Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Hockeys over ...

Hockeys over ...

Old Feb 11th 2005, 7:48 am
Deep in the red C.

Iginla has a reputation beyond reputeIginla has a reputation beyond reputeIginla has a reputation beyond reputeIginla has a reputation beyond reputeIginla has a reputation beyond reputeIginla has a reputation beyond reputeIginla has a reputation beyond reputeIginla has a reputation beyond reputeIginla has a reputation beyond reputeIginla has a reputation beyond reputeIginla has a reputation beyond repute
Thumbs down Hockeys over ...

... for this season anway.

and this sums up the CBA well IMO.

D'Arcy McGrath
December 16th, 2004

“Daddy … how come you don't cheer for the Leafs like me and my friends?�

“I just can't bring myself to do it son, you see I've hated those guys since I was your age�.

“Hated the Leafs? How can you hate the Leafs Dad, they're Canada's only NHL team, and they're doing so well for a team that has so little money�.

“True, true, but it wasn't always that way son, in fact when you were fairly new to this Earth there were 30 National Hockey League teams, six of which were in Canada, including a team here in Calgary�.

“A team in Calgary? You're pulling my leg, the closest National Hockey League team to Calgary is in St. Louis!�

“It's true son. When I was ten years old the Atlanta Flames moved to Calgary and took up roots for just over 25 years. Heck they even won the Stanley Cup.�

“They won the Stanley Cup? Wow, what happened?�

“Well … when you were just two years old the league and its player union had a lockout that pretty much changed hockey in Canada and most of the United States forever�.

“What happened?�

“It was coming up on Christmas time in 2004 and the two sides were a long way apart on how to solve their disagreement. Over 400 games were already lost and fans and media were itching for a solution. Then the players union came forward offering to reduce their salaries by almost 25%, essentially wiping out the reported losses by the owners.�

“Wow that was nice of the players, so hockey began again?�

“Yes it did, but looking back I wish it hadn't�

�Why daddy?�

“Well the reduction in salaries was a big deal for that season, hockey was profitable again, but as soon as the very next season it became very clear that the accepted deal wasn't a solid long term solution for the NHL�.

“What happened?�

“Teams that had always had more money than others quickly spent their savings on adding free agents to their already loaded roster, forcing up the average salary for other teams who just couldn't compete. Two years later the financial headaches were back and teams started to fold left and right, including our Calgary Flames�.

“Why did they pay so much for players Daddy? Couldn't the owners just say no and make sure the team stayed in Alberta?�

“They tried son, but the differences in talent between teams became so spread that owners were forced to up the ante in payroll just to get people to come watch their games. Soon many teams were losing money again, but this time, with a five year deal signed with the players there were no buyers for the clubs and they had to fold.�

“They couldn't say no?�

“Wealthy owners didn't want to say no, they wanted to win, the reason they bought a hockey team in the first place. And with no controls in place to hold back league wide salaries they were able to take advantage of the money provided by the player roll back and go on an even greater spending spree�.

“With all the teams folding, where did all the players go Dad?�

“Most were forced out of the game eventually. Some went to Europe for a while, but in the end the union lost somewhere close to half of their members�.

“Did the players know this would happen when they made their offer to reduce their salaries Dad?�

“Hard to say, they didn't admit it if they did at the time. You would think that by offering 24% of their salaries back to the owners they must have been aware of the problem, but chose to keep the high salaries and risk the future of many of the teams in the league�

“That's sad Dad, it would have been nice to watch hockey right here in Calgary, we could have gone together�.

“Nothing would have made me happier son, but I knew deep in my heart that day would never come when the 23 NHL owners agreed to take the one time fix in payroll and not hold on to their aims to finally fix the game�.

“You know what?�

“What's that son?�

“I don't think I'll cheer for the Leafs anymore either, who do you cheer for?�

“I don't�

Funny, but I must be getting Calgarysized but don't think I could ever cheer for the leafs.

or the nukes.

For any potential immigrants that's interested in setting up your own business here's a chance to buy your own hockey league.

Just bid here.

Last edited by Iginla; Feb 11th 2005 at 8:57 am.
Old Feb 11th 2005, 2:44 pm
Happy in Canada.

Grah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Hockeys over ...

That's what happens when you play in a closed box, American sports are nothing but fixed stage shows.

What happens to a crappy team the locals don't come to watch so they move the team to a town that will be grateful to have a team. Even tho they are still crappy people will come to watch, for a couple of seasons at least.
Old Feb 11th 2005, 7:12 pm
Glaswegian

Originally Posted by Grah
That's what happens when you play in a closed box, American sports are nothing but fixed stage shows.
Eh??

Originally Posted by Grah
What happens to a crappy team the locals don't come to watch so they move the team to a town that will be grateful to have a team. Even tho they are still crappy people will come to watch, for a couple of seasons at least.
Well you do live in a sporting waste land with crappy local teams ... try moving somewhere with a decent team of any sort.

Old Feb 11th 2005, 7:18 pm
Deep in the red C.

