Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Am I over-judging Canada?

Am I over-judging Canada?

Old Jan 23rd 2018, 5:25 pm
Forum Regular

bgpz has a reputation beyond reputebgpz has a reputation beyond reputebgpz has a reputation beyond reputebgpz has a reputation beyond reputebgpz has a reputation beyond reputebgpz has a reputation beyond reputebgpz has a reputation beyond reputebgpz has a reputation beyond reputebgpz has a reputation beyond reputebgpz has a reputation beyond reputebgpz has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Am I over-judging Canada?

Originally Posted by Novocastrian
Out of curiosity, how much are U of T paying you as a postdoc?
you asked the OP this on another thread a while back

(apparently $45k, after some negotiation)
Old Jan 23rd 2018, 5:44 pm
BE Forum Addict

Paul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Danny B
It has always confused me why someone would want to leave one perfectly good fantastic city for another fantastic city and gain nothing in return.

Personally I think us Brits are spoilt, most of us emigrated from fairly decent areas in the UK and are upset that Canada is 15 years behind the times when compared to the UK. We either need to stop comparing, get used to it, or move back.

Most new immigrants to Canada are not as fortunate as us yet they are thankful they have moved to a country with decent infrastructure, health care and the ability to work.

Every time I meet up with my Wife's side of the family it really grounds me. Hardworking Filipino's that were dentists, engineers, teachers etc back in the Philippines now working in fast food restaurants.

Do they complain about? absolutely they do, but not about the price of a PAYG sim card or travel pass. They are so much happier with their new life they overlook the small things and concentrate their efforts on getting their skills converted to Canadian standards so they can get better jobs.

Can you imagine a UK family emigrating to Vancouver and working in Dairy Queen while they go to school at night? It just wouldn't happen.

I think Brits that complain about Canada in the usual way, didn't make the move here for the right reasons. We all know Canada is behind in the ways that some have pointed out....and many of us knew this before we came, but we don't mind as we came here for other reasons, and we are determined to make it a success.

I have struggled to find re-employment here since I was laid off last year... (the hiring process here is ridiculous) but I still don't want to move back, I prefer living here and its advantages outweigh the disadvantages because I feel I moved for the right reasons. But we look at things differerently and have differing priorities.

Cheese is a bit expensive though....
Old Jan 23rd 2018, 5:48 pm
BE Forum Addict

Paul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond repute

That wasn't Toronto, it was Mel Lastman.

Yes but as Mayor he represented Toronto and Toronto didn't ridicule his decision, it was the rest of the country that ridiculed Toronto.....from what I am told by many.
Old Jan 23rd 2018, 6:38 pm
Tea Drinker

Danny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Paul_Shepherd
I think Brits that complain about Canada in the usual way, didn't make the move here for the right reasons. We all know Canada is behind in the ways that some have pointed out....and many of us knew this before we came, but we don't mind as we came here for other reasons, and we are determined to make it a success.

I have struggled to find re-employment here since I was laid off last year... (the hiring process here is ridiculous) but I still don't want to move back, I prefer living here and its advantages outweigh the disadvantages because I feel I moved for the right reasons. But we look at things differerently and have differing priorities.

Hey Paul, sorry to hear that you are struggling to find work, would you consider relocating to another area of Canada if the right job came up? This isn't a job offer BTW, just curious

I'm like you, I would rather stay in Canada and find any work instead of moving back to the UK.

Yes I completely agree, when you move to another country, it has to be for the right reasons otherwise you will never be truly happy....especially when it comes to the cheese, tea bags and TV
Old Jan 23rd 2018, 6:41 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Is it? Nobody said.
Old Jan 23rd 2018, 8:50 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bgpz
you asked the OP this on another thread a while back

(apparently $45k, after some negotiation)
So I did. I'll therefore repeat that $45k is a shitty postdoc salary in 2018.

I paid my first postdoc exactly that amount when I came back to Canada in 1993 .

Last edited by Novocastrian; Jan 23rd 2018 at 8:53 pm.
Old Jan 23rd 2018, 8:55 pm
BE Enthusiast

glendem4 has a reputation beyond reputeglendem4 has a reputation beyond reputeglendem4 has a reputation beyond reputeglendem4 has a reputation beyond reputeglendem4 has a reputation beyond reputeglendem4 has a reputation beyond reputeglendem4 has a reputation beyond reputeglendem4 has a reputation beyond reputeglendem4 has a reputation beyond reputeglendem4 has a reputation beyond reputeglendem4 has a reputation beyond repute

Cheer up, Canada is the 4th best country in the world for freedom rights....Graphic shows Russia and China worst for taking freedoms | Daily Mail Online
Old Jan 23rd 2018, 8:58 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Danny B
Hey Paul, sorry to hear that you are struggling to find work, would you consider relocating to another area of Canada if the right job came up? This isn't a job offer BTW, just curious

I'm like you, I would rather stay in Canada and find any work instead of moving back to the UK.

