Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

for all of those thinking of returning to the uk

for all of those thinking of returning to the uk

Old Feb 23rd 2011, 12:33 am
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: for all of those thinking of returning to the uk

Originally Posted by britsnake
A black friend once spent some time in a village in Yorkshire. Prior to her visit, the majority had never met a black person before and didn't even know they existed. They had seen them on east enders but thought they were made up.

Every place she went people would touch her hair for luck and compare it to sheeps wool. Also when you told them you were from London, they would ask if you knew their friend who moved up there a few years previously.

Everyone in that village had pretty much been there all their life. They were ignorant and narrow minded. Where they lived was beautiful but if I had a choice between that village and London, i would pick London everytime. They could not imagine living anywhere else.
Originally Posted by Alan2005
I call bullshit.
I'm very late to the party here, and I haven't read the intervening posts, but these contributions from britsnake are among (the top) most venal, disgusting and stupid posts I've read in the 6 years I've been on the forum.
I wish it were.

I know many black people who were brought up in Yorkshire and their experience was not like I described. I am not trying to generalise and say all people from yorkshire are ignorant and narrow minded.

I don't remember the name of the village though I do know it was relatively close to a place called Whitby and Scarborough in North yorkshire. I could ask my friend if she remembers and you can go and check it out yourself. Though it was about 20 years ago, I doubt much has changed.
Old Feb 23rd 2011, 12:41 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

I don't remember the name of the village
Brigadoon.
Old Feb 23rd 2011, 1:41 am
Just Joined

annakate28 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Jingsamichty
It's quite amazing, isn't it, how different people percieve the same things.

We visited London this summer, first time back since we lived there over 10 years ago. My first impressions were those of cleanliness, vibrancy, prosperity, but most of all, energy, energy, energy! This sights, the sounds, the noises, the smells, the colours, the people... it all made you feel like you were alive and part of a city that was full of life and raring to get on with life. The diversity of being able to go from somewhere vibrant and lively like Brixton to somewhere classical and serious - so completely different - like Westminster within a mile or two is so refreshing.

The English countryside remains, as AX said upthread, beautiful and idyllic.

In contrast, on our return to Calgary, we were struck by the sterility and homogeneity and insularity of life here.

Even though I'm still going to be working here, I genuinely can't wait to get back to the UK to live.
I was back in the UK for 2 weeks over Christmas after a year in Canada and I must say, I love the UK and I love Canada. I loved London - crisp and snowy - was there for 3 days and I loved rural(ish) North West England - I was there for a week and I loved the West coast of Scotland - I was there for 5 days. HOWEVER, I also love Toronto. I am completely clueless. We have a better standard of living here - we earn more for starts and there's more space (we were in Leeds city centre before) but I miss the homey-ness of England, some little things - familiarity of the TV stations, the Sunday papers, Asda (to name but a few) and some big things - all my family are there. I just don't know right now. We're sending chunks back to pay off our UK mortgage (with the good exchange rate) so we'll probably just carry on until the exchange rate worsens or perhaps (horrid though it is to think) my grandparents will start to get ill (all are still alive and 1 frequently guilt trips me about being away). I couldn't bear to be away if they were seriously unwell.
Old Feb 23rd 2011, 1:50 am

dboy is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by elfman
This is possibly the stupidest thing I've read on BE in a very long time. So these Yorkshire people 20 years ago who thought black people on Eastenders were made up: if they had access to the BBC then might they have seen other stuff like, oh, I don't know, the 1992 Olympics? the 1990 world cup? Did they also think people like John Barnes and Linford Christie were "made up"? Perhaps literally? Did they think that half the athletes and sports stars on telly were white people in blackface?
depends how long ago the poster is talking about. My mum told me about the first time she saw a black person, he was the bin man and me mam did n't know what to think having never seen one before and eventully plucked up the courage to ask him...he was from London! of course this was back in the 1940s
Old Feb 23rd 2011, 1:59 am
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dboy
depends how long ago the poster is talking about. My mum told me about the first time she saw a black person, he was the bin man and me mam did n't know what to think having never seen one before and eventully plucked up the courage to ask him...he was from London! of course this was back in the 1940s
Yes, yes. Us older folk can even have first hand memories of such things. Like the Spanish onion man pushing his onion laden bike through the village in his stripy tee-shirt (I may be making that up). Also he might have been French.

That was in the 1950's for chrissake. Ze world hass mouved onn.
Old Feb 23rd 2011, 2:00 am

Originally Posted by mandymoochops
A this time I would like to ask some of the prairie police force (if there are any on this board) to comment on the 'indegenous' native reserves and their levels of crime relating to drink and anti social behaviour.

It's EVERYWHERE - why don't people realise this???????

