Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

for all of those thinking of returning to the uk

for all of those thinking of returning to the uk

Old Feb 22nd 2011, 3:52 pm
Forum Regular

FPE88 has much to be proud ofFPE88 has much to be proud ofFPE88 has much to be proud ofFPE88 has much to be proud ofFPE88 has much to be proud ofFPE88 has much to be proud ofFPE88 has much to be proud ofFPE88 has much to be proud ofFPE88 has much to be proud ofFPE88 has much to be proud ofFPE88 has much to be proud of
Default Re: for all of those thinking of returning to the uk

Originally Posted by dbd33
Is it because there aren't many flat caps, whippets or racing pigeons?
If that is a dig at the North, im not from the North but I think its great up there.
Old Feb 22nd 2011, 4:01 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by FPE88
If that is a dig at the North, im not from the North but I think its great up there.
It was rather a hackneyed cliché wasnt it, rather disappointing really for someone of dbds talent!
Old Feb 22nd 2011, 4:04 pm
Forum Regular

FPE88 has much to be proud ofFPE88 has much to be proud ofFPE88 has much to be proud ofFPE88 has much to be proud ofFPE88 has much to be proud ofFPE88 has much to be proud ofFPE88 has much to be proud ofFPE88 has much to be proud ofFPE88 has much to be proud ofFPE88 has much to be proud ofFPE88 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by iaink
It was rather a hackneyed cliché wasnt it, rather disappointing really for someone of dbds talent!
I agree, just because 1 person does not like London.

Lots of people love London its just my opinion.
Old Feb 22nd 2011, 4:07 pm
BE Enthusiast

britsnake has a reputation beyond reputebritsnake has a reputation beyond reputebritsnake has a reputation beyond reputebritsnake has a reputation beyond reputebritsnake has a reputation beyond reputebritsnake has a reputation beyond reputebritsnake has a reputation beyond reputebritsnake has a reputation beyond reputebritsnake has a reputation beyond reputebritsnake has a reputation beyond reputebritsnake has a reputation beyond repute

A black friend once spent some time in a village in Yorkshire. Prior to her visit, the majority had never met a black person before and didn't even know they existed. They had seen them on east enders but thought they were made up.

Every place she went people would touch her hair for luck and compare it to sheeps wool. Also when you told them you were from London, they would ask if you knew their friend who moved up there a few years previously.

Everyone in that village had pretty much been there all their life. They were ignorant and narrow minded. Where they lived was beautiful but if I had a choice between that village and London, i would pick London everytime. They could not imagine living anywhere else.
Old Feb 22nd 2011, 4:08 pm

Alan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mr. Numbers
I would say that you can't rely on any one source of information in isolation. Not even the sources mentioned above. Everything should be taken with an air of scepticism - some "facts" are easier to prove than others, and that's why newspapers have an apology or two for mis-information in many editions.
The major news agencies rarely make mistakes, they can be trusted to be factually accurate and without bias. That's AFP, Reuters etc. I'm with dbd on this, the quality newspapers in the UK can also be trusted to get the facts right and generally will separate opinion from news. The BBC also does a good job though lacks depth now-a-days.

It's easy to affect cynicism about media sources; but there is no basis for it, at least with the sources listed above.

Obviously this changes if you only ever watch north american news media. Only the other week, I saw global news reporting that mubarak had stepped down a full four days before he actually did. I knew it hadn't happened yet as it wasn't on the BBC.
Old Feb 22nd 2011, 4:10 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

God I hope thats supposed to be ironic or something, cos nowhere Ive ever been in Yorkshire was like that, and I spent 7 years in Leeds travelling all over Gods own count(r)y.
Old Feb 22nd 2011, 4:13 pm

Alan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by britsnake
A black friend once spent some time in a village in Yorkshire. Prior to her visit, the majority had never met a black person before and didn't even know they existed. They had seen them on east enders but thought they were made up.

Every place she went people would touch her hair for luck and compare it to sheeps wool. Also when you told them you were from London, they would ask if you knew their friend who moved up there a few years previously.

Everyone in that village had pretty much been there all their life. They were ignorant and narrow minded. Where they lived was beautiful but if I had a choice between that village and London, i would pick London everytime. They could not imagine living anywhere else.
I call bullshit.
Old Feb 22nd 2011, 4:31 pm
BE Enthusiast

britsnake has a reputation beyond reputebritsnake has a reputation beyond reputebritsnake has a reputation beyond reputebritsnake has a reputation beyond reputebritsnake has a reputation beyond reputebritsnake has a reputation beyond reputebritsnake has a reputation beyond reputebritsnake has a reputation beyond reputebritsnake has a reputation beyond reputebritsnake has a reputation beyond reputebritsnake has a reputation beyond repute

I wish it were.

I know many black people who were brought up in Yorkshire and their experience was not like I described. I am not trying to generalise and say all people from yorkshire are ignorant and narrow minded.

I don't remember the name of the village though I do know it was relatively close to a place called Whitby and Scarborough in North yorkshire. I could ask my friend if she remembers and you can go and check it out yourself. Though it was about 20 years ago, I doubt much has changed.
Old Feb 22nd 2011, 4:39 pm
Cheesy Grin :-)

Dotty P is a glorious beacon of lightDotty P is a glorious beacon of lightDotty P is a glorious beacon of lightDotty P is a glorious beacon of lightDotty P is a glorious beacon of lightDotty P is a glorious beacon of lightDotty P is a glorious beacon of lightDotty P is a glorious beacon of lightDotty P is a glorious beacon of lightDotty P is a glorious beacon of lightDotty P is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Londonuck
Come dine with me at 5!
I love Dave Lamb....
Old Feb 22nd 2011, 4:42 pm

I wish it were.

I know many black people who were brought up in Yorkshire and their experience was not like I described. I am not trying to generalise and say all people from yorkshire are ignorant and narrow minded.

I don't remember the name of the village though I do know it was relatively close to a place called Whitby and Scarborough in North yorkshire. I could ask my friend if she remembers and you can go and check it out yourself. Though it was about 20 years ago, I doubt much has changed.
20 years ago was 1991. Are you seriously claiming that there were people in yorkshire at that time that thought black people were made up? I'm sorry, but your post is complete bollocks.
Old Feb 22nd 2011, 4:48 pm
BE Enthusiast

I have met people who think the holocast was made up.
I have met people who think that Global warming is a left wing plot.
I have met people who think that George Bush and the Queen are are aliens who eat human flesh and can provide me with video evidence of it.

When it comes to what people can believe nothing surprises me. If it does you, then maybe you need to open your eyes a bit.
Old Feb 22nd 2011, 4:49 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

I have met people who think that George Bush and the Queen are are aliens who eat human flesh and can provide me with video evidence of it.

When it comes to what people can believe nothing surprises me. If it does you, then maybe you need to open your eyes a bit.
yeah, but YOU were offering the "never seen a black person" thing here as proof of how ignorant the north can be (or something), so which of the above groups are you in

Now, if it had been Devon or something then I could have bought into it... <ducks and runs for cover>

Last edited by iaink; Feb 22nd 2011 at 5:17 pm.
Old Feb 22nd 2011, 4:59 pm

Well, if you honestly believe the crap you posted maybe I should. Come on, think about what you wrote. "They thought that black people were made up and didn't exist except in eastenders".

There is racism, and plenty of it. But I was living in yorkshire at that time and I know for a 100% verifiable fact that you are talking out of your arse.
Old Feb 22nd 2011, 5:10 pm
BE Enthusiast

Yorkshire is a big place.

If you believe that you know every opinion held by every person in every village in Yorkshire, then you are talking out of your arse.

There is racism in yorkshire as there is in most places. There are ignorant and narrow minded people in Yorkshire as there are in most place. I have not been to every part of yorkshire just a few small parts. Though friendly, they often had a North / South Chip on their shoulders which i usually tried to skate carefully aaround.

I know people who were bought up in Germany during the second wprld war and they told me that when they heard stories of death camps they did not believe that it was possible. They lived there it just could not be true. The Nazis were good people who would help old ladies across the street. Some of them still do not believe it.

The truth is the truth even though it is hard to believe sometimes.
Old Feb 22nd 2011, 5:11 pm
Displaced Disgrace

Joe_Sleepy has a reputation beyond reputeJoe_Sleepy has a reputation beyond reputeJoe_Sleepy has a reputation beyond reputeJoe_Sleepy has a reputation beyond reputeJoe_Sleepy has a reputation beyond reputeJoe_Sleepy has a reputation beyond reputeJoe_Sleepy has a reputation beyond reputeJoe_Sleepy has a reputation beyond reputeJoe_Sleepy has a reputation beyond reputeJoe_Sleepy has a reputation beyond reputeJoe_Sleepy has a reputation beyond repute

A close friend of ours went to Cornwall a couple of years ago (at most)..

She's black & traveled on her own, for a week away.. She was repeatedly asked which country she was from & was asked by the guy who ran the hotel she stayed at if she was a lesbian or a widow..

She said that she was treated well & that people were really nice but that it was obvious, to her, that many had never actually seen a black woman "face to face" as it were..

She doesn't have any agenda & took all of this at face value.. She's going back to where she stayed later this year & is really looking forward to it..

An old schooled friend of mine, who is mixed race, moved to an out of the way corner of Devon around six years ago..
I asked him if his colour was ever an issue & he told me that it actually made him a minor celebrity, for a short time, amongst the locals..

I don't think there is any racism inherent in either situation but it would be naive to think that there aren't areas of the U.K. where this doesn't happen..

I met a black guy in an hotel elevator on a trip here 5/6 years ago. It turned out that he lived just down the road from me in London so we got chatting.
When he went into the Tourist Information office, on the Halifax waterfront, the nice lady recommended that he should visit the other side of the harbour as there was a lot more over there "for him to do"..
He said the penny dropped almost as soon as he & his family disembarked from the ferry,.. There were black faces walking down the road.. He laughed at this but I don't think I would have been as amused in a similar situation..

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.