Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Alexander Peter Wealth Management: any comments?

Alexander Peter Wealth Management: any comments?

Old Mar 30th 2019, 5:19 pm
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Alexander Peter Wealth Management: any comments?

I would recommend NOT using offshore - you are not protected!!
Old Mar 30th 2019, 6:52 pm
BE Forum Addict

Hurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond repute

Honestly, unless there is some sort of burning hurry / retirement imperative, I would wait until such time as a Canadian scheme re-appears which is recognised under ROPS. I am surprised that Canadian providers have taken this long personally!
Old Mar 31st 2019, 5:45 am
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Hurlabrick
Honestly, unless there is some sort of burning hurry / retirement imperative, I would wait until such time as a Canadian scheme re-appears which is recognised under ROPS. I am surprised that Canadian providers have taken this long personally!
+1 !!!
Old Mar 31st 2019, 6:22 pm
Forum Regular

Johnboyuk is a glorious beacon of lightJohnboyuk is a glorious beacon of lightJohnboyuk is a glorious beacon of lightJohnboyuk is a glorious beacon of lightJohnboyuk is a glorious beacon of lightJohnboyuk is a glorious beacon of lightJohnboyuk is a glorious beacon of lightJohnboyuk is a glorious beacon of lightJohnboyuk is a glorious beacon of lightJohnboyuk is a glorious beacon of lightJohnboyuk is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Siouxie
You are not protected by the UK Financial Services Compensation Scheme but you would be protected by the compensation scheme for the country where you invest, this is how it works internationally. Like the ones in Jersey and Malta as examples. Canada is not the be all and end all of pension fund management either. Ask the 16,000 ex-Sears employees.

https://www.gov.je/industry/finance/...ges/index.aspx

https://www.compensationschemes.org.mt/

Last edited by Johnboyuk; Mar 31st 2019 at 6:36 pm.
Old Apr 1st 2019, 2:17 am
BE Enthusiast

Tumbling_Dice has a reputation beyond reputeTumbling_Dice has a reputation beyond reputeTumbling_Dice has a reputation beyond reputeTumbling_Dice has a reputation beyond reputeTumbling_Dice has a reputation beyond reputeTumbling_Dice has a reputation beyond reputeTumbling_Dice has a reputation beyond reputeTumbling_Dice has a reputation beyond reputeTumbling_Dice has a reputation beyond reputeTumbling_Dