Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Am I legally eligible to work in Canada?

Am I legally eligible to work in Canada?

Old Aug 4th 2010, 7:24 pm
Forum Regular

Kimbie has much to be proud ofKimbie has much to be proud ofKimbie has much to be proud ofKimbie has much to be proud ofKimbie has much to be proud ofKimbie has much to be proud ofKimbie has much to be proud ofKimbie has much to be proud ofKimbie has much to be proud ofKimbie has much to be proud ofKimbie has much to be proud of
Default Am I legally eligible to work in Canada?

Applying for some IT jobs, and I get asked on some of the websites, "Are you legally eligible to work in Canada?"

Now I assume since I am still in the UK and do not have a TWP or anything like that, I have to say no?

Just wanted to clarify it before I started submitting stuff

Thanks

Dave
Old Aug 4th 2010, 7:27 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Am I legally eligible to work in Canada?

Correct. You could explain its not that hard to become legally eligible to work here, but that its a "catch 22" now, in general terms under the new system you cant get legal status until you have a job offer.
Old Aug 4th 2010, 7:29 pm
Forum Regular

Kimbie has much to be proud ofKimbie has much to be proud ofKimbie has much to be proud ofKimbie has much to be proud ofKimbie has much to be proud ofKimbie has much to be proud ofKimbie has much to be proud ofKimbie has much to be proud ofKimbie has much to be proud ofKimbie has much to be proud ofKimbie has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by iaink View Post
Correct. You could explain its not that hard to become legally eligible to work here, but that its a "catch 22" now, in general terms under the new system you cant get legal status until you have a job offer.
I thought that was the case, but just wanted to ask someone else first

Thanks

Dave
Old Aug 4th 2010, 8:06 pm
BE Enthusiast

AdrianR is a splendid one to beholdAdrianR is a splendid one to beholdAdrianR is a splendid one to beholdAdrianR is a splendid one to beholdAdrianR is a splendid one to beholdAdrianR is a splendid one to beholdAdrianR is a splendid one to beholdAdrianR is a splendid one to beholdAdrianR is a splendid one to beholdAdrianR is a splendid one to beholdAdrianR is a splendid one to behold

Don't forget, although I couldn't prove this, ticking 'no' on that box probably means that the software will ditch your application as a matter of course.
Old Aug 4th 2010, 8:45 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

And added to what Adrian's said, that unless you have skills very in demand, you're unlikely to ever hear anything at all if you just apply via websites.

Have a read of the Job Hunting section of the website for tips on how to go about finding a job.

Good luck!
Old Aug 5th 2010, 10:04 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by christmasoompa View Post
And added to what Adrian's said, that unless you have skills very in demand, you're unlikely to ever hear anything at all if you just apply via websites.

Have a read of the Job Hunting section of the website for tips on how to go about finding a job.

Good luck!
I have been looking at the job hunting section, however these jobs were with Research in Motion the people who make blackberries, so you have to apply via their website, but they appear to be geared up to foreign workers, so will see what happens.

Dave
Old Aug 5th 2010, 5:21 pm
BE Enthusiast

AdrianR is a splendid one to beholdAdrianR is a splendid one to beholdAdrianR is a splendid one to beholdAdrianR is a splendid one to beholdAdrianR is a splendid one to beholdAdrianR is a splendid one to beholdAdrianR is a splendid one to beholdAdrianR is a splendid one to beholdAdrianR is a splendid one to beholdAdrianR is a splendid one to beholdAdrianR is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Kimbie View Post
...however these jobs were with Research in Motion the people who make blackberries, so you have to apply via their website...
The same thing applies. Resume sorting software has a set of parameters that will decide which applications go forward to be reviewed by HR. If your application doesn't tick the boxes then it's dumped...as always, the problem is, one has no way of knowing what the boxes are labeled as or whether their ticks are important!