Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Am I over-judging Canada?

Am I over-judging Canada?

Old Jan 23rd 2018, 10:53 pm
Tea Drinker

Danny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Am I over-judging Canada?

Originally Posted by Talya88
Please can someone expand on the ways in which Canada is behind the UK?
Single event sports betting is one example. Why are Canadians not allowed to place a bet on a single sports event, Boxing for example? Why do they force us to use sites hosted outside of Canada?
Old Jan 23rd 2018, 10:54 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=scilly;12426020]
Please can someone expand on the ways in which Canada is behind the UK?[/QUOTE]

I think I've been here far too long (over 50 years since I left the UK) .......

but I have never understood this comment / complaint that is made regularly on this forum by more recent arrivals.

One is moving to another country, not to a continuation of the UK, so things are going to be different from what people are used to.

it is also a much bigger country, with a much smaller population, so many things such as transit will not be as "convenient" or "frequent".
Old Jan 23rd 2018, 10:58 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

There are a few aspects of banking that could catch up. Cheques are still common. Many businesses insist on a void cheque when arranging direct debits.
(but email transfers are good and I'm not sure those are in the UK)

Bureaucracy and very little accountability.

Cronyism.

Everyone doing tax returns with seemingly most getting refunds because nobody in power can get their heads around a way to get tax deductions right. Although some people do like this method of saving without getting interest on the money they wait to get back.

A variety of income related tax credits/benefits all based upon the same information that require multiple applications providing the same information (often to the same body that's already got it) and receiving these credits/benefits separately instead of combined.

An example:
The government pays my mother in law two types of pension, one dependent on the other. They know what one is otherwise they couldn't pay the other but she still has to tell them how much they're paying her.
At the end of the tax year, they send her a statement telling her how much they have paid her in total, so that she can tell them how much they paid her in total, so that using figures they already hold they can calculate how much to pay her for the new year so that they can tell her how much it was, ready for for her to tell them how much it was they told her they paid her. And so on...

Booze not freely available in supermarkets in most places. Where it is, it's a limited choice.

"Double taxation" for property taxes but half rebated if you live there. Like most do.

Last edited by BristolUK; Jan 23rd 2018 at 11:01 pm.
Old Jan 23rd 2018, 10:58 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Danny B
Single event sports betting is one example. Why are Canadians not allowed to place a bet on a single sports event, Boxing for example? Why do they force us to use sites hosted outside of Canada?
If you have enough left to spend money on this then you are not paying enough taxes
How about Provincial liquor laws, safety inspections for older vehicles, airline competition from foreign carriers who might want to fly within Canada and transport passengers, I guess I could go on.
Old Jan 23rd 2018, 11:14 pm
BE Forum Addict

Vulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond repute

"Behind" is a catch-all word to cover many differences for better or worse, some of which happen to be in, or resemble, the UK's past.

For example: cost of cell phone/length of contracts required. A lot of people have gotten used to a free PAYG SIM card in Britain with 1p/minute calls. Paying a $60/month contract feels like a lot, if people don't look at the logistics and costs of operating a continental network with only a medium sized population to pay for it.

Internet speeds, data caps, and cost is another one. I have a good connection, but pay a lot for it, and the alternative provider had a monthly data cap we'd have blown through in two weeks.

Or, paying for various bank features. It's common (although not universal) to pay a monthly fee for your bank account in Canada, depending on how often you want to do things like take out money/use your debit card. It's almost universal to pay to use the ATM from another bank. Few banks by default issue Visa debit cards (or equivalent) which can easily be used online. (Knowing the replies to come, I'll re-state at this point, FEW. Random reader may have one. Well done, that doesn't make it common).

Some of these things are outright not a thing in Britain (paying for another bank's ATM - you only pay to use commercial networks, eg Link. Doesn't matter if you're with NatWest, Halifax, Lloyds, you can use your card to get your money from all of their cash machines. If you have an RBC bank card in Canada and use a Scotiabank machine, you're paying for it). Others are unusual (some British current accounts have a monthly fee, often ones with a high interest rate on balances, and can be ameliorated by certain levels of payin/balance. Free is more common). Others are just weird - you sign up for a UK account, you get a card which you can use in just about any payment machine, and online. Not so here - for RBC, I had to specifically request a 'Virtual Visa' which is a very strange flimsy thing specifically for use online. Together that and my bank card replicate *some* of the functionality of a basic bank card in Britain (eg Canada has a strict debit card/credit card distinction - you'll be asked which it is, and need to say, and get the ire of the shopkeeper if you say the wrong one. If you're paying online or in a parking machine and it asks for 'credit card', your debit card will get you nowhere. In Britain, a Visa debit issued as standard with most new bank accounts will cover all of that).

