Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

for all of those thinking of returning to the uk

for all of those thinking of returning to the uk

Old Feb 22nd 2011, 10:06 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: for all of those thinking of returning to the uk

Originally Posted by JamesM
I remember that show.

The girl was from the Isle of Mann and had grown up on a farm.
Oh that explains it - blacks are probably illegal there as well as gays.
Old Feb 22nd 2011, 10:52 pm
no I aint

Flogger has a reputation beyond reputeFlogger has a reputation beyond reputeFlogger has a reputation beyond reputeFlogger has a reputation beyond reputeFlogger has a reputation beyond reputeFlogger has a reputation beyond reputeFlogger has a reputation beyond reputeFlogger has a reputation beyond reputeFlogger has a reputation beyond reputeFlogger has a reputation beyond reputeFlogger has a reputation beyond repute

I have alot of family from the very tip of Scotland (about 5 miles from John o groats). My cousin came down to visit when he was around 10 years old. Until this point he had genuinely never seen a black person before. At no stage did he believe however that they were made up by tv companies.
Old Feb 22nd 2011, 10:53 pm
Dive Bar Drunk

JamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sally Redux
Oh that explains it - blacks are probably illegal there as well as gays.
Low taxation......

Like Britain in the good old days before we all left................
Old Feb 22nd 2011, 11:04 pm
Just Joined

fuzzbottle will become famous soon enoughfuzzbottle will become famous soon enough

I do feel sorry for the person who posted this thread as I think their comments have been hijacked by people with other agendas and have become quoted out of context. As someone who is considering leaving the UK for Nova Scotia, the reasons that they are uncomfortable in the UK having spent time away are the tip of the iceberg. I am just about to complete 30 years Police Service, 11 years in London and the rest In Dorset. I left London with a young family for greener pastures, and in the main things have been good. The biggest problem we unfortunately now have in the UK is alcohol, feral kids and the welfare state. I know its been flogged to death in the media, but the way we treat alcohol in the UK is like nothing anywhere else in the world. I speak to colleagues all over the world as a member of the Police Federation and International Police Association and they have nowhere near the level of drunken Anti Social Behaviour, except in parts of New Zealand and OZ ( its a bit complicated there with the indigenous aboriginal people but things are improving) 24 hour licensing has failed, why should our emergency services still have to deal with alcohol related mayhem at 4 am, daily? The welfare state in the UK was quoted today in the press as costing 194 billion yes billion!!! pounds Education 89 billion Defence 40 billion...So there we are, we spend more on looking after feckless terminally unemployed wastrels than we do on education. I am running out of room. UK PLC Big Society MY ARSE!!
Old Feb 22nd 2011, 11:23 pm
Account Closed

eyeoftheocean is an unknown quantity at this point

I do believe too that teenage girls are top of the list for drinking way to much ! Since I moved to Canada , I have noticed the huge difference between teenagers here and UK ...theres a huge parenting difference too. Teenagers here seem to have far more time at school or after school clubs , music lessons are very big here , and where I come from in UK teenagers wernt happy if they wernt out steeling cars and setting fires to them ! many were my kids friends from school ...and almost every night the fire men would come to put out the cars on fire in the field at the back of where I lived...I think alcohol in England is way to cheap to buy, here its very y expensive and only the liqour boards of onatrio sell it , so the gov know how much beer they are selling, also the age limit here is 19 ..I think England & UK should smarten up with the price of alcohol and the age limit of drinking and have families doing more family things rather than sat in pubs teaching kids drinking is not a problem.

Last edited by eyeoftheocean; Feb 22nd 2011 at 11:26 pm.
Old Feb 22nd 2011, 11:25 pm
Sawdust making harpy

mandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by fuzzbottle
I do feel sorry for the person who posted this thread as I think their comments have been hijacked by people with other agendas and have become quoted out of context. As someone who is considering leaving the UK for Nova Scotia, the reasons that they are uncomfortable in the UK having spent time away are the tip of the iceberg. I am just about to complete 30 years Police Service, 11 years in London and the rest In Dorset. I left London with a young family for greener pastures, and in the main things have been good. The biggest problem we unfortunately now have in the UK is alcohol, feral kids and the welfare state. I know its been flogged to death in the media, but the way we treat alcohol in the UK is like nothing anywhere else in the world. I speak to colleagues all over the world as a member of the Police Federation and International Police Association and they have nowhere near the level of drunken Anti Social Behaviour, except in parts of New Zealand and OZ ( its a bit complicated there with the indigenous aboriginal people but things are improving) 24 hour licensing has failed, why should our emergency services still have to deal with alcohol related mayhem at 4 am, daily? The welfare state in the UK was quoted today in the press as costing 194 billion yes billion!!! pounds Education 89 billion Defence 40 billion...So there we are, we spend more on looking after feckless terminally unemployed wastrels than we do on education. I am running out of room. UK PLC Big Society MY ARSE!!
A this time I would like to ask some of the prairie police force (if there are any on this board) to comment on the 'indegenous' native reserves and their levels of crime relating to drink and anti social behaviour.

It's EVERYWHERE - why don't people realise this???????

Resereves are no different to council estates - there are some good decent people on both and a lot that bring a bad reputation. It's just that Canada os so bloody massive that the issues are more spread out.

You plump the population of Canada on an Island the size of Britain and you will have EXACTLY the same 'problems' - no thats the wrong word - diverse mix of haves / have nots / goods / bads / immigrants / cradles etc.

Relocating to Nova Scotia I would think is like relocating to Lands End- but cheaper. And further way. And with more severe weather.

Can someone put what i'm trying to say in a more eloquent way please?????
Old Feb 22nd 2011, 11:29 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by mandymoochops
A this time I would like to ask some of the prairie police force (if there are any on this board) to comment on the 'indegenous' native reserves and their levels of crime relating to drink and anti social behaviour.

It's EVERYWHERE - why don't people realise this???????

Resereves are no different to council estates - there are some good decent people on both and a lot that bring a bad reputation. It's just that Canada os so bloody massive that the issues are more spread out.

You plump the population of Canada on an Island the size of Britain and you will have EXACTLY the same 'problems' - no thats the wrong word - diverse mix of haves / have nots / goods / bads / immigrants / cradles etc.

Relocating to Nova Scotia I would think is like relocating to Lands End- but cheaper. And further way. And with more severe weather.

Can someone put what i'm trying to say in a more eloquent way please?????
The Native people of Canada ( NOT ALL) have drinking problems , however, I guess this is down the fact that with them being native to Canada the gov here have given them the tax free right .so buying booze to them is so cheap thats why theres such a problem with drunkeness in the native areas.
Old Feb 22nd 2011, 11:36 pm
Dive Bar Drunk

JamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond repute

The welfare state in Canada is great.

In England I got £560 (barely $900) (jobseekers and housing benefit) whilst job searching which didn't even cover my rent. Not only did I have to stress about finding a job but they had the audacity to make me go to a job center and explain what I had been doing to find a job before signing off on the money. They also made me register for housing benefit and jump through all sorts of red tape loops.

In Toronto I get $1800 per month whilst job searching and all I have to do is log in online every two weeks and tick a box saying I've been looking. My only regret was moving to an $1100 per month condo if I'd stayed in my old one at $450 I wouldn't have to bother looking for a job. Murphy is a b*st**d!

Welfare in Canada is great.
Old Feb 22nd 2011, 11:39 pm
Seasoned Maritimer

Tangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by eyeoftheocean
The Native people of Canada ( NOT ALL) have drinking problems , however, I guess this is down the fact that with them being native to Canada the gov here have given them the tax free right .so buying booze to them is so cheap thats why theres such a problem with drunkeness in the native areas.
I find that extremely offensive and not just because my cousins are First Nation Maliseet.
Old Feb 22nd 2011, 11:42 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Tangram
I find that extremely offensive and not just because my cousins are First Nation Maliseet.
You will find , I said NOT ALL !! and its not just NATIVE people !! but there are huge problems in these areas and the police no it. didnt want to insult anyone I am meerly stating facts of life.
Old Feb 22nd 2011, 11:45 pm
Sawdust making harpy

mandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by eyeoftheocean
whatever the reason is for it I was trying to point out that there are sections of anyones society that are at the wrong end of the stick with peoples opinions.

