Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

for all of those thinking of returning to the uk

for all of those thinking of returning to the uk

Old Feb 22nd 2011, 5:16 pm
Forum Regular

FPE88 has much to be proud ofFPE88 has much to be proud ofFPE88 has much to be proud ofFPE88 has much to be proud ofFPE88 has much to be proud ofFPE88 has much to be proud ofFPE88 has much to be proud ofFPE88 has much to be proud ofFPE88 has much to be proud ofFPE88 has much to be proud ofFPE88 has much to be proud of
Default Re: for all of those thinking of returning to the uk

Originally Posted by britsnake
A black friend once spent some time in a village in Yorkshire. Prior to her visit, the majority had never met a black person before and didn't even know they existed. They had seen them on east enders but thought they were made up.

Every place she went people would touch her hair for luck and compare it to sheeps wool. Also when you told them you were from London, they would ask if you knew their friend who moved up there a few years previously.

Everyone in that village had pretty much been there all their life. They were ignorant and narrow minded. Where they lived was beautiful but if I had a choice between that village and London, i would pick London everytime. They could not imagine living anywhere else.
What an absolute load of garbage!

The best line,

the majority had never met a black person before and didn't even know they existed
Old Feb 22nd 2011, 5:23 pm
C'mon already

kazbob has a reputation beyond reputekazbob has a reputation beyond reputekazbob has a reputation beyond reputekazbob has a reputation beyond reputekazbob has a reputation beyond reputekazbob has a reputation beyond reputekazbob has a reputation beyond reputekazbob has a reputation beyond reputekazbob has a reputation beyond reputekazbob has a reputation beyond reputekazbob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Joe_Sleepy
A close friend of ours went to Cornwall a couple of years ago (at most)..

She's black & traveled on her own, for a week away.. She was repeatedly asked which country she was from & was asked by the guy who ran the hotel she stayed at if she was a lesbian or a widow..

She said that she was treated well & that people were really nice but that it was obvious, to her, that many had never actually seen a black woman "face to face" as it were..

She doesn't have any agenda & took all of this at face value.. She's going back to where she stayed later this year & is really looking forward to it..

An old schooled friend of mine, who is mixed race, moved to an out of the way corner of Devon around six years ago..
I asked him if his colour was ever an issue & he told me that it actually made him a minor celebrity, for a short time, amongst the locals..

I don't think there is any racism inherent in either situation but it would be naive to think that there aren't areas of the U.K. where this doesn't happen..

I met a black guy in an hotel elevator on a trip here 5/6 years ago. It turned out that he lived just down the road from me in London so we got chatting.
When he went into the Tourist Information office, on the Halifax waterfront, the nice lady recommended that he should visit the other side of the harbour as there was a lot more over there "for him to do"..
He said the penny dropped almost as soon as he & his family disembarked from the ferry,.. There were black faces walking down the road.. He laughed at this but I don't think I would have been as amused in a similar situation..
OMG, where in Cornwall did she visit? I have lived in Cornwall since 1987, I don't stay in my little area either, I travel all over and I've got to say there are plenty of black people down here.

I'm not disputing it at all as I know that some of the little villages down here are so isolated and alot of the families have lived there for generations and very rarely venture anywhere else - I know alot of people who say that they are off to 'the big city', when you say, 'oh yes, Plymouth? Exeter? Bristol', you get the reply 'no, Truro', they are deadly serious.

Shocking about the lesbian/widow thing though.
Old Feb 22nd 2011, 5:24 pm
ModerĪ±tor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

The truth is the truth even though it is hard to believe sometimes.
Quite probably there is something to be said for the anecdote in exposing the ignorance of some people, but I suspect your black friend is having a laugh at your expense, exposing more ignorance about the north-south divide than race relations in the early 1990s.

Some people will believe anything about "Up norf" (or "down west" or whatever).
Old Feb 22nd 2011, 5:24 pm
A lion in your lap

elfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond repute

A black friend once spent some time in a village in Yorkshire. Prior to her visit, the majority had never met a black person before and didn't even know they existed. They had seen them on east enders but thought they were made up.
This is possibly the stupidest thing I've read on BE in a very long time. So these Yorkshire people 20 years ago who thought black people on Eastenders were made up: if they had access to the BBC then might they have seen other stuff like, oh, I don't know, the 1992 Olympics? the 1990 world cup? Did they also think people like John Barnes and Linford Christie were "made up"? Perhaps literally? Did they think that half the athletes and sports stars on telly were white people in blackface?
Old Feb 22nd 2011, 5:26 pm

Alan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond repute

Yorkshire is a big place.

If you believe that you know every opinion held by every person in every village in Yorkshire, then you are talking out of your arse.
I don't know every opinion. But lets look at what you originally wrote, line by line.

A black friend once spent some time in a village in Yorkshire.
This is the only line that might contain a fact.

