Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

for all of those thinking of returning to the uk

for all of those thinking of returning to the uk

Old Feb 22nd 2011, 7:08 pm
BE Forum Addict

rubberduckofdeath has a reputation beyond reputerubberduckofdeath has a reputation beyond reputerubberduckofdeath has a reputation beyond reputerubberduckofdeath has a reputation beyond reputerubberduckofdeath has a reputation beyond reputerubberduckofdeath has a reputation beyond reputerubberduckofdeath has a reputation beyond reputerubberduckofdeath has a reputation beyond reputerubberduckofdeath has a reputation beyond reputerubberduckofdeath has a reputation beyond reputerubberduckofdeath has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: for all of those thinking of returning to the uk

Originally Posted by helcat12
We have lived in the South - West Sussex and Surrey - we both hated it.
Too expensive?

People with an overbearing sense of entitlement?

General rudeness?

Too much traffic?

Yeah, all of the above.
Old Feb 22nd 2011, 7:11 pm
Island life at last

helcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rubberduckofdeath
Too expensive?

General rudeness?

Too much traffic?

Yeah, all of the above.
You forgot crap, expensive beer
Old Feb 22nd 2011, 7:12 pm
BE Forum Addict

rubberduckofdeath has a reputation beyond reputerubberduckofdeath has a reputation beyond reputerubberduckofdeath has a reputation beyond reputerubberduckofdeath has a reputation beyond reputerubberduckofdeath has a reputation beyond reputerubberduckofdeath has a reputation beyond reputerubberduckofdeath has a reputation beyond reputerubberduckofdeath has a reputation beyond reputerubberduckofdeath has a reputation beyond reputerubberduckofdeath has a reputation beyond reputerubberduckofdeath has a reputation beyond repute

You forgot crap, expensive beer
Hmm, I live in the Guildford area and I don't agree with that one...

The rest, yeah!
Old Feb 22nd 2011, 7:20 pm

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

Too expensive?

General rudeness?

Too much traffic?

Yeah, all of the above.
Or. . .

Educated

Well nourished

Gainfully employed

Environmentally conscious

Have their own teeth

And are not smelly social benefit collecting wastrels.
Old Feb 22nd 2011, 7:22 pm
Account Closed

billybones is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Mr. Numbers
Well, if it's in the Telegraph it MUST be true!
These are government figures published in the telegraph therefore FACT!
Old Feb 22nd 2011, 7:29 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Oink
Or. . .

Educated

Well nourished

Gainfully employed

Environmentally conscious

Have their own teeth

And are not smelly social benefit collecting wastrels.
Not so sure about that list, we've got our fair share of undesirables, trust me.
Old Feb 22nd 2011, 7:41 pm
Sawdust making harpy

mandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond repute

can I just add something?

There was a show on tele in the UK agaes ago (10 - years or so?) about girls who did life swaps - ie super rich socialite and Western Super Mare toilet cleaner stepped in each others shoes for the week.

Iwatched it because it was funny to see how the 'haves' were completely appalled at the have nots lives.

There was one episode where one of these socialites (18 / 19 or so) lived in a posh swanky hotel on her own because her super rich parents travelled all over the word. She spent her life shopping / partying etc in London.

The girl she swapped with lived on one of those little islands off Scotland (forgive my ignorance in geography and shocking memory) she had lived there all her life with her family and about 3 other families on this island and they were farmers - can't recall about schooling or anything but she was very out of the loop.

When she got to London and the cameras were with her in the taxi aside from being totally scared to death at the very size of the place and the amount of people she did actually state that she didn't realise black people lived in this country although she had seen it on the tv, she couldn't quite comprehend that it was true.

So i'm not calling bullshit on britsnakes story 100% - there are parts of the British Isles that are 'removed' from the day to day - and I suppose it's easy for them to deny something is true if they don't see it with their own eyes.

I'm sure theres even a clip on you tube if I could be arsed to look for it.
Old Feb 22nd 2011, 7:45 pm
BE Enthusiast

britsnake has a reputation beyond reputebritsnake has a reputation beyond reputebritsnake has a reputation beyond reputebritsnake has a reputation beyond reputebritsnake has a reputation beyond reputebritsnake has a reputation beyond reputebritsnake has a reputation beyond reputebritsnake has a reputation beyond reputebritsnake has a reputation beyond reputebritsnake has a reputation beyond reputebritsnake has a reputation beyond repute

I will add some additional information to my previous post. My friend was 10 years old when she had this experience and the people making these comments and touching her hair were children. If the parents knew better they did not take the time to teach their children.
Old Feb 22nd 2011, 7:50 pm
Island life at last

helcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond repute

Hmm, I live in the Guildford area and I don't agree with that one...