Yes I completely agree, when you move to another country, it has to be for the right reasons otherwise you will never be truly happy....especially when it comes to the cheese, tea bags and TV

As soon as I lost my job I think it was a given that I knew I would have to relocate, Peterborough other than being on the edge of beautiful and real Canadian wilderness, which is its one plus point, the place is a ghost town, there has been no effort by Peterborough city hall to bring new work or encourage new industry or business here, so unless I chose to do something else I have to relocate, but its something I have been looking into so I can stay.

When I say relocate, I am only talking with a 300km radius of where I currently am, as I have an established network of friends here now, and as I am single with no family, my friends are very important to me, so I would like to stay in touch with them by coming back most weekends or every other weekend. That radius does take in Toronto the other side of Toronto and Ottawa too, so you would think I would be able to find something in that area, but its proving very difficult, I put it down to my age and the industry I work in, both past their prime! lol.

As tough as it is I still have no desire to move back to the UK, despite what friends in the UK say to me...."well you may have to move back then" no me moving to Canada wasn't on a whim or doing it becuase its something to do, I did it for calculated reasons....I love what this country offered, I fit in better here than the country of my birth, I have never cared about how Canada is behind the UK on some things, Ive embraced all of it...the good and the bad...even the ugly! and the reasons why I made the move are still there, its my home and I want to remain here.

Of course there is a limit though, you have to be reasonable about it, where ever you live it is about quality of life, if I can't get work in my trained field and try do something else to earn a living, but its not providing me with the quality of life I want.....then maybe then I would consider a move back to the UK....however even then it would be a reluctant one, when I moved here I put 110% into adjusting to Canadian life and culture warts an all, and I suceeded, because I wanted to move and live here, I also made it a priority to become a Canadian citizen.

To move from here back to the UK would be a very sad day for me. Even cheap cheese and great TV wouldn't swing it for me....

Last edited by Paul_Shepherd; Jan 23rd 2018 at 9:06 pm.
Old Jan 23rd 2018, 9:14 pm
BE Forum Addict

I paid my first postdoc exactly that amount when I came back to Canada in 1993 .
I agree....I am very shocked that $45k is all that is offered for that level of education. Sadly it seems to be the sign of the times now.
Old Jan 23rd 2018, 9:22 pm
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

Bloody hell! I was making close to that as a medical secretary in Burlington 13 years ago when we left Canada.
Old Jan 23rd 2018, 9:32 pm
Just Joined

Talya88 has a reputation beyond reputeTalya88 has a reputation beyond reputeTalya88 has a reputation beyond reputeTalya88 has a reputation beyond reputeTalya88 has a reputation beyond reputeTalya88 has a reputation beyond reputeTalya88 has a reputation beyond reputeTalya88 has a reputation beyond reputeTalya88 has a reputation beyond reputeTalya88 has a reputation beyond reputeTalya88 has a reputation beyond repute

Please can someone expand on the ways in which Canada is behind the UK?
Old Jan 23rd 2018, 10:10 pm
BE Forum Addict

scilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=Talya88;12425998]Please can someone expand on the ways in which Canada is behind the UK?[/QUOTE]

I think I've been here far too long (over 50 years since I left the UK) .......

but I have never understood this comment / complaint that is made regularly on this forum by more recent arrivals.

One is moving to another country, not to a continuation of the UK, so things are going to be different from what people are used to.

it is also a much bigger country, with a much smaller population, so many things such as transit will not be as "convenient" or "frequent".
Old Jan 23rd 2018, 10:23 pm
limey party pooper

bats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond repute

Yes but as Mayor he represented Toronto and Toronto didn't ridicule his decision, it was the rest of the country that ridiculed Toronto.....from what I am told by many.
Only recently a Toronto friend said "I've never been so embarrassed in my life" when talking about this.
Old Jan 23rd 2018, 10:35 pm
BE Forum Addict

MarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Talya88
Please can someone expand on the ways in which Canada is behind the UK?
Not enough roundabouts.

Other than that, there's a reason I live in Saskatoon and not Toronto.
Old Jan 23rd 2018, 10:53 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MarkG
Not enough roundabouts.

Other than that, there's a reason I live in Saskatoon and not Toronto.
Some places are trying but they call them calming circles
Residents protest traffic-calming circles - Manitoba - CBC News

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.