Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Am I over-judging Canada?

Am I over-judging Canada?

Old Jan 24th 2018, 1:40 am
Dive Bar Drunk

JamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Am I over-judging Canada?

Originally Posted by LeesaRouz

I guess the reason I am writing this is I am hoping someone will tell me that there is a light at the end of the tunnel. I'm very homesick and need a silver lining to hold onto.
A month simply isn't enough. Moving to another country is always tough at the beginning.

Your observations are fair. Canada (and Toronto even more so) is expensive and you've arrived at a time when rents have gone up 10% a year for the last 3 or 4 years:

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/real...ticle37692158/

My advice is find a decent house share of the subway line and go from there. Give yourself extra disposable income for hobbies and social so you can meet people and settle.

If you still feel the same way in 9 months you've given it a shot and it's time to go home. Manchester will still be kicking arse!
Old Jan 24th 2018, 1:54 am
Tea Drinker

Danny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Hurlabrick
HEAVEN is where:
The police are British
The chefs Italian
The mechanics are German
The lovers are French
and it's all organised by the Swiss

HELL is where:
The police are German
The chefs are British
The mechanics are French
The lovers are Swiss
and it's all organised by the Italians!!

There is no country in the world where you can 'pick and mix', I am sure they all have pro's and con's and Canada aint no different. Love it or loathe it (I love it!).

That is hilarious!
Old Jan 24th 2018, 2:15 am
BE Forum Addict

Partially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond repute

Oh I can moan! My Rogers box has failed for the second time in as many months, Not loving salt and muck all over the car, Walking to the pub in -20c was fun etc.!!
Which small town outside of Ottawa are you in ? Carp? Almonte? those are small towns outside of Ottawa that come to mind with pubs worth walking to.
Old Jan 24th 2018, 7:54 am
BE Enthusiast

Shakyuk has a reputation beyond reputeShakyuk has a reputation beyond reputeShakyuk has a reputation beyond reputeShakyuk has a reputation beyond reputeShakyuk has a reputation beyond reputeShakyuk has a reputation beyond reputeShakyuk has a reputation beyond reputeShakyuk has a reputation beyond reputeShakyuk has a reputation beyond reputeShakyuk has a reputation beyond reputeShakyuk has a reputation beyond repute

HEAVEN is where:
The police are British
The chefs Italian
The mechanics are German
The lovers are French
and it's all organised by the Swiss

HELL is where:
The police are German
The chefs are British
The mechanics are French
The lovers are Swiss
and it's all organised by the Italians!!

There is no country in the world where you can 'pick and mix', I am sure they all have pro's and con's and Canada aint no different. Love it or loathe it (I love it!).
I love this!
Old Jan 24th 2018, 11:01 am
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Snowy560
I just read the first 15 posts of this thread: the comparison is a real downer and it's so liberating when you realize you've finally stopped doing it.

It's the acceptance stage of the culture shock process I think (stopping comparing).
I've been thinking about this a bit more. It was, perhaps, a bit different for me in that when I moved to Canada for the first 9 months I was living with my wife at her parents' apartment.

Initially, the only 'authorities' I was having anything to do with were those to do with getting married, HMRC, CIC and house hunting.

Only later were CRA, Provincial government, municipal government, banking added.

So it was all a gradual process rather than one of cultural shock.

I do go along with that idea of not fretting about things you can't change, so I agree in that respect it's quite liberating when you don't make the comparisons.

But that doesn't mean I'm still not appalled at some of the systems/methods/practices in place.
Old Jan 24th 2018, 11:27 am
Just Joined

LeesaRouz is an unknown quantity at this point

Thank you all for your responses and encouraging words. I realise being here for a month isn't enough to make a fair judgement, especially when comparing it with Manchester instead of for example London. Some of you have spoken of going out of their way to use vouchers to save money in order to stay in Canada. For those of you that did decide to stay in Canada, what are your objective reasons for being here? Please do let me know if you're outside of Toronto as well.
Old Jan 24th 2018, 12:09 pm
BE Forum Addict

Hurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Partially discharged
Which small town outside of Ottawa are you in ? Carp? Almonte? those are small towns outside of Ottawa that come to mind with pubs worth walking to.
Manotick. And yes, easy walking distance of The Mill Tavern.
Old Jan 24th 2018, 12:30 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

For those of you that did decide to stay in Canada, what are your objective reasons for being here? Please do let me know if you're outside of Toronto as well.
Inertia. My children grew up in Toronto and moved on to places with a higher cost of living (Vancouver, London, Switzerland) but what they perceived to be intangible benefits. Essentially we may say that they moved for the scenery.
Old Jan 24th 2018, 12:36 pm
Slightly Canadian

Atlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond repute

Thank you all for your responses and encouraging words. I realise being here for a month isn't enough to make a fair judgement, especially when comparing it with Manchester instead of for example London. Some of you have spoken of going out of their way to use vouchers to save money in order to stay in Canada. For those of you that did decide to stay in Canada, what are your objective reasons for being here? Please do let me know if you're outside of Toronto as well.
It's largely about money & quality of life isn't it? If you are earning that salary that has been discussed then life in a big and expensive city isn't going to be terribly brilliant is it? Only you can compare it with your lot back home of course.

I came to Canada because my wife is Canadian & stayed for much the same reason - although 6 years in we came close to moving back to the UK. There was a point, ohhh 4 years in when I had a job I hated, felt that I was being substantially underpaid & trapped in a place that is expensive & in which you need disposable income to either enjoy yourself or leave. Life worked out for me with a better job & decent salary & my Mrs in a similar position. I'm in a fairly unique position of knowing exactly what I could make doing my job in London & exactly what my Mrs would make. We'd be doing OK but quality of life - or at least the things we've come to value around space & access to the outdoors as well as having no appreciable commute - would be much worse.
Old Jan 24th 2018, 3:10 pm
BE Forum Addict

HGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond repute

When we came we lived in Oakville and worked in Toronto. It wasn't a planned move for us. OH was offered a company transfer to Toronto, all expenses paid and because I also worked for the same industry they offered me a job too, on my terms (ie 3 days a week, and flexible). Kids were still young and it was a 3 year work permit, so we came for the adventure. I think having that attitude stopped me comparing to the UK (also Manchester area btw) because the differences, even the annoying ones were part of the adventure. By the time the work permit expired, our boys considered themselves Canadian, and it had become our home so we stayed.

I found that having to make a new life for ourselves allowed us to do things that we wouldn't have done in England (not that we couldn't have, but with a different mindset and other obligations we wouldn't). For example our youngest played hockey at a high level, it meant a huge financial and time commitment, we could do that because we didn't have other commitments, and it helped us meet a lot of people and develop a social life.

Now, still in the spirit of adventure, and with boys at University, we sold our house in Oakville and bought a small farm about an hour and a half from Toronto. We most definitely would not have bought a farm in the UK. However, while trying to open the iced up duck house this morning with 8 hungry and very vocal ducks inside, I did start to question my decision!
Old Jan 24th 2018, 3:16 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Almost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by HGerchikov
Now, still in the spirit of adventure, and with boys at University, we sold our house in Oakville and bought a small farm about an hour and a half from Toronto. We most definitely would not have bought a farm in the UK. However, while trying to open the iced up duck house this morning with 8 hungry and very vocal ducks inside, I did start to question my decision!
We have a similar thought process every time we need trades at our place. In the city, trades would happily spend 50 minutes travelling to come to our place in the city. We are now 20 minutes south of the city travelling on a highway that is almost free flowing. When asking trades to come to our place it is like we are asking them to travel to the end of the earth, as a result of which, we are now able to do things we would never have thought of attempting ourselves when we lived in the city.
Old Jan 24th 2018, 4:49 pm
BE Forum Addict

Paul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JamesM
A month simply isn't enough. Moving to another country is always tough at the beginning.

Your observations are fair. Canada (and Toronto even more so) is expensive and you've arrived at a time when rents have gone up 10% a year for the last 3 or 4 years:

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/real...ticle37692158/

My advice is find a decent house share of the subway line and go from there. Give yourself extra disposable income for hobbies and social so you can meet people and settle.

If you still feel the same way in 9 months you've given it a shot and it's time to go home. Manchester will still be kicking arse!

I think thats great advice James, personally I think you have to give it at least a year.
Old Jan 24th 2018, 5:09 pm

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute

Month is like a long vacation. Many will take 3+years to settle in. Twenty+years later, could not imagine living anywhere else. Like many, life had its ups and downs. Likely better off than we would be in the UK, although we stopped comparing 20 years ago. It is what it is.
Old Jan 24th 2018, 5:14 pm
BE Forum Addict

Paul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by HGerchikov
When we came we lived in Oakville and worked in Toronto. It wasn't a planned move for us. OH was offered a company transfer to Toronto, all expenses paid and because I also worked for the same industry they offered me a job too, on my terms (ie 3 days a week, and flexible). Kids were still young and it was a 3 year work permit, so we came for the adventure. I think having that attitude stopped me comparing to the UK (also Manchester area btw) because the differences, even the annoying ones were part of the adventure. By the time the work permit expired, our boys considered themselves Canadian, and it had become our home so we stayed.

I found that having to make a new life for ourselves allowed us to do things that we wouldn't have done in England (not that we couldn't have, but with a different mindset and other obligations we wouldn't). For example our youngest played hockey at a high level, it meant a huge financial and time commitment, we could do that because we didn't have other commitments, and it helped us meet a lot of people and develop a social life.

Great explanation of how someone has made the most of what is different about Canada, as a result you find yourself doing different things and taking on different challenges you would never have contemplated in the UK. And thats coming from me.... a person who doesn't like stepping out side their comfort zone...

Ever since I have lived in Canada, I have done nothing but step outside my comfort zone, by taking on different challenges, and I have been rewarded for doing so... I have learnt so much about Canadian life, and now enjoy it, I I think it helped that I didn't live in a big city, cities are cities really, it doesnt give you a true taste of Canada, I used to think that was a disadvantage....but as I have got a little older I have recently come to realise that it was actually an advantage for the kind of lifestyle I want.
It can take some time and sometimes certain life events need to happen before you realise what you want from life.

That said, after visiting Canada on vacation a few times I knew its where I wanted to live, so my only challenge was accepting the very different lifestyle from the UK once I had moved here, you cant help comparing, its natural to do so, but that will only hold you back, and you will never settle in, I found it easier to focus on things that I could only do in Canada and not in the UK, it was the only way for me, I think it worked.
Old Jan 24th 2018, 7:24 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

^^ Paul, could you possibly edit your "location". It really >snip< up your posts and makes them difficult to read, although I've no idea why I want to, except we did meet once at the Yard.

Last edited by Siouxie; Jan 24th 2018 at 7:38 pm. Reason: Asterisks don't hide the word :)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.