The rest, yeah!
If you can afford to live there, Rbd, then of course the beer doesn't seem expensive.
You probably clean your teeth with a gold toothpick, soak your bunions in the Cristal and wear pants sewn from the silk of albino silkworms, stitched by Vestal virgins who have only ever eaten veal and fois gras.
Old Feb 22nd 2011, 7:53 pm
Forum Regular

Mr. Numbers is just really niceMr. Numbers is just really niceMr. Numbers is just really niceMr. Numbers is just really niceMr. Numbers is just really niceMr. Numbers is just really niceMr. Numbers is just really niceMr. Numbers is just really niceMr. Numbers is just really nice

Originally Posted by billybones
These are government figures published in the telegraph therefore FACT!
Well, if they're Government figures they must be true!

I'm not disputing the 850% particularly, but along with Atlantic Xpat I was looking at the context of it. If arrests/convictions of EU immigrants rose by 850%, then if overall migration rose by 1,000% that's actually a good return. Alternatively, if arrest/convictions rose from 1 to 85, that's an 850% increase but who cares in real terms if only 85 people got in trouble in the grand scheme of things?

Crude and unlikely examples I know, but the context of this "fact" (I still haven't seen the evidence!) is important, no? Particularly if a right-wing paper such as the Telegraph is putting their slant on it...
Old Feb 22nd 2011, 7:55 pm
BE Forum Addict

If you can afford to live there, Rbd, then of course the beer doesn't seem expensive.
You probably clean your teeth with a gold toothpick, soak your bunions in the Cristal and wear pants sewn from the silk of albino silkworms, stitched by Vestal virgins who have only ever eaten veal and fois gras.
All of the above is true, sadly.

Old Feb 22nd 2011, 8:03 pm
Dive Bar Drunk

JamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mandymoochops
can I just add something?

There was a show on tele in the UK agaes ago (10 - years or so?) about girls who did life swaps - ie super rich socialite and Western Super Mare toilet cleaner stepped in each others shoes for the week.

Iwatched it because it was funny to see how the 'haves' were completely appalled at the have nots lives.

There was one episode where one of these socialites (18 / 19 or so) lived in a posh swanky hotel on her own because her super rich parents travelled all over the word. She spent her life shopping / partying etc in London.

The girl she swapped with lived on one of those little islands off Scotland (forgive my ignorance in geography and shocking memory) she had lived there all her life with her family and about 3 other families on this island and they were farmers - can't recall about schooling or anything but she was very out of the loop.

When she got to London and the cameras were with her in the taxi aside from being totally scared to death at the very size of the place and the amount of people she did actually state that she didn't realise black people lived in this country although she had seen it on the tv, she couldn't quite comprehend that it was true.

So i'm not calling bullshit on britsnakes story 100% - there are parts of the British Isles that are 'removed' from the day to day - and I suppose it's easy for them to deny something is true if they don't see it with their own eyes.

I'm sure theres even a clip on you tube if I could be arsed to look for it.
I remember that show.

The girl was from the Isle of Mann and had grown up on a farm.

The socialite went to the Isle and and had to do farm work- she really hated having to pull out baby calves from their mother whilst it was giving birth.

As the taxi drifted into London the Isle girl saw black people for the first time and asked if they had their own school.

I would say more innocence than ignorance.........
Old Feb 22nd 2011, 8:06 pm
Dive Bar Drunk

JamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lmartin999
I ordered a gin and tonic once in a pub in Yorkshire. I was asked whether I would like a straw and umbrella with it. Thank god I didn't go for the very dry Belvedere Martini with a twist.

I'm watching Emmerdale Farm at the moment actually. No sign of Amos or Mr Wilkes as yet, but I'm hopeful!

The subtitles are also proving quite useful.
I really miss Panorama on a Monday night...........nothing like good old fashioned investigative journalism!
Old Feb 22nd 2011, 8:07 pm
Dive Bar Drunk

Too expensive?

General rudeness?

Too much traffic?

Yeah, all of the above.
Sounds like Toronto!
Old Feb 22nd 2011, 10:00 pm

Alan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by britsnake
I will add some additional information to my previous post. My friend was 10 years old when she had this experience and the people making these comments and touching her hair were children. If the parents knew better they did not take the time to teach their children.
I went to london once, the majority of people I met thought father christmas was real!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.