Resereves are no different to council estates - there are some good decent people on both and a lot that bring a bad reputation. It's just that Canada os so bloody massive that the issues are more spread out.

You plump the population of Canada on an Island the size of Britain and you will have EXACTLY the same 'problems' - no thats the wrong word - diverse mix of haves / have nots / goods / bads / immigrants / cradles etc.

Relocating to Nova Scotia I would think is like relocating to Lands End- but cheaper. And further way. And with more severe weather.

Can someone put what i'm trying to say in a more eloquent way please?????
Well i am a copper and am responsible for the entire province of BC. Yes alcohol use is a problem in native communities but it is compeltely different to the UK where it is just about everywhere. Native alcohol abuse tends to be a behind doors kids of a problem not down at end of council estate or near the chippy with a bottle of wood pecker cider.

As a copper i have experienced way, way, way less issues surrounding alcohol and kids tend to be much more respectful. Vancouver is as large an area as most brit cities and again, way less issues around booze.
Old Feb 23rd 2011, 2:46 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

I suppose it's possible that people in isolated places had not met a black person, but can we really credit that they did not believe they existed?
Old Feb 23rd 2011, 2:51 am

Originally Posted by Sally Redux
I suppose it's possible that people in isolated places had not met a black person, but can we really credit that they did not believe they existed?
my mother didn;t know, although we are talking about a different era, no tv etc, and a much more insular life.
Old Feb 23rd 2011, 3:00 am
Born again atheist

Well i am a copper and am responsible for the entire province of BC.
Shouldn't you have help? Seems only reasonable.
Old Feb 23rd 2011, 5:40 am
Sawdust making harpy

mandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Novocastrian
Shouldn't you have help? Seems only reasonable.
Doesn't seem really neccesary - this isn't Britain you know ()
Old Feb 23rd 2011, 7:28 am
Éireann go Brách

Londonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dotty P
I love Dave Lamb....
I watched the Aussie one the other day. Usual freaks and attention seekers. Only trouble is, no Dave Lamb. He is the programme!
Old Feb 23rd 2011, 8:16 am

lmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by fuzzbottle
The biggest problem we unfortunately now have in the UK is alcohol, feral kids and the welfare state. !
I'm astounded that a police officer could post something like this.
Old Feb 23rd 2011, 8:21 am

lmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by eyeoftheocean
The Native people of Canada ( NOT ALL) have drinking problems , however, I guess this is down the fact that with them being native to Canada the gov here have given them the tax free right .so buying booze to them is so cheap thats why theres such a problem with drunkeness in the native areas.
I actually think this is the most offensive post I have ever read on this forum. It is far beyond mere ignorance. Do you know anything at all about aboriginal/First Nations people in Canada? To suggest alcoholism is a problem because of some tax free benefit is beyond appalling. I don't know where you presently live, but I hope to god you have not and never will be admitted to Canada. We deserve better.

Last edited by lmartin999; Feb 23rd 2011 at 8:34 am.
Old Feb 23rd 2011, 8:30 am

Originally Posted by billybones
Totally agree! I am amazed at the bickering, bitching and finger pointing on this forum. I have been labelled a racist and a sexist by a complete stranger, and judged as worse and provoked by others..
You will find I labeled your comments as racist and sexist, which I believe they were. Whether that makes you a racist I don't know and don't really care. I am starting to think that admission to Canada, with its commitment to tolerance and diversity, should require some kind of requirement for immigrants to display the same. It seems a peculiarly nasty trait among some Brits to feel threatened by people who don't speak English as a first language. To describe people as 'foreigners' on the basis of the language they are speaking is racist or at the least xenophobic. I would suggest that there are many English who don't speak English at all - though perhaps you wouldn't consider them 'real' English? I find the diversity of culture, language and thus of what being Canadian is to be one of the great strengths of Toronto. I love travelling on the bus with people (not caring whether they are Canadian) and hearing many different languages. Diversity is a wonderful thing, not something to be scared by and objected to.

Last edited by lmartin999; Feb 23rd 2011 at 8:33 am.
Old Feb 23rd 2011, 8:36 am
So near yet so far.......

Rubie has a brilliant futureRubie has a brilliant futureRubie has a brilliant futureRubie has a brilliant futureRubie has a brilliant futureRubie has a brilliant futureRubie has a brilliant futureRubie has a brilliant future

deleted that last post Im not getting drawn into this just quittin the site!
I've dipped in and out of this thread and haven't read every single post but get the impression that its direction is going downhill.

This site is usually a fantastic source of support and information (banter included) and I think it is a shame that someone has apparently been hounded off it!!

Don't go billyb! I got the jist of the points you were trying to make in your original post and most threads do not end up like this!

Last edited by Rubie; Feb 23rd 2011 at 8:37 am. Reason: typos

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.