British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Canada (https://britishexpats.com/forum/canada-56/)
-   -   American Express Transferable to Canada? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/canada-56/american-express-transferable-canada-378315/)

Tiggy Jun 8th 2006 9:24 pm

American Express Transferable to Canada?

Anyone tried to transfer a UK Amex card to a Canadian one, and if so did you keep your credit limit etc?

We opened an Amex account over 12-months ago with the idea of doing this, but the UK customer help line have only suggested that we call the American office and make the enquiry there, - holding on line while paying international call rates :mad:

Butch Cassidy Jun 8th 2006 9:29 pm

Re: American Express Transferable to Canada?

Originally Posted by Tiggy
Anyone tried to transfer a UK Amex card to a Canadian one, and if so did you keep your credit limit etc?

We opened an Amex account over 12-months ago with the idea of doing this, but the UK customer help line have only suggested that we call the American office and make the enquiry there, - holding on line while paying international call rates :mad:

Phoning the us office would be a waste of time (and money).
Wait till you get over here, phone the toronto office. They check with UK, if they like the way you've conducted your account they'll give you a card AND you can keep the UK one. (At least thats what happened to us)

HTH

Tiggy Jun 8th 2006 9:32 pm

Originally Posted by Butch Cassidy
Phoning the us office would be a waste of time (and money).
Wait till you get over here, phone the toronto office. They check with UK, if they like the way you've conducted your account they'll give you a card AND you can keep the UK one. (At least thats what happened to us)

HTH

Thanks Butch, Info gratefully received!!

mjanovitz Jun 9th 2006 12:26 am

Same here, just phoned Amex when we got here, told them I had no job but had a UK Amex card for years and they gave me a Canadian Card without a problem. Credit limit is lower than in the UK but it's more than enough to use it and build up a credit rating here.

Mark

grumpy Jun 9th 2006 3:10 am

Couldn't transfer our UK credit cards, so had to apply at the bank in Canada. They've allowed us cards but hold $2000 in an interest bearing account for 3 years as security bond. Over 15 years of excellent credit rating in UK counted for nothing - they don't check it. Good Luck :D

Mans Jun 9th 2006 8:38 am

Just changed my Amex chargecard 2/3 weeks ago.

No problem at all......looked at my history with them and accepted me on the phone. New card received approx 10days after.

With the charge card there is no credit limit but they look at your previous spending habits :scared:

If you phone the number on the back of the card they will put you to the right dept (i beleive an Indian call centre).

If you have membership points they too can be transferred (they use the curent rate of exchange to transfer points over)

Rgds
Mans

Gray C Jun 9th 2006 11:39 am

Originally Posted by Mans
Just changed my Amex chargecard 2/3 weeks ago.

No problem at all......looked at my history with them and accepted me on the phone. New card received approx 10days after.

With the charge card there is no credit limit but they look at your previous spending habits :scared:

If you phone the number on the back of the card they will put you to the right dept (i beleive an Indian call centre).

If you have membership points they too can be transferred (they use the curent rate of exchange to transfer points over)

Rgds
Mans

On the basis of the previous comments I have just applied for an Amex platinum card, which we will use to build up some credit history before we move to Canada. Not sure my other visa and master cards will do that for us.

Mans Jun 9th 2006 2:10 pm

Originally Posted by Gray C
On the basis of the previous comments I have just applied for an Amex platinum card, which we will use to build up some credit history before we move to Canada. Not sure my other visa and master cards will do that for us.

Good Luck....but note I had the charge card (not the credit card)...not sure which one you have and whether it applies to both.

In any event....to build up your credit history.....happy spending :beer:

Gray C Jun 9th 2006 3:20 pm

Originally Posted by Mans
Good Luck....but note I had the charge card (not the credit card)...not sure which one you have and whether it applies to both.

In any event....to build up your credit history.....happy spending :beer:

I think that I applied for the credit card rather than a debit card. If anyone knows if this is still good for building up credit that may be recognised in Canada, when we eventually get there, I would be pleased to hear confirmation.

little-beauty Jun 9th 2006 4:01 pm

It's not a debit card, but a chargecard (a card that you have a limitless spending capability on, but one must clear the balance each month).

Amex allows you to transfer both credit card and charge card history. When you look on any Amex Canada applications, it always asks you for your current Amex number, if you have one.

I have transferred my Amex charge and credit card, no dramas.

Set it up soon and give it a good old hammering.

Little-B.

Originally Posted by Gray C
I think that I applied for the credit card rather than a debit card. If anyone knows if this is still good for building up credit that may be recognised in Canada, when we eventually get there, I would be pleased to hear confirmation.

iaink Jun 9th 2006 4:15 pm

Originally Posted by grumpy
Couldn't transfer our UK credit cards, so had to apply at the bank in Canada. They've allowed us cards but hold $2000 in an interest bearing account for 3 years as security bond. Over 15 years of excellent credit rating in UK counted for nothing - they don't check it. Good Luck :D

Amex is the exception to this rule. Could you not leverage a UK Amex card into a Canadian one?

dbd33 Jun 9th 2006 4:54 pm

You know, so long as you use a currency broker to convert money, there's no real problem in continuing to use your UK cards. I haven't applied for a Canadian Visa or Mastercard yet.

iaink Jun 9th 2006 4:59 pm

Originally Posted by dbd33
You know, so long as you use a currency broker to convert money, there's no real problem in continuing to use your UK cards. I haven't applied for a Canadian Visa or Mastercard yet.

Doesnt help your credit rating though if you want major canadian credit for something else, and if the Ex rate ever makes it back up to the mid $2buck level again you might regret it if all your income is by then $cdn

Do they have a canadian address for you? If not how does that work for getting replacement cards?

dbd33 Jun 9th 2006 5:04 pm

Originally Posted by iaink
Doesnt help your credit rating though if you want major canadian credit for something else, and if the Ex rate ever makes it back up to the mid $2buck level again you might regret it if all your income is by then $CDN

This exchange rate isn't really an issue if you pay off the balance monthly, your exposure is very short term and you're as likely to win as lose over 15 days or so. Credit rating might be more of a problem.

dbd33 Jun 9th 2006 5:06 pm

Originally Posted by iaink
Do they have a canadian address for you? If not how does that work for getting replacement cards?

Yes, to Canadian address. They send new cards every few years just as if I was in the UK.