British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Canada (https://britishexpats.com/forum/canada-56/)
-   -   Amount of money needed for the move (https://britishexpats.com/forum/canada-56/amount-money-needed-move-922241/)

Bushy2210 Feb 19th 2019 9:49 pm

Amount of money needed for the move

Back again guys...

One last question I promise lol.

Me and my wife have done our finances and with out being out spoken we have roughly 15 thousand to take with us in ready cash and from the calculation on the currency converter that means we have 26 thousand candian in cash, we have a credit card with a very high limit (8k) but reluctant to be using the card.

With out being rude what was the average that people took with them to get set up?. Feel rude asking about people's finances in public but just needed to know thank you.

suzeandmatt Feb 19th 2019 10:21 pm

Re: Amount of money needed for the move

Erm- my husband and I had about £3000 and moved 2 years ago. Haha

Bushy2210 Feb 19th 2019 10:37 pm

Did your u have a job waiting for you for you on arrival?

HGerchikov Feb 19th 2019 10:41 pm

Originally Posted by Bushy2210 (Post 12639822)
Back again guys...

Me and my wife have done our finances and with out being out spoken we have roughly 15 thousand to take with us in ready cash and from the calculation on the currency converter that means we have 26 thousand candian in cash, we have a credit card with a very high limit (8k) but reluctant to be using the card.

With out being rude what was the average that people took with them to get set up?. Feel rude asking about people's finances in public but just needed to know thank you.

Its a bit of a 'how long is a piece of string' question as people have very different ideas of what is essential. Depending on where you move to, your rent is likely to be in the $1500-$2500 pm range, then if you need a car that's another few thousand plus probably another $3k for the insurance for a year. We came in 2004 so cash went further then, our rent was paid for 6 months, we were given a car for 6 months and $10k towards settling in expenses (and we both had good jobs) and it still felt like we hemorrhaged money for the first few years. We had sold our UK house before we came so had a fairly large pot to go at so didn't really think too hard about spending what we needed to. I think the money you have set aside should be enough but be careful with it, at least until you get jobs.

Bushy2210 Feb 19th 2019 10:55 pm

OK brilliant we'll from the minute I land I'll be on the job hunt my wife probably won't as she will need to Settle and get used to it all. Thanks for the advice I've asked this question once already but I thought I'd ask for a 2nd opinion,
​​​​​​
In 2015 I got arrested and in court I got done for public order section 4 which has now come across as spent in April 2017, just after 2015 I joined the army and they waived my conviction due to the fact. It was on public order offence and I've continued my army career.

Do you think this will bar me from entering the country I've seen the offence comes under section 175 in Canada but I'd hate for that to prevent me from starting my life out there.

christmasoompa Feb 20th 2019 6:12 am

For your question about the cost of the move, this thread had some useful figures in - https://britishexpats.com/forum/cana...canada-735341/

I think the amount you’ve got will be fine if it’s it’s just the two of you, hopefully you’ll find a job quite quickly.

Re: your other question, please ask it in the immi section so this thread doesn’t get muddled - the main Canada forum is the place for lifestyle questions, any visa related queries should be asked in the immi section.

Danny B Feb 20th 2019 5:01 pm

If you don't have a job, bring at least 6 months rent & food money. You can always rent a partly furnished place and buy decent furniture when you get on your feet. Just don't blow everything at once on a car, 65" TV etc just in case the job search takes a bit longer.

Bushy2210 Feb 20th 2019 5:27 pm

OK. Am I right in understand you cant get an apparent without a job or at least a valid job offer?

christmasoompa Feb 21st 2019 6:15 am

Originally Posted by Bushy2210 (Post 12640403)
OK. Am I right in understand you cant get an apparent without a job or at least a valid job offer?

Is that meant to say apartment? If so, then no that’s not correct. Plenty of retired people or students rent apartments after all!

Former Lancastrian Feb 21st 2019 1:51 pm

Originally Posted by Bushy2210 (Post 12639862)
OK brilliant we'll from the minute I land I'll be on the job hunt my wife probably won't as she will need to Settle and get used to it all. Thanks for the advice I've asked this question once already but I thought I'd ask for a 2nd opinion,
​​​​​​
In 2015 I got arrested and in court I got done for public order section 4 which has now come across as spent in April 2017, just after 2015 I joined the army and they waived my conviction due to the fact. It was on public order offence and I've continued my army career.

Do you think this will bar me from entering the country I've seen the offence comes under section 175 in Canada but I'd hate for that to prevent me from starting my life out there.

Already answered in a previous thread. If you post the same question in multiple threads then you are likely not to see the answer if you never go back to the thread you asked it in.

cheeky_monkey Feb 21st 2019 2:23 pm

Originally Posted by Bushy2210 (Post 12640403)

when i first came to Canada i rented a house without having a job

Former Lancastrian Feb 21st 2019 2:29 pm

If you have money any landlord will accept it for rent regardless if you have a job or not. Not all landlords are equal. Check out the legal aspects of renting especially if some are asking for 6 months rent upfront. Look at places physically rather than just looking at one on the internet. Is it a scam being offered?

https://www.canada.ca/en/competition...for-error.html

https://www.rentboard.ca/renter/fraud_and_scams.aspx

vinegarboy Feb 21st 2019 6:11 pm

Originally Posted by Bushy2210 (Post 12639822)
Back again guys...

Fyi, I brought $20k Canadian with me when I moved solo to western Canada in early 2014, shortly after my PR was approved. With just those funds ($CAD20k), I was able to buy a small cottage (& the houseblock of land that it's on) outright, as well as to buy a 2nd-hand pickup truck & a camper (i.e., in the truck's tray). And I had enough money left over to tide me through for several months until I was able to get a job. "Leap and the Net Will Appear."

Danny B Feb 21st 2019 10:31 pm

Originally Posted by vinegarboy (Post 12641206)
Fyi, I brought $20k Canadian with me when I moved solo to western Canada in early 2014, shortly after my PR was approved. With just those funds ($CAD20k), I was able to buy a small cottage (& the houseblock of land that it's on) outright, as well as to buy a 2nd-hand pickup truck & a camper (i.e., in the truck's tray). And I had enough money left over to tide me through for several months until I was able to get a job. "Leap and the Net Will Appear."

wow - you done good.
https://cimg7.ibsrv.net/gimg/british...6ba3f97b00.jpg

vinegarboy Feb 21st 2019 11:16 pm

I just looked on Kijiji for cheap places in AB & SK that I could buy outright for under $20k Canadian; there were loads of cheap places listed on Kijiji that were out in the hundreds of small villages all across western Canada. I chose a village that's 2hrs from a Costco & a WalMart, 5hrs from Calgary/Regina/Saskatoon/GreatFalls airports. Living remote/rural is very different to city living, but as with everything there are pros & cons. It's way cheaper living out here, and provided that you're unafraid of tackling mechanical/plumbing/electrical stuff by yourself (but with youtubers' advice to help, hehe), then you can survive. I accrued my residency days as a PR while living in my peaceful 'lifeboat' out on the prairie, and I duly became a full citizen of Canada just before winter.

MillieF Feb 21st 2019 11:56 pm

Originally Posted by vinegarboy (Post 12641409)
I just looked on Kijiji for cheap places in AB & SK that I could buy outright for under $20k Canadian; there were loads of cheap places listed on Kijiji that were out in the hundreds of small villages all across western Canada. I chose a village that's 2hrs from a Costco & a WalMart, 5hrs from Calgary/Regina/Saskatoon/GreatFalls airports. Living remote/rural is very different to city living, but as with everything there are pros & cons. It's way cheaper living out here, and provided that you're unafraid of tackling mechanical/plumbing/electrical stuff by yourself (but with youtubers' advice to help, hehe), then you can survive. I accrued my residency days as a PR while living in my peaceful 'lifeboat' out on the prairie, and I duly became a full citizen of Canada just before winter.

Bloody hell, more power to you! I came home from work today and had to pull into the road, clamber over the snow bank, whilst my son got the snow blower out...and I’m still sane! I would go nuts in rural Canada...but I can see the economic advantages...I could probably have done it, and would in other times:thumbup: I just need people.

My move cost 15,000 euro with the cost of air tickets, furniture removal, cats and dog travel all in. We knew that it was permanent and it was budgeted for. We were a settled family, making a life changing move and bringing all our ‘stuff’ with us. I’ve moved to lots of places with just a few suitcases prior to children however and spent three or four years quite happily. I hope to do the same thing when my son goes to University and doesn’t need me so much.

Very best of luck:thumbup:

vinegarboy Feb 22nd 2019 12:47 am

Thanks Millie, and good luck to you guys as well. I'd forgotten to mention that one advantage of living 'out here' is that one can make ends meet (e.g., property taxes are only $700- (seven hundred) per year; council rates (water/sewer/rubbish/recycling) are only $250- (two hundred & fifty) a quarter) just working part-time, in my case just 3d/wk, thereby leaving time for other pursuits such as writing a book. I also forgot to say that I bought a dog for companionship (plus so that I wouldn't cut-&-run back to Australia in the winters, as I needed my residency days to accrue in order for me to be able to qualify for citizenship here, esp. after Bill C-24 snafu'd me, hehe), and that I have also ended up adopting a stray cat who actually adopted me first, hehe. There are actually loads of stray cats out here. The locals thought that I was nuts spending so much on a stray cat for vet stuff and food/treats, but I guess that my now fellow citizens haven't yet realised how special and lucky black cats are, hehe.

Vulcanoid Feb 25th 2019 4:41 am

You'll probably find what you need to get 'set up' varies majorly depending on things like how 'set up' you want to get, where you're going, and how planned you are.

For example, for my partner and I, the actual move cost about £1000 for the flights to get us & our stuff over to BC. At that point we were staying with his family (ie rent free), so ongoing costs were very, very low. We didn't break the next k for several weeks. If you don't have that luxury, then you'll need to look at things like the cost of housing depending where you're going (eg if you plan on living in Winnipeg you'll probably find it dramatically cheaper to hang out for months while you look for work than if you're in downtown Vancouver). Things like car insurance, moving to BC made it cheaper than it had been in the UK, whereas the numbers in Ontario look eye-watering. So it all depends.

By the looks of your posting history, this is all academic at this point? Because if you don't have the points to get drawn, then you have no idea what your living situation might be if you ever get to move to Canada. If you can get supported for a work permit somewhere by a job application, that would dictate where you would have to go (and therefore the local cost of living). If you had the points to move by yourself, you'd have the (continent-sized) country to choose from, and could make a realistic assessment about costs and jobs in different places.

J-A-UK Mar 4th 2019 5:47 pm

Lots of different subject matters appearing here

Perhaps remember that what ever cash you have is all you have - Some would say $100,000 is not enough others would say $1000 is plenty

Declare anything close to or over $10,000 - No penalties, but you must declare it and be able to demonstrate it's your own legitimate money