Absolutely don't know enough about it to form a comment - after all - I live in redneck central - I highly doubt the views of 90% of my neighbours are well informed educated ones.

Here's a GREAT example - one of the local councillors (been there for ages well respected) is an extended family member.

At a BBQ last year he was waffling on about something that tweaked on the memory strings from reading on here. He then proceeds to pull out an email that another council member had set him and read it to me.

It was that completely fake one about about the Aussie prime minister and what he had apparently said about immigrants to Australia. Most of you will remember it.

I took a sip of my beer and said "um seriously - before you start handing this out and saying "why can't Canada be like this", as a councillor you should realise that you need to research anything that comes to you before making an opinion. This was a spam / fake email and if people in the 'right' circles heard you saying this you would be in a whole heap of trouble".

He didn't reply to this and seemed a bit sheepish for the rest of the day.
Old Feb 23rd 2011, 12:02 am
Account Closed

billybones is an unknown quantity at this point

I do feel sorry for the person who posted this thread as I think their comments have been hijacked by people with other agendas and have become quoted out of context.
Totally agree! I am amazed at the bickering, bitching and finger pointing on this forum. I have been labelled a racist and a sexist by a complete stranger, and judged as worse and provoked by others. ( I know exactly whats coming next.. some twat is going to quote me and try to start some shit! I thought it was a place where ex pats and people in similar circumstances could share their experiences and help each other. Having now taken the time to read many other posts on here, it is clear that this obtrusive behavior has been going on quite a while and caused people to leave this site. I would hope the moderators will take a look into what is going on here because I for one will not tolerate the comments of the troublemakers on here.
I am happy to say that I have received some private messages of support, but this also reinforces the fact that some people may not be comfortable posting their feelings publicly on here for fear of attack. (bring it on now idiots your so sad)!

PS I am NOT referring to the guys having a laugh and joke, that is exactly what I wanted to see on here, or the people off topic, no problem with that just hate the people that hide behind their computer screens attacking or antagonizing others, not particularly bad on this thread but has been terrible on some of the other threads I have read.

Last edited by Sue; Feb 23rd 2011 at 11:21 am. Reason: unfinished
Old Feb 23rd 2011, 12:23 am
Sawdust making harpy

Originally Posted by billybones
I do feel sorry for the person who posted this thread as I think their comments have been hijacked by people with other agendas and have become quoted out of context.
Totally agree! I am amazed at the bickering, bitching and finger pointing on this forum. I have been labelled a racist and a sexist by a complete stranger, and judged as worse and provoked by others. ( I know exactly whats coming next.. some twat is going to quote me and try to start some shit! this isn't a city centre pub you knowI thought it was a place where ex pats and people in similar circumstances could share their experiences and help each other. Having now taken the time to read many other posts on here, it is clear that this obtrusive behavior has been going on quite a while and caused people to leave this site. I would hope the moderators will take a look into what is going on here because I for one will not tolerate the comments of the troublemakers on here. I'm sorry but I have to LMAO at this
I am happy to say that I have received some private messages of support, but this also reinforces the fact that some people may not be comfortable posting their feelings publicly on here for fear of attack. (bring it on now idiots your so sad)! ahh the old "I've had lots of private messages" quote

PS I am NOT referring to the guys having a laugh and joke, that is exactly what I wanted to see on here.
Listen I understand you are p****d off - call it intuition , but what you have to also remember is that you are not the only one to get slated for something that you may or may not have said.

It's happened to all of us more times than you, just suck it up and move on. (and before you say "yeah but they called me this that and the other" "they" have called me that and then some. It's a discussion forum.

You really wanna see some sh*t then i'll start a hunting thread again - you will realise that you got off lightly
Old Feb 23rd 2011, 12:29 am

Alan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by billybones
I am happy to say that I have received some private messages of support, but this also reinforces the fact that some people may not be comfortable posting their feelings publicly on here for fear of attack. (bring it on now idiots your so sad)!
Typical forum mind games....
Old Feb 23rd 2011, 12:31 am
Account Closed

billybones is an unknown quantity at this point

deleted that last post Im not getting drawn into this just quittin the site!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.