever works

Yes it was on VI at the moment, I havent been to Canada so I guess I wanted a sense/any ideas, which you guys have been giving (with thanks)

I looked up areas like Mill Bay, Nanoose Bay etc

I was hoping people would be willing to travel to a retreat center or something.
Well the budget in £ would work more but would limit your areas and the property type (size, location, condition, etc), even on the island i would imagine. Especially if you're looking for a larger community with amenities. I would also imagine a family in this situation would need two cars.

That said, if you have a nice retreat and offer something unique, marketed correctly i don't see why people from the mainland wouldn't make a trip out to stay. It looks like your budget would need to be upped a decent amount to get to where you want to be though.

I don't personally know of areas on the Island that would fit your bill but maybe those there will.

Try looking at places East of Vancouver such as:

Whonnock
Ruskin
Hope
Merritt
Kamloops perhaps.

Some of the above may not suit the "Liberal" bit though
Old Sep 28th 2011, 4:21 pm
Grumpy Know-it-all

Steve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond repute

Well there's only one real answer to this, if you don't want high housing prices and you want mild winters then you're looking at eastern BC or possibly Vancouver Island. Kamloops, Cranbrook, Victoria etc. The greater Kelowna area, although house prices there aren't exactly low either, but lower than most of Vancouver.

But I think the mistake a lot of people make when moving to Canada is being scared of the winter when they've never lived through one. I wouldn't say it's pleasant but the majority of the population of Canada does not live in BC.

The problem with living in eastern BC is the economy there isn't up to much and I think half the population of Vancouver Island lives around the corner from me.

If cold weather frightens you then Canada is probably not where you should be moving to, even in BC they have bad winters once in awhile.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.