Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

ALL WESTJET FLIGHTS TO CANADA CANCELLED FROM 22 MARCH

ALL WESTJET FLIGHTS TO CANADA CANCELLED FROM 22 MARCH

Old Mar 26th 2020, 10:38 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: ALL WESTJET FLIGHTS TO CANADA CANCELLED FROM 22 MARCH

Originally Posted by CanadaJimmy
Well that needs to be fixed, that's ridiculous.
some airlines likely don't have the funds to do mass refunds, which is in part why Sunwing stopped providing them.

Old Mar 27th 2020, 2:17 am
Bex in the city

beckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jsmth321
some airlines likely don't have the funds to do mass refunds, which is in part why Sunwing stopped providing them.
AC would have. They are massive!

What happens if the airlines go bankrupt? those vouchers will be worth FA.
Old Mar 30th 2020, 6:07 am
BE Enthusiast

Revin Kevin has a reputation beyond reputeRevin Kevin has a reputation beyond reputeRevin Kevin has a reputation beyond reputeRevin Kevin has a reputation beyond reputeRevin Kevin has a reputation beyond reputeRevin Kevin has a reputation beyond reputeRevin Kevin has a reputation beyond reputeRevin Kevin has a reputation beyond reputeRevin Kevin has a reputation beyond reputeRevin Kevin has a reputation beyond reputeRevin Kevin has a reputation beyond repute

Westjet have emailed cancelling our flights in May;

"Dear Sir or Madam,Due to adjustments to our flight schedule, we're sorry to advise you that it has been necessary to change one or more of your WestJet flights and we are unable to provide an alternative flight option.

For your reference, the reservation co
de is:xxxxxx

We are not processing refunds to original form of payment at this time. The full value of your flight has been refunded to a WestJet travel bank (for WestJet bookings) or WestJet Dollars account (for WestJet Vacations bookings), which is valid for 24 months from date of issue. If you prefer a refund to original form of payment, we will provide information about when that can be requested at a later date.
We sincerely apologize for any inconvenience these changes may cause you. Thank you for your understanding."

The bit about a refund is a bit vague but looking into it I have found that as the flight was due to depart an EU airport and has been cancelled they have to provide a refund under EU law, special rules re Corvid 19 just relieve them of having to provide an alternative flight and compensation only. Hopefully they'll play ball and process a swift refund!

Old Mar 30th 2020, 11:19 am
BE Enthusiast

Revin Kevin has a reputation beyond reputeRevin Kevin has a reputation beyond reputeRevin Kevin has a reputation beyond reputeRevin Kevin has a reputation beyond reputeRevin Kevin has a reputation beyond reputeRevin Kevin has a reputation beyond reputeRevin Kevin has a reputation beyond reputeRevin Kevin has a reputation beyond reputeRevin Kevin has a reputation beyond reputeRevin Kevin has a reputation beyond reputeRevin Kevin has a reputation beyond repute

Well I contacted Westjet today and told them I wanted my money back and not a Westjet Travel Bank credit as this is what I was entitled to under EU law. They basically said get stuffed and just reiterated that bit about refund information at some future date. I would imagine that they are dealing with thousand of such requests and it looks like they intend to hold out offering cash refunds as long as they can.
Old Mar 30th 2020, 2:49 pm
Bex in the city

beckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Revin Kevin
Well I contacted Westjet today and told them I wanted my money back and not a Westjet Travel Bank credit as this is what I was entitled to under EU law. They basically said get stuffed and just reiterated that bit about refund information at some future date. I would imagine that they are dealing with thousand of such requests and it looks like they intend to hold out offering cash refunds as long as they can.
from what I understand, there is a class action suit going through with 5 Canadian airlines via a passenger rights group.

It may happen that the airlines will be told they have to refund but when that happens I don’t know.

The advise I was given was to not accept the travel voucher/credit

when you say EU airline regulations would that still include the UK or with Brexit is that null and void?
Old Mar 30th 2020, 6:34 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by beckiwoo
from what I understand, there is a class action suit going through with 5 Canadian airlines via a passenger rights group.

It may happen that the airlines will be told they have to refund but when that happens I don’t know.

The advise I was given was to not accept the travel voucher/credit

when you say EU airline regulations would that still include the UK or with Brexit is that null and void?

As far as I know EU laws are still in force until the Brexit deal is agreed.
I have now looked more carefully at what Westjet have done with our booking. Incredibly Westjet have only cancelled the first leg of our flights from London to Calgary - the rest of our outbound flight, Calgary to Winnipeg still stands together with our return flights back to London. So the start point of our trip is now Calgary not London - cheers WJ that's a lot of use! Is it a ploy to make us cancel the rest of the flight to get them off the hook for a refund? Had a look at Westjet's facebook page and there's quite a lot of other unhappy customers all wanting refunds. It seems that they are quoting the Canadian rules to everyone which currently on't oblige them to make refunds. Honestly struggling to work out what's the best way to tackle it at the moment, worried that if we don't cancel the rest of our flights we will lose everything but the only way to cancel seems to be to accept their travel bank dollars and that might then rule out getting a refund.
Old Mar 30th 2020, 7:37 pm
BE Forum Addict

CanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond repute

Interestingly, British Airways is still flying it's Vancouver - Heathrow route that I still have booked flights for in May.

