Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Am I over-judging Canada?

Am I over-judging Canada?

Old Feb 6th 2018, 8:52 am
Just Joined

OtherDave has a reputation beyond reputeOtherDave has a reputation beyond reputeOtherDave has a reputation beyond reputeOtherDave has a reputation beyond reputeOtherDave has a reputation beyond reputeOtherDave has a reputation beyond reputeOtherDave has a reputation beyond reputeOtherDave has a reputation beyond reputeOtherDave has a reputation beyond reputeOtherDave has a reputation beyond reputeOtherDave has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Am I over-judging Canada?

Originally Posted by Former Lancastrian
we tend to interject a bit of sarcasm
No, really? Perhaps next time you have a few minutes off from wishing you were from Yorkshire you could explain some of that "sarcasm" in a way my feeble Southern brain will understand?

I get the sense from the various Brits in Canada groups I've found online that the earnestness of Canadians and their lack of familiarity with staples of British humour like sarcasm and irony is pretty draining after a while. I'm definitely going to struggle with that - I'm not even sure I know how to say "hello" without being sarcastic.
Old Feb 6th 2018, 9:07 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by OtherDave
No, really? Perhaps next time you have a few minutes off from wishing you were from Yorkshire you could explain some of that "sarcasm" in a way my feeble Southern brain will understand?

I get the sense from the various Brits in Canada groups I've found online that the earnestness of Canadians and their lack of familiarity with staples of British humour like sarcasm and irony is pretty draining after a while. I'm definitely going to struggle with that - I'm not even sure I know how to say "hello" without being sarcastic.
You were born in Canada so how can you have a feeble brain? Please don't tell me that because you have been living in England you now consider yourself a Southerner. Thats almost as bad as the ones you see out on St Patricks day dressed in green and saying they are Irish. When asked where in Ireland they hail from its the usual well my 3rd cousin or something was born there therefore Im Irish. Yeah right of course you are. As a proper Irish bartender once told me if you were not born in Ireland then you are not Irish in the true sense.

So now knowing that you were born in Canada you should have no problem adjusting from coming from Brighton to Montreal as say opposed to someone who was born in Brighton and has never been further north than the M25.
Old Feb 6th 2018, 10:12 am
Just Joined

OtherDave has a reputation beyond reputeOtherDave has a reputation beyond reputeOtherDave has a reputation beyond reputeOtherDave has a reputation beyond reputeOtherDave has a reputation beyond reputeOtherDave has a reputation beyond reputeOtherDave has a reputation beyond reputeOtherDave has a reputation beyond reputeOtherDave has a reputation beyond reputeOtherDave has a reputation beyond reputeOtherDave has a reputation beyond repute

You were born in Canada so how can you have a feeble brain?
I was born in Bristol, so although I'm a citizen since birth (mum was born in Ontario), I wasn't born in Canada. My parents moved to Canada when I was a ... what's the Northern translation ... a "wee t'nipper"? But after a couple of years in Montreal they moved back again. They loved it, but my dad was offered a great job in Brighton, where he grew up. So that makes me pretty much a hodge-podge of things, but mostly Southern I reckon.

Thats almost as bad as the ones you see out on St Patricks day dressed in green and saying they are Irish.
I see mostly Scots doing that down here. Born in the UK to parents born in the UK, but because their great uncle's dog once saw a picture of a haggis they think they're Celtic and bust out a kilt at every opportunity.

never been further north than the M25.
Even that far north makes me uncomfortable. Scary accents and too many "t" sounds.
Old Feb 6th 2018, 10:32 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by OtherDave
I was born in Bristol, so although I'm a citizen since birth (mum was born in Ontario), I wasn't born in Canada. My parents moved to Canada when I was a ... what's the Northern translation ... a "wee t'nipper"? knee high to a grasshopper could be usedBut after a couple of years in Montreal they moved back again. They loved it, but my dad was offered a great job in Brighton, where he grew up. So that makes me pretty much a hodge-podge of things, but mostly Southern well almost FrenchI reckon.

I see mostly Scots doing that down here. Born in the UK to parents born in the UK, but because their great uncle's dog once saw a picture of a haggis they think they're Celtic and bust out a kilt at every opportunity.

Even that far north makes me uncomfortable. Scary accents and too many "t" sounds.and stronger beer and mushy peas
FIFY
Old Feb 6th 2018, 12:35 pm
Just Joined

well almost French
Coq au vin, Rodney.
Old Feb 6th 2018, 8:41 pm
BE Forum Addict

scilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond repute

"wee t'nipper"
well, I'm from Lancashire, and I don't think I ever heard that phrase!

and I certainly don't add "t" where unwanted.

"t" is actually short of 'the", not an addition

but seriously, don't you think this discussion has gone way off topic????

and as the OP doesn't seem to have returned for many weeks, maybe she is no longer interested, especially as most posts have contradicted her rather than supported her in her rather erroneous conclusions after a mere 2 months