Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

American Express card (Amex)

Wikiposts

American Express card (Amex)

Old Apr 8th 2007, 5:50 am
50 and wanting to go back

jimbloby7 has a brilliant futurejimbloby7 has a brilliant futurejimbloby7 has a brilliant futurejimbloby7 has a brilliant futurejimbloby7 has a brilliant futurejimbloby7 has a brilliant future
Post American Express card (Amex)

I read a thread or two that informed me that American express was the only card that you could transfer. Does that mean its the only one you can transfer the credit history and use it, not just with American Express but other credit companies?
Old Apr 8th 2007, 6:17 am
BE Forum Addict

burton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: American Express card (Amex)

Originally Posted by jimbloby7
I read a thread or two that informed me that American express was the only card that you could transfer. Does that mean its the only one you can transfer the credit history and use it, not just with American Express but other credit companies?
Hi Jim

Think from what I have read - if you have a UK AMEX card and ring the company they transfer your card to Canada for you. I have also seen somewhere that Capital One has a Canadian side to their business but don't know if anyone has transferred one of those.

HSBC - maybe they can do something for you as I know they have HSBC's in Canada. Maybe if you opened a UK account and they would transfer it over for you.

Gaynor
x
Old Apr 8th 2007, 6:24 am

moondevil will become famous soon enoughmoondevil will become famous soon enough

no hsbc wont do that, you have to open one in person when you are in canada :curse:
tried that one, very unhelpful indeed!!!!
most canadian banks though have branches in london, maybe worth a try going to them..

contacted american express and they said yes they can do it as we hold a card, but decided against this as they have high rates and other cards are cheaper...
i thought our hsbc would be helpful, but sadly not

gill
Old Apr 8th 2007, 6:57 am
Forum Regular

fatdoc is a jewel in the roughfatdoc is a jewel in the roughfatdoc is a jewel in the roughfatdoc is a jewel in the roughfatdoc is a jewel in the rough

all banks i tried in canada say that they dont have access to US credit history...and they recommend getting a secured card instead.
Old Apr 8th 2007, 8:25 pm
BE Forum Addict

mkmurrays has a reputation beyond reputemkmurrays has a reputation beyond reputemkmurrays has a reputation beyond reputemkmurrays has a reputation beyond reputemkmurrays has a reputation beyond reputemkmurrays has a reputation beyond reputemkmurrays has a reputation beyond reputemkmurrays has a reputation beyond reputemkmurrays has a reputation beyond reputemkmurrays has a reputation beyond reputemkmurrays has a reputation beyond repute

Hi
We've had slightly different experience of HSBC. We transferred our UK funds to a new UK HSBC account in UK about six weeks ago. They've opened us a Canadian current account, savings account and given us a credit card with a $10k limit. We have telephone and internet banking set up already. All from the UK.
Old Apr 8th 2007, 9:09 pm
Suzy Q

Suzyanne has much to be proud ofSuzyanne has much to be proud ofSuzyanne has much to be proud ofSuzyanne has much to be proud ofSuzyanne has much to be proud ofSuzyanne has much to be proud ofSuzyanne has much to be proud ofSuzyanne has much to be proud ofSuzyanne has much to be proud ofSuzyanne has much to be proud ofSuzyanne has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by gill_andy_grew
no hsbc wont do that, you have to open one in person when you are in canada :curse:
tried that one, very unhelpful indeed!!!!
most canadian banks though have branches in london, maybe worth a try going to them..

contacted american express and they said yes they can do it as we hold a card, but decided against this as they have high rates and other cards are cheaper...
i thought our hsbc would be helpful, but sadly not

gill
We too are HSBC customers in UK and we have opened a Canadian account from the UK through them, including credit cards, savings account, line of credit, telephone & internet banking already. Found them to be really helpful and whole process was really smooth. Wish they were processing my SW application!
Old Apr 8th 2007, 9:41 pm
Forum Regular

lawson44 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by mkmurrays
Hi
We've had slightly different experience of HSBC. We transferred our UK funds to a new UK HSBC account in UK about six weeks ago. They've opened us a Canadian current account, savings account and given us a credit card with a $10k limit. We have telephone and internet banking set up already. All from the UK.
Was this a premier account or just a normal one.
Old Apr 8th 2007, 9:43 pm
BE Forum Addict

mkmurrays has a reputation beyond reputemkmurrays has a reputation beyond reputemkmurrays has a reputation beyond reputemkmurrays has a reputation beyond reputemkmurrays has a reputation beyond reputemkmurrays has a reputation beyond reputemkmurrays has a reputation beyond reputemkmurrays has a reputation beyond reputemkmurrays has a reputation beyond reputemkmurrays has a reputation beyond reputemkmurrays has a reputation beyond repute

Premier account - we invested the proceeds of the sale of our house mainly.
Old Apr 8th 2007, 10:56 pm
Forum Regular

lawson44 is an unknown quantity at this point

Can you do this through a standard account or do it have to be a premier one.