Can't imagine that is a very profitable route right now and I am very surprised they haven't cancelled it yet.
https://flightaware.com/live/flight/BAW84
https://flightaware.com/live/flight/BAW85
Just an update on this, looks like British Airways have cancelled these flights, with the last one on last Friday. Any search on British Airways site shows it as cancelled up until 9th April (the furthest it will go). My flight in May isn't showing as cancelled on the booking page yet but I think its pretty inevitable it will be cancelled.

Last edited by CanadaJimmy; Mar 30th 2020 at 7:41 pm.
Old Mar 30th 2020, 7:50 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

My guess is Westjet like many airlines simply doesn't have the cash to do full refunds for everyone and continue to stay in business. Even those like Sunwing who initially offered refunds, ended up having to stop giving refunds as the demand for refunds exceeded their available resources.

The will provide a future date for refunds and info sounds more like, when we find the financing we need, we will start to provide refunds.

At this point Westjet will be lucky to survive long term, but same boat for virtually every airline in the world at this point.

Last edited by scrubbedexpat091; Mar 30th 2020 at 8:01 pm.
Old Mar 30th 2020, 8:06 pm
Bex in the city

Originally Posted by Jsmth321
My guess is Westjet like many airlines simply doesn't have the cash to do full refunds for everyone and continue to stay in business. Even those like Sunwing who initially offered refunds, ended up having to stop giving refunds as the demand for refunds exceeded their available resources.

The will provide a future date for refunds and info sounds more like, when we find the financing we need, we will start to provide refunds.

At this point Westjet will be lucky to survive long term, but same boat for virtually every airline in the world at this point.
If they get bailed out by the government then they need to be offering the refunds.

My flight in May hasn’t been cancelled and I can’t see them doing this until nearer the time. I’m waiting for them to cancel as then I have more rights to argue them with
Old Mar 31st 2020, 8:17 pm
Resident Maple Leaf Lush

sharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond repute

This may, or may not help in regards to the timeframe of when existing bookings might get cancelled.
I booked a trip through Expedia.ca for an all-inclusive vacation with WestJet. Departure 11th April, returning 19th April. I received the following email on 24th March:

Dear Expedia Traveller,

We know many of you are trying to contact us about adjusting your travel plans due to the situation with novel coronavirus (COVID-19), and we are deeply sorry for the delays. We are clearly facing extreme call volumes at this time and wish we could respond to everyone immediately. Please know we are working as fast as we can to update our site with options that allow you to manage your itinerary directly.

Due to the situation with COVID-19, WestJet Vacations has cancelled all flights and sun package reservations scheduled between March 23- April 23, 2020. Your reservation has been cancelled, and the total amount will be credited to you. This future travel credit will be valid to use for 24 months from your original travel date. There is no need to call in to confirm your cancellation, we’ve got you covered.

To receive your credit, please visit the WestJet Vacations website directly and complete the online request form.

When submitting the online form, below are a few things to keep in mind:
• You will choose “Individual” when completing the form.
• Under Guest Information, please input the necessary details.
• Important Note: You will be prompted to enter a WestJet Rewards ID. If you do not have one, you will need to sign up for one. In this section, you should also select WestJet dollars as the refund option.
• You do not need to complete the Travel Agency section of this form.
• If your reservation includes multiple guests, you can add their information to the section titled Additional Guest.
To redeem your travel credit at a later time, please contact WestJet Vacations directly, and they will be able to assist with your booking.

We apologize for any inconvenience this may have caused you and thank you for trusting Expedia with your travel needs.
Sincerely,
The Expedia Travel Team
Old Apr 1st 2020, 4:34 am
BE Forum Addict

CanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sharkus
This may, or may not help in regards to the timeframe of when existing bookings might get cancelled.
I booked a trip through Expedia.ca for an all-inclusive vacation with WestJet. Departure 11th April, returning 19th April. I received the following email on 24th March:
Personally I’d call the credit card company to get a refund, unless you’re happy with a voucher.
Old Apr 1st 2020, 4:26 pm
Resident Maple Leaf Lush

sharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond repute

Personally I’d call the credit card company to get a refund, unless you’re happy with a voucher.
I've joined the Air Passenger Rights FB group and I'm asking for advice on there. I think I will probably phone the card company (Tangerine) and issue a chargeback. If I knew WestJet wold be operating after things get back to normal then I would take the WestJet dollars, as I would be quite happy to rebook the same trip at a later date
Old Apr 1st 2020, 4:40 pm
BE Enthusiast

[. If I knew WestJet wold be operating after things get back to normal then I would take the WestJet dollars, as I would be quite happy to rebook the same trip at a later date[/QUOTE]

That's my way of thinking too, plus with west jet dollars if you rebook and the fares have risen they will want more money off you. Westjet and indeed the other airlines could have won more people over and side stepped a lot of criticism had they offered the option of the same flights with say complementary upgrades on any available future dates.