Prior to her visit, the majority had never met a black person before and didn't even know they existed.
Bollocks. The majority will have met a black person. The majority of people in yorkshire have cars and will have travelled to major cities. They will have seen black people even if none lived in the village.

They had seen them on east enders but thought they were made up.
This is complete bullshit. It doesn't even need to be debated as only an idiot would believe this to have any basis in reality. Remember you didn't state "one insane person", you said the "majority".

Every place she went people would touch her hair for luck and compare it to sheeps wool.
No they didn't.

Also when you told them you were from London, they would ask if you knew their friend who moved up there a few years previously.
Again, no they didn't. This isn't the middle ages, the vast majority of people know that London is a big place.

Basically, every sentence apart from the first is fiction on your (or your friends part). You weren't implying this was one or two isolated incidents, but her entire universal experience. Complete bullshit on every level.

I don't take issue with much on this forum, but your lies need pointing out.
Old Feb 22nd 2011, 5:28 pm
Forum Regular

FPE88 has much to be proud ofFPE88 has much to be proud ofFPE88 has much to be proud ofFPE88 has much to be proud ofFPE88 has much to be proud ofFPE88 has much to be proud ofFPE88 has much to be proud ofFPE88 has much to be proud ofFPE88 has much to be proud ofFPE88 has much to be proud ofFPE88 has much to be proud of

I cant believe what I just read, people say they are not saying that your lying but its hard to believe.

Im saying your ******* lying mate!
Old Feb 22nd 2011, 5:31 pm
ModerĪ±tor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Enough already. Time to move on people. Points made.

You know the drill by now, argue the facts, dont slip into insulting the poster.
Old Feb 22nd 2011, 5:32 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by iaink
Enough already. Time to move on people. Points made.

You know the drill by now, argue the facts, dont slip into insulting the poster.
If your willing to give, you must be willing to take. (not aimed at iaink)

But yes time to move on.
Old Feb 22nd 2011, 5:33 pm
Displaced Disgrace

Joe_Sleepy has a reputation beyond reputeJoe_Sleepy has a reputation beyond reputeJoe_Sleepy has a reputation beyond reputeJoe_Sleepy has a reputation beyond reputeJoe_Sleepy has a reputation beyond reputeJoe_Sleepy has a reputation beyond reputeJoe_Sleepy has a reputation beyond reputeJoe_Sleepy has a reputation beyond reputeJoe_Sleepy has a reputation beyond reputeJoe_Sleepy has a reputation beyond reputeJoe_Sleepy has a reputation beyond repute

I believe it was a little, out of the way place she found online..

I love Cornwall & spent every Summer there for years & years & as I said, she wasn't offended in the slightest & is going back this Summer..

As lovely as she is, she's pretty naive & not the most imaginative so I don't doubt, for a second, that's what happened to her..

..As for the Yorkshire debacle... What about Charlie Williams!?..
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Charlie...%28comedian%29
Old Feb 22nd 2011, 5:44 pm
Lowering the tone

Jingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond repute

When I moved from Dundee to London, aged 19 in 1989, I had never met a black person before.
Old Feb 22nd 2011, 5:48 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Jingsamichty
When I moved from Dundee to London, aged 19 in 1989, I had never met a black person before.
Did you know they existed?
Old Feb 22nd 2011, 5:52 pm

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

Bring it on! I love discussions about the North-South divide in the 21st century. It's such playground prejudice and so silly but its riotously good fun at the same time. I'll have a go, all Northern people eat badgers, have whippet dogs, put ferrets down their trousers and say things like "ooh oooh I got nowt fer tea."
Old Feb 22nd 2011, 5:55 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Oink
Bring it on! I love discussions about the North-South divide in the 21st century. It's such playground prejudice and so silly but its riotously good fun at the same time. I'll have a go, all Northern people eat badgers, have whippet dogs, put ferrets down their trousers and say things like "ooh oooh I got nowt fer tea."
Haha!
Old Feb 22nd 2011, 5:56 pm
Lowering the tone

Jingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by FPE88
Did you know they existed?
Yes, because we used to give 2p every week to the Black Babies collection at school.
Old Feb 22nd 2011, 5:57 pm
BE Enthusiast

britsnake has a reputation beyond reputebritsnake has a reputation beyond reputebritsnake has a reputation beyond reputebritsnake has a reputation beyond reputebritsnake has a reputation beyond reputebritsnake has a reputation beyond reputebritsnake has a reputation beyond reputebritsnake has a reputation beyond reputebritsnake has a reputation beyond reputebritsnake has a reputation beyond reputebritsnake has a reputation beyond repute

I personally have travelled up to towns and villages in the North of England where there are either no, or only a couple of black people. I have also of course been to towns where there are many.

I personally have sat in a cafe in Wigan where I was asked if I knew their friend who moved to London. It is a common question. In Wigan at the time of my visit, there were only 2 black families in the whole town.

My friend who stayed in Yorkshire was even asked if the colour came off.

There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio,
Than are dreamt of in your philosophy.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.