Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Allowance when visiting U.S zero?

Allowance when visiting U.S zero?

Old Oct 1st 2012, 9:20 pm

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Allowance when visiting U.S zero?

Originally Posted by Monique_in_Canada
I was using it as an example...but not sure wot u mean....my hubby brings at least one home weekly!!!
Without a permit, fruits and vegetables are prohibited to bring across the border.
Old Oct 1st 2012, 9:57 pm
half a century

The4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond repute

Hmmm Washington State Trader Joes shops have a list of which fruit you can bring back into Canada
Old Oct 2nd 2012, 1:11 am
BE Enthusiast

Monique_in_Canada is a splendid one to beholdMonique_in_Canada is a splendid one to beholdMonique_in_Canada is a splendid one to beholdMonique_in_Canada is a splendid one to beholdMonique_in_Canada is a splendid one to beholdMonique_in_Canada is a splendid one to beholdMonique_in_Canada is a splendid one to beholdMonique_in_Canada is a splendid one to beholdMonique_in_Canada is a splendid one to beholdMonique_in_Canada is a splendid one to beholdMonique_in_Canada is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Aviator
Without a permit, fruits and vegetables are prohibited to bring across the border.

we have repeatedly asked the Canadian border doods about bringing shopping into Canada and if there are any restrictions on dairy, fruit, veggies, meat etc.....and they all say no.....maybe its a province thing!!!
Old Oct 2nd 2012, 5:12 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

This link may help with certain products purchased in the US only

http://www.beaware.gc.ca/english/brirape.shtml

If unsure you can use the CFIA AIRS website.
http://airs-sari.inspection.gc.ca/Ai...ns.aspx?lang=1
Old Oct 2nd 2012, 4:30 pm

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Monique_in_Canada
we have repeatedly asked the Canadian border doods about bringing shopping into Canada and if there are any restrictions on dairy, fruit, veggies, meat etc.....and they all say no.....maybe its a province thing!!!
No, its a CFIA thing.
Old Oct 2nd 2012, 5:33 pm
Grumpy Know-it-all

Steve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by chrissyb
Am I being silly ?

This says to me I cannot bring anything back unless I have been there for 24 hours? We were planning a trip tomorrow just to browse but may end up buying a couple of items but don't want to get in trouble as it will only be a couple of hours!
It's a bit misleading because some things aren't subject to duty, because of NAFTA and they're not covered by GST/HST, such as many US or Mexican-source grocery items.

So say you go down and buy a gallon of milk, there's no tax.

Note that a lot of the usual prohibitions on food items that you can bring into Canada do not apply to imports from the US and vice versa.

So there's no exemption but there's no tax so it doesn't matter, which is why Bellingham has two Fred Meyer supermarkets...
Old Oct 2nd 2012, 5:43 pm
Banned

ultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond repute

At the end of the day, it's all at the discretion of the agent on duty innit?
Old Oct 2nd 2012, 5:44 pm
Forum Regular

kirstybowles is a name known to allkirstybowles is a name known to allkirstybowles is a name known to allkirstybowles is a name known to allkirstybowles is a name known to allkirstybowles is a name known to allkirstybowles is a name known to allkirstybowles is a name known to allkirstybowles is a name known to allkirstybowles is a name known to allkirstybowles is a name known to all

whilst on the subject of crossing the border we have been here for 4 months and have our permenant residency status, we don't have our pr cards yet we want to cross from ontario to watertown. my mother in law is visiting from england too and obviously we all only have an english passport. we would be going by car i just need to know where we stand and can we travel over there for the weekend and get back in without a pr card thankyou in advance x
Old Oct 2nd 2012, 6:12 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kirstybowles
whilst on the subject of crossing the border we have been here for 4 months and have our permenant residency status, we don't have our pr cards yet we want to cross from ontario to watertown. my mother in law is visiting from england too and obviously we all only have an english passport. we would be going by car i just need to know where we stand and can we travel over there for the weekend and get back in without a pr card thankyou in advance x
You can get into the US, you'll just need six bucks (US) each for the visa waiver.
Old Oct 2nd 2012, 6:17 pm
Forum Regular

kirstybowles is a name known to allkirstybowles is a name known to allkirstybowles is a name known to allkirstybowles is a name known to allkirstybowles is a name known to allkirstybowles is a name known to allkirstybowles is a name known to allkirstybowles is a name known to allkirstybowles is a name known to allkirstybowles is a name known to allkirstybowles is a name known to all

thankyou for that, all the info i could find was saying we needed pr cards or imm forms! i was just about to upset the mother in law but now shes getting excited lol!
Old Oct 2nd 2012, 6:22 pm
Binned by Muderators

JonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kirstybowles
thankyou for that, all the info i could find was saying we needed pr cards or imm forms! i was just about to upset the mother in law but now shes getting excited lol!
Not to go to the US. Just present a British passport, get sent into secondary to complete your visa waiver form and pay your USD6.

Getting back into Canada ...
Old Oct 2nd 2012, 8:57 pm
Forum Regular

Yasmina2005 will become famous soon enoughYasmina2005 will become famous soon enough
Exclamation Re: Allowance when visiting U.S zero?

If my husband and I visit the USA together and say we stay more than 48 hours. Do I claim $800 duty free goods and can he also declare $800 of duty free goods (Total $1600) OR we do claim $800 ONLY of duty free goods. Living in the same house does not mean his money is my money and vice versa...

Last edited by Yasmina2005; Oct 2nd 2012 at 9:02 pm.
Old Oct 2nd 2012, 9:10 pm

Originally Posted by Yasmina2005
If my husband and I visit the USA together and say we stay more than 48 hours. Do I claim $800 duty free goods and can he also declare $800 of duty free goods (Total $1600) OR we do claim $800 ONLY of duty free goods. Living in the same house does not mean his money is my money and vice versa...
You report what you are bringing back, you don't 'claim' the allowance. The allowance is per person, does not matter where you live. You will have to present receipts and possibly proof of being away for 48 hours or more and they will tell you if you owe anything or not.
Old Oct 2nd 2012, 9:19 pm
Forum Regular

Yasmina2005 will become famous soon enoughYasmina2005 will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by Aviator
You report what you are bringing back, you don't 'claim' the allowance. The allowance is per person, does not matter where you live. You will have to present receipts and possibly proof of being away for 48 hours or more and they will tell you if you owe anything or not.
Thank you for your answer. As long as the allowance is per person regardless where they live we have no prob presenting receipts and proofs of being away for 48 hours or more. I just do not want to have the surprise that the allowance is per household.

Last edited by Yasmina2005; Oct 2nd 2012 at 9:25 pm.
Old Oct 2nd 2012, 9:40 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Almost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Yasmina2005
Thank you for your answer. As long as the allowance is per person regardless where they live we have no prob presenting receipts and proofs of being away for 48 hours or more. I just do not want to have the surprise that the allowance is per household.
Each person gets it. Our kids love "buying" our new appliances

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.