Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Animals brought in prior to PR? Anyone?

Animals brought in prior to PR? Anyone?

Old Sep 5th 2004, 12:02 pm
Premium Member

Tiaribbon is a glorious beacon of lightTiaribbon is a glorious beacon of lightTiaribbon is a glorious beacon of lightTiaribbon is a glorious beacon of lightTiaribbon is a glorious beacon of lightTiaribbon is a glorious beacon of lightTiaribbon is a glorious beacon of lightTiaribbon is a glorious beacon of lightTiaribbon is a glorious beacon of lightTiaribbon is a glorious beacon of lightTiaribbon is a glorious beacon of light
Default Animals brought in prior to PR? Anyone?

Thinking about moving out to Canada within the next few months (visitor) but wouldn't consider it unless I can take my dogs and cat. Has anyone on here brought their dogs or cats to Canada before they have their PR? If so, did you have any problems with getting them in?
Old Sep 5th 2004, 1:28 pm
squarepants

Default Re: Animals brought in prior to PR? Anyone?

Question: Can I bring animals (i.e. a pet), plants (i.e. fruits or vegetables) into Canada?

U.S. residents - Pets
All pets must be accompanied by their owners when entering Canada. Owners of cats and dogs must bring a certificate issued by a licensed American or Canadian veterinarian clearly identifying the pet and certifying that it has been vaccinated against rabies some time during the previous 36 months. Kittens and puppies younger than 3 months are exempt.

Seeing-eye dogs are allowed into Canada without restriction. Canadian law also guarantees that anyone using seeing-eye dogs may bring them into restaurants, hotels and other businesses.

U.S. residents - Food
Fruits and vegetables are either prohibited or require an import permit to bring into Canada. Please contact one of the Canadian Food Inspection Agency Import Service Centre to determine the requirements on pets, agriculture or forestry items:

Eastern ISC (Montreal) 1-877-493-0468
Central ISC (Toronto) 1-800-835-4486
Western ISC (Vancouver) 1-888-732-6222

Travellers from other countries
Please contact your nearest Canadian consulate or embassy to learn what restrictions apply. Contact information for Canadian embassies around the world can be found at: http://www.dfait-maeci.gc.ca/dfait/missions/menu-e.asp

For the UK:

http://www.dfait-maeci.gc.ca/canadae...om/menu-en.asp

Old Sep 5th 2004, 4:18 pm
Premium Member

Tiaribbon is a glorious beacon of lightTiaribbon is a glorious beacon of lightTiaribbon is a glorious beacon of lightTiaribbon is a glorious beacon of lightTiaribbon is a glorious beacon of lightTiaribbon is a glorious beacon of lightTiaribbon is a glorious beacon of lightTiaribbon is a glorious beacon of lightTiaribbon is a glorious beacon of lightTiaribbon is a glorious beacon of lightTiaribbon is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by squarepants
Question: Can I bring animals (i.e. a pet), plants (i.e. fruits or vegetables) into Canada?

I am not asking CAN I! I KNOW I can. I am asking if anyone HAS brought in pets from the UK prior to gaining their PR. My pets are all passported and I am very aware of the DEFRA regulations and the amount of days prior to shipping that I need to have the VET Health check done. I also know that I need to inform the Port of Entry that they will be arriving and as such I need to arrange for Canada to have a vet on duty to sign them in. I know all that.

Perhaps someone has done this and therefore could they please respond to give me insight into any problems they may have encountered. Many thanks.
Old Sep 5th 2004, 4:20 pm
manc born and bred

michele is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Tiaribbon
I am not asking CAN I! I KNOW I can. I am asking if anyone HAS brought in pets from the UK prior to gaining their PR. My pets are all passported and I am very aware of the DEFRA regulations and the amount of days prior to shipping that I need to have the VET Health check done. I also know that I need to inform the Port of Entry that they will be arriving and as such I need to arrange for Canada to have a vet on duty to sign them in. I know all that.

Perhaps someone has done this and therefore could they please respond to give me insight into any problems they may have encountered. Many thanks.
Hi we came over in May this year my hubby is canadian citizen but has livedin England for most of his life, he is sponsoring me inland and we had no problems i hope this helps we brought our dog with us
Old Sep 5th 2004, 9:14 pm
Premium Member

Originally Posted by michele
Hi we came over in May this year my hubby is canadian citizen but has livedin England for most of his life, he is sponsoring me inland and we had no problems i hope this helps we brought our dog with us
Thank you Michele. When you went through Immigration did you mention that you had a dog travelling with you? Or did the doggy-business take place when you went to the baggage hall to collect your dog?
Old Sep 5th 2004, 11:32 pm
Just Joined

Mapboy is an unknown quantity at this point

We brought two dogs with us back in 2000, at the time we just had one-year work visas, no PR. On our experience, PR status (or lack of it) had no bearing at all. After uncrating them in the baggage terminal, the dogs and their paperwork were examined by a vet at the airport, after which they walked out on their leads. Very easy.
Old Sep 6th 2004, 12:46 am
BE Enthusiast

Smokey is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by Tiaribbon
Thank you Michele. When you went through Immigration did you mention that you had a dog travelling with you? Or did the doggy-business take place when you went to the baggage hall to collect your dog?
Just a quickie to let you know that we took ours via Calgary...the moment the (very) young chap found out we were carrying dogs he went into hyperdrive.. it was sooo sweet. Aparantly the distance for animals from the immigration section is quite far so he was trying to get us reunited with them ASAP. On the flight you get given a little card which asks (if I remember rightly) of you're carrying food or animals...you get asked about it a lot
Oh yes, FYI.... two Cocker Spaniels exported by Airpets and met by their rep in Calgary. No travelling problems at all.
Old Sep 6th 2004, 8:25 am
Premium Member

Thank you everyone for your responses, very helpful.

I had just wondered if they would kick up a stink if you were bringing them in with just a visitors visa, but perhaps not.