Iginla has a reputation beyond reputeIginla has a reputation beyond reputeIginla has a reputation beyond reputeIginla has a reputation beyond reputeIginla has a reputation beyond reputeIginla has a reputation beyond reputeIginla has a reputation beyond reputeIginla has a reputation beyond reputeIginla has a reputation beyond reputeIginla has a reputation beyond reputeIginla has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Glaswegian
try moving somewhere with a decent team of any sort.
I suppose that's another reason to choose Calgary over Vancouver!
Old Feb 11th 2005, 7:20 pm
Glaswegian

Originally Posted by Iginla
Unless you like shark sushi

Old Feb 11th 2005, 11:04 pm
Happy in Canada.

Grah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond repute

Eh??
Hockey owners can't agree with each to share the talent. NFL shares MLS shares MBA Shares.

All the stupid drafts worst team picks first etc is a load of bunk em.

Well you do live in a sporting waste land with crappy local teams ... try moving somewhere with a decent team of any sort.

And thankfully not having to pay taxes to support the meaningless teams like the non-oil rich provinces.

What is the worst thing for NHL - two Canadian teams in the stanley cup final.

What's that a bell I here ringing????
Old Feb 12th 2005, 3:54 am
Forum Regular

canucker is a jewel in the roughcanucker is a jewel in the roughcanucker is a jewel in the roughcanucker is a jewel in the rough

I don't know about that... most of the Calgary fans only came out during the playoffs. GM Place was sold out all season. But I'd always choose the Flames over the Leafs...
Old Feb 12th 2005, 6:05 am
Deep in the red C.

I don't know about that.

Here's some stats on previous average attendances.

Apart from the last 3 years (at the end of a 7 year play-off drought) the Flames continually boast higher average attendances than the Canucks even though they were hitting the play-offs regularly.

That's not even taking into consideration the difference in size of the greater Vancouver area and Calgary.

http://www.hockeyresearch.com/mfoste.../nhl_attn.html

The hard evidence is there that the Calgary fans supported their team through the rough times whilst the stats suggest that the Nucks jumped on the bandwagon in the last 3 years.

BTW if we jump on anything here it's a chuckwagon as opposed to a bandwagon!
Old Feb 12th 2005, 3:28 pm
Forum Regular

canucker is a jewel in the roughcanucker is a jewel in the roughcanucker is a jewel in the roughcanucker is a jewel in the rough

I don't know about that.

Here's some stats on previous average attendances.

Apart from the last 3 years (at the end of a 7 year play-off drought) the Flames continually boast higher average attendances than the Canucks even though they were hitting the play-offs regularly.

That's not even taking into consideration the difference in size of the greater Vancouver area and Calgary.

http://www.hockeyresearch.com/mfoste.../nhl_attn.html

The hard evidence is there that the Calgary fans supported their team through the rough times whilst the stats suggest that the Nucks jumped on the bandwagon in the last 3 years.

BTW if we jump on anything here it's a chuckwagon as opposed to a bandwagon!

Touche (with an accent). Did some research myself:

http://sports.espn.go.com/nhl/attendance?year=2004

some of the stats are slightly different than your link but I agree alot of fans here did jump on the bandwagon the past 3 years. But I did notice that during the regular season the Sadledome wasn't quite as full as it was during the playoffs. That is understandable considering the cost of tickets these days. But I have nothing against the Flames. In fact they are my second favourite team and many Canuck fans here cheered for them after they wiped us out.

I do miss hockey this season, but I've rediscovered the WHL and am enjoying that more than expected.
Old Feb 12th 2005, 5:33 pm
Deep in the red C.

Originally Posted by canucker
That is understandable considering the cost of tickets these days.
Yep, but I find them reasonable enough if you consider what you get for say $30 here compared to a footie game at home.

Tamba Bay on the other hand were selling tickets for $10 and giving away free T-shirts so that they could get the stadium filled for the Stanley Cup Finals!

By far the most entertaining (after hurling) live sport to watch. The fact you can do it whilst having a is a bonus.
Old Feb 12th 2005, 5:39 pm
Forum Regular

Tickets in Calgary are only $30!!!! If you want tickets to the nucks, the cheapest are like $60 to $80!!!!!!!!! :scared:
Old Feb 12th 2005, 5:46 pm
Deep in the red C.

$30 for an orange seat. Back of the 2nd tier but still a good view.

$50 for a blue (front of the second tier).

Scroll to the bottom of the page.

Calgary was the cheapest place to watch hockey in 2001/2002

http://www.hockeyarenas.com/fancost/...ageenglish.htm

*edit* $15 or something for the nosebleeds but IMO you're better staying at home and watching the game. Too far away to follow the puck.
Old Feb 12th 2005, 8:12 pm

hot wasabi peas is an unknown quantity at this point

It's worth keeping in mind, during the regular season, much of the seating in the lower bowl (the good seats) is now seating for "corporate partner$" -- that's why you'll see a bunch of brown nosers not really into the game (or even sections of empty seats) instead of the wonderful mania you see in clips from 20 years ago. I haven't gone to an NHL game in years. Juniors is great though!
Old Feb 13th 2005, 1:09 am
Forum Regular

Thats true too, even for GM Place.

And I totally agree, Juniors are great, no big ego's, etc. They are always trying hard to impress. Been watching more hockey this year than usual actually, since the prices for the WHL are reasonable (season ticket holder) and I even go to the Junior B and BCHL games regularily. So I don't miss the NHL quite as much...