Also, Canada's the only place in the last ten years I've seen a cheque.

Basically, banking is the big one. And there are reasons for that - Canada was advanced a while back, had Interac early. But, kinda like Betamax, it didn't really take off, and they weren't in a mind to rebuild their systems. So instead, websites will have things like 'make interac payment' buttons where you can log onto your online banking, and make a transfer. Is it 'behind'? It's different. That doesn't mean worse. First place I ever used a tap card to make a payment was Canada. When I moved here first, I'd never heard of emailing/texting people money as they were doing regularly. Britain now does that too. So, who was behind really? Other things, people who grew up there actively prefer to have costs broken out - running an account isn't free, some of them prefer to see the cost they're paying than to have it built into the background of eg lower interest rates on balances/higher overdraft charges. It's like display price not including tax, they like to see explicitly what they're paying to government for the transaction (I maintain that displaying one number then demanding another is fraud, but I'm not gonna win it).
Old Jan 23rd 2018, 11:17 pm
BE Forum Addict

Snowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond repute

I just read the first 15 posts of this thread: the comparison is a real downer and it's so liberating when you realize you've finally stopped doing it.

It's the acceptance stage of the culture shock process I think (stopping comparing).
Old Jan 23rd 2018, 11:25 pm
BE Forum Addict

Hurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond repute

HEAVEN is where:
The police are British
The chefs Italian
The mechanics are German
The lovers are French
and it's all organised by the Swiss

HELL is where:
The police are German
The chefs are British
The mechanics are French
The lovers are Swiss
and it's all organised by the Italians!!

There is no country in the world where you can 'pick and mix', I am sure they all have pro's and con's and Canada aint no different. Love it or loathe it (I love it!).
Old Jan 23rd 2018, 11:27 pm
BE Forum Addict

Snowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond repute

Yes Hurlabrick is going the "honeymoon" stage of culture shock after having recently returned to Canada! (Joke).
Old Jan 23rd 2018, 11:30 pm
BE Forum Addict

Hurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Snowy560
Yes Hurlabrick is going the "honeymoon" stage of culture shock after having recently returned to Canada! (Joke).
Oh I can moan! My Rogers box has failed for the second time in as many months, Not loving salt and muck all over the car, Walking to the pub in -20c was fun etc.!!
Old Jan 23rd 2018, 11:44 pm
BE Forum Addict

plasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond repute

This is from the Daily Mail, so it can’t possibly be true.

What are the best countries in the world?
A new survey has revealed the World's Best Countries as voted for by global citizens.
The US News research questioned a panel from four regions to assess perceptions of 80 countries on 75 different metrics.
1. Switzerland
2. Canada
3. Germany
4. United Kingdom
5. Japan
6. Sweden
7. Australia
8. United States
9. France
10. Netherlands

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-5304337/US-Britain-fall-list-Worlds-Best-Countries.html#ixzz553foqf8G
Old Jan 24th 2018, 12:15 am
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

I should say that some of the 'behindness' I actually quite like.
Old Jan 24th 2018, 1:11 am
Forum Regular

gaz_c2c has a reputation beyond reputegaz_c2c has a reputation beyond reputegaz_c2c has a reputation beyond reputegaz_c2c has a reputation beyond reputegaz_c2c has a reputation beyond reputegaz_c2c has a reputation beyond reputegaz_c2c has a reputation beyond reputegaz_c2c has a reputation beyond reputegaz_c2c has a reputation beyond reputegaz_c2c has a reputation beyond reputegaz_c2c has a reputation beyond repute

After reading the OP's experiences of Toronto I thought I'd share mine. I previously worked in Toronto on an IEC visa for roughly 20 months during early 2015 and summer 2016. I've posted in the past about how difficult I found moving here during the first year with my wife. After moving back to the UK in August 2016 I spent a few months adjusting to my new life and job in Warrington, and applied for PR in February 2017. After a difficult period in my life during summer 2017 (where I lost my job and separated from my wife) in September 2017 I landed in Toronto as a PR with 2 suitcases and little else.

