American Express traveller's cheques in Montreal

Wikiposts

American Express traveller's cheques in Montreal

Old Mar 14th 2012, 11:29 pm
Just Joined

wonderwhatif is an unknown quantity at this point
Default American Express traveller's cheques in Montreal

Hi,

I'm moving to Montreal for the second time on Monday and had more money than last time I went. Was advised that the safest way to travel was with traveller's cheques, but am worried about finding someplace to cash them that won't charge me up the wazoo.

Any ideas/former experiences?

Thanks,

Lorna
Old Mar 15th 2012, 12:02 am
BE Enthusiast

wolstie is a glorious beacon of lightwolstie is a glorious beacon of lightwolstie is a glorious beacon of lightwolstie is a glorious beacon of lightwolstie is a glorious beacon of lightwolstie is a glorious beacon of lightwolstie is a glorious beacon of lightwolstie is a glorious beacon of lightwolstie is a glorious beacon of lightwolstie is a glorious beacon of lightwolstie is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: American Express traveller's cheques in Montreal

Originally Posted by wonderwhatif
Hi,

I'm moving to Montreal for the second time on Monday and had more money than last time I went. Was advised that the safest way to travel was with traveller's cheques, but am worried about finding someplace to cash them that won't charge me up the wazoo.

Any ideas/former experiences?

Thanks,

Lorna
When I was on holiday in Montreal a few years back, TD exchanged them for free.

Any bank you open an account with when you get there should exchange them for free too.
Old Mar 15th 2012, 12:27 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by wolstie
When I was on holiday in Montreal a few years back, TD exchanged them for free.

Any bank you open an account with when you get there should exchange them for free too.
Thanks! That's great to know Just thought I'd check here and see if anybody knew since on top of the immigration stuff I didn't want a nasty surprise when I arrived.
Old Mar 15th 2012, 2:09 am
BE Enthusiast

wolstie is a glorious beacon of lightwolstie is a glorious beacon of lightwolstie is a glorious beacon of lightwolstie is a glorious beacon of lightwolstie is a glorious beacon of lightwolstie is a glorious beacon of lightwolstie is a glorious beacon of lightwolstie is a glorious beacon of lightwolstie is a glorious beacon of lightwolstie is a glorious beacon of lightwolstie is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by wonderwhatif
Thanks! That's great to know Just thought I'd check here and see if anybody knew since on top of the immigration stuff I didn't want a nasty surprise when I arrived.
Just make sure that if you are bringing more than $10k worth, you declare it on entry.
Old Mar 15th 2012, 2:20 am

Piff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond repute

You could always try a prepaid credit card - that's what my Step son was advised to use when he came last year.
Old Mar 15th 2012, 4:44 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by wolstie
Just make sure that if you are bringing more than $10k worth, you declare it on entry.
If only! It'd be great if I had to worry about that :P
Old Mar 15th 2012, 4:44 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Piff Poff
You could always try a prepaid credit card - that's what my Step son was advised to use when he came last year.
Unfortunately I'm planning to save most of my money, so need the ability to put it in a bank.
Old Mar 15th 2012, 5:17 am
Bon Vivant

Simon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond repute

A Bankers' Draft, in either sterling or dollars, preferably dollars, would do it. I'd venture to say it would be cheaper than buying Travelers' Cheques which I haven't heard of anyone using in years. You can also get cash with an ATM card for day to day stuff. The draft would be easy to deposit into your account.
Old Mar 15th 2012, 6:32 am
PMM
Lost in BE Cyberspace

PMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond repute

Hi

Originally Posted by Simon Legree
A Bankers' Draft, in either sterling or dollars, preferably dollars, would do it. I'd venture to say it would be cheaper than buying Travelers' Cheques which I haven't heard of anyone using in years. You can also get cash with an ATM card for day to day stuff. The draft would be easy to deposit into your account.

Except that banks usually put a hold on the funds from an international Banker's draft until it clears.
Old Mar 15th 2012, 6:49 am
Bon Vivant

Simon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by PMM
Hi

Except that banks usually put a hold on the funds from an international Banker's draft until it clears.
Indeed they just might which is why you should have enough ready cash, or access to some via ATM, to carry you through that period.
Old Mar 15th 2012, 10:04 am
BE Enthusiast

Ramsey is just really niceRamsey is just really niceRamsey is just really niceRamsey is just really niceRamsey is just really niceRamsey is just really niceRamsey is just really niceRamsey is just really niceRamsey is just really nice

Make sure you get CA$ Amex Cheques if you do do that route..... May seem obvious, but sterling or USD will see an fx charge at this end too....