Am i needed??

Old Dec 8th 2012, 6:26 pm
Just Joined

bonnynclyde is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Am i needed??

Hi all, new to the forum. Myself and my family (wife and two children) are looking to move to Canada to live and work. I am ex military (16 years) and for the last 5 years i have been working for BT openreach as a fibre engineer/overhead engineer/copper jointer. And now in a managerial capacity. My wife is a dental nurse with 14 years experience. Are our trades needed in Canada? and would we be needed there? Any information at all greatly appreciated.
Old Dec 9th 2012, 1:44 am
BE Enthusiast

AdrianR is a splendid one to beholdAdrianR is a splendid one to beholdAdrianR is a splendid one to beholdAdrianR is a splendid one to beholdAdrianR is a splendid one to beholdAdrianR is a splendid one to beholdAdrianR is a splendid one to beholdAdrianR is a splendid one to beholdAdrianR is a splendid one to beholdAdrianR is a splendid one to beholdAdrianR is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Am i needed??

Welcome to the monkey-house that is BritishExpats!

Where do you want to live? What do you want to do? What kind of life do you want?

See? There's lots of questions to be answered about your expectations for a life in Canada.

Put the kettle on, make a pot of tea and set about reading the Wiki (blue bar at top of page).

The simple answer is: if you have a trade or profession, can speak English and have a decent education then Canada will welcome you - it's up to you to figure the way to make the best of that welcome.
Old Dec 9th 2012, 2:30 am
limey party pooper

bats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by AdrianR
Welcome to the monkey-house that is BritishExpats!

Where do you want to live? What do you want to do? What kind of life do you want?

See? There's lots of questions to be answered about your expectations for a life in Canada.

Put the kettle on, make a pot of tea and set about reading the Wiki (blue bar at top of page).

The simple answer is: if you have a trade or profession, can speak English and have a decent education then Canada will welcome you - it's up to you to figure the way to make the best of that welcome.
er, no it really is not that simple. I would look into whether or not dental nursing qualifications are accepted here, there's bound to be an exam and some studying Have a look here http://www.ndaeb.ca/
Old Dec 9th 2012, 7:11 am
BEd Enthusiast

cjones has a reputation beyond reputecjones has a reputation beyond reputecjones has a reputation beyond reputecjones has a reputation beyond reputecjones has a reputation beyond reputecjones has a reputation beyond reputecjones has a reputation beyond reputecjones has a reputation beyond reputecjones has a reputation beyond reputecjones has a reputation beyond reputecjones has a reputation beyond repute

...The simple answer is: if you have a trade or profession, can speak English and have a decent education then .....
....you too could soon be driving a taxi around the streets of downtown Toronto.
Old Dec 9th 2012, 12:22 pm
BE Enthusiast

AdrianR is a splendid one to beholdAdrianR is a splendid one to beholdAdrianR is a splendid one to beholdAdrianR is a splendid one to beholdAdrianR is a splendid one to beholdAdrianR is a splendid one to beholdAdrianR is a splendid one to beholdAdrianR is a splendid one to beholdAdrianR is a splendid one to beholdAdrianR is a splendid one to beholdAdrianR is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by bats
er, no it really is not that simple. <snip>
er, yes it is - you are assuming that the wife wants to continue to be a dental nurse.

The Nova Scotia Provincial Nominee Program, Community Identified Stream, only requires that you have a tertiary education, fluent English and at least 1 years experience (from the last 5) of the field in which you wish to work. How much more simple can the criteria get?
Old Dec 10th 2012, 10:55 am
Forum Regular

UKCanady is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Bonnynclyde.
My partner is also ex bt openreach and we have been looking at the possibilities for employment in the telecommunications field, he is also a qualified hairdresser/barber. Welcome to the forum, if we can help
please let us know.
Old Dec 10th 2012, 11:19 am
Account Closed

jericho is an unknown quantity at this point

I think the comment that "and Canada will welcome you" is a little misleading. From an immigration point of view, I agree, but for most, getting employment is still a significant hurdle... especially in places like NS where people are a little more close minded to people "from away".
Old Dec 10th 2012, 11:59 am
Forum Regular

Hi again, Employment is a significant factor we are hoping to start our own business in the care sector, once going through all the necessary approvals, and also gaining employment in the interim, our business is a great ice breaker into the local communities we have found in the past. Good luck with your search
Old Dec 10th 2012, 2:35 pm
limey party pooper

bats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond repute

er, yes it is - you are assuming that the wife wants to continue to be a dental nurse.

The Nova Scotia Provincial Nominee Program, Community Identified Stream, only requires that you have a tertiary education, fluent English and at least 1 years experience (from the last 5) of the field in which you wish to work. How much more simple can the criteria get?
Simple to go to NS, if they want to go there. As to getting local qualifications, registration etc etc. Not simple and usually expensive.
Old Dec 10th 2012, 5:12 pm
Forum Regular

Prospector is an unknown quantity at this point

We have trouble finding people with approopriate network communications/fibre technicians in my business. There is always room in IT as long as you are in a specialized field and carry credentials.
Old Dec 10th 2012, 8:32 pm
Just Joined

Phone Phixer is an unknown quantity at this point

The basic answer regarding yourself is no, in respect of the skilled worker route.
Telecom techs are not on the skills in demand list, but there are plenty of jobs available if you are prepared to go back on the tools.
Different provinces have different companys as the incumbent telco. In BC and Alberta it is Telus who I work for. We are currently hiring Service Techs for Installation & Repair work. (In BT terms, thats CSE/volume work). But you have to be at least PR here, Telus will not go down the work permit route as they can get enough interest from within the country.
The only way to get in the country with your skills is to look at a work permit with a company called ATI Telecom. They work as contractors to Telus doing I&R work. There are several ex BT/Openreach guys working for them. The main problem is you work at the shitty end of the stick regarding employment conditions. The work is there when available, and you cover all weekends and stat (bank) holidays, so family life is not great!!
Old Dec 10th 2012, 9:38 pm
Forum Regular

I may be incorrect but I think they are on the new Trade skills list under 7246 what the process is for the visa I think they are just opening a new influx in 2013 for 3000 initially for some trades, Im still looking into this so will get all the facts.
Old Dec 10th 2012, 9:53 pm
Just Joined

Phone Phixer is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by UKCanady
I may be incorrect but I think they are on the new Trade skills list under 7246 what the process is for the visa I think they are just opening a new influx in 2013 for 3000 initially for some trades, Im still looking into this so will get all the facts.
That is the NOC list that has all the trades by category. Not the trades in demand list from CIC for immigration purposes.
Old Dec 10th 2012, 10:00 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Phone Phixer
Not the trades in demand list from CIC for immigration purposes.
No such list at the moment. I think Canady is referring to the new Skilled Trades program that will start in January 2013, although personally I doubt that telecoms repair workers will be on the list of eligible occupations for that program.

But if, as predicted, the new FSW program doesn't have an eligible occupation list, then the OP may be able to apply for PR via that route if they have enough points etc.
Old Dec 10th 2012, 10:09 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Phone Phixer
That is the NOC list that has all the trades by category. Not the trades in demand list from CIC for immigration purposes.
Which is out of date as of today.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.