I started work with a private security company and my gross pay is around $46k p/a (take home pay is around $2900 per month). I live in a small studio (less than 200sq ft) near UofT at the cost of $1200 per month (it includes all utilities but its far from glamorous) and has been a big change from the 3 bed house I was renting in the UK last year. I pay $40 per month for my cell and $60 for internet, and around $250 for groceries each month. That leaves me with around $1200-1300 per month to 'live' on (I don't pay transit fees because I can walk to downtown in less than 20 minutes, save for the occasional TTC token).

Some examples of what I do to try and keep my sanity: I use the Toronto Library to get free tickets (and rent books/dvds) to museums and sites around the city, go to places like the AGO on Tuesday evenings when its free admission, attend cheap or free events at places near Ryerson and UofT etc. I know plenty of cheap bars in and around the Annex and the Village, where I can afford to get 5 or 6 drinks and tip for $50 or less, especially when they have weekday specials! I drink cheap $2-3 coffees when I meet with friends, shop at Winners for reasonably priced clothes (or GAP online when they have their 50/60% off sales). I have store/points cards for everything! Had a couple of free coffees with a friend yesterday and watched a free film at the cinema last weekend. I wouldn't say I've been living the dream, but I'm cutting my cloth accordingly and spending less than I make each month. It's do-able in the short term (having a goal has really helped me during the worst days (like the day when my heating broke and it was -20 outside and my windows froze completely over!)).

Anyway, its been a difficult few months, but in spite of all of that, I am actually really happy. I knew coming back would be hard, that I would have to start again and maybe have a drop in living standard, but for my personal circumstances I am looking at the long term/bigger picture. I like Canada and Toronto and really want to be here, and I really want it to work out. For me I was looking at a 6-12 month timeframe, and as luck would have it things have started 'snowballing' since the new year. This past few weeks I've applied for a few part time masters programs in September, been offered a new job on almost double my current salary and have signed a lease for an actual apartment at Yonge and Eglinton. I'm still having a hard time believing the events of the last couple of weeks!

I hope that things for the OP improve, and I endorse what other posters have said about networking. Try and treat the current job as a stepping stone. There are a lot of good opportunities in Toronto if one is persistent and patient (and have a plan). Give it a bit of time (say 6 months, evaluate and go from there). The hardest part is getting set up (job and place to live) and it seems like the OP has already secured this, at least on temporary basis.

TL;DR - Things usually get worse before they get better (in my experience of moving to Toronto twice).

Last edited by gaz_c2c; Jan 24th 2018 at 1:17 am.
Old Jan 24th 2018, 1:23 am
Oscar nominated

@ gaz_c2c

So you're housed, heated, fed and connected, no significant transport costs and have at least $1200 a month left.

Sounds pretty good...and going to get better.

(Maybe the pharmacist can have your studio when you leave )
Old Jan 24th 2018, 1:24 am
Forum Regular

Jimbo2012 has a reputation beyond reputeJimbo2012 has a reputation beyond reputeJimbo2012 has a reputation beyond reputeJimbo2012 has a reputation beyond reputeJimbo2012 has a reputation beyond reputeJimbo2012 has a reputation beyond reputeJimbo2012 has a reputation beyond reputeJimbo2012 has a reputation beyond reputeJimbo2012 has a reputation beyond reputeJimbo2012 has a reputation beyond reputeJimbo2012 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by plasticcanuck
This is from the Daily Mail, so it can’t possibly be true.

What are the best countries in the world?
A new survey has revealed the World's Best Countries as voted for by global citizens.
The US News research questioned a panel from four regions to assess perceptions of 80 countries on 75 different metrics.
1. Switzerland
2. Canada
3. Germany
4. United Kingdom
5. Japan
6. Sweden
7. Australia
8. United States
9. France
10. Netherlands

Read more: US and Britain fall down list of 'World's Best Countries' | Daily Mail Online
Where are those perennial "winners" of similar lists to this i.e. Iceland, NZ, Denmark?
Old Jan 24th 2018, 1:37 am
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

There is very little in the way of employment protection, employers can and do dump people on a whim even after years in a job.

It's routine, at least in the one business I know well, computers, to discriminate against women of child bearing age specifically and women generally. Offsetting this, I see very little discrimination against penis wielding people on grounds of ethnicity and no one cares who is or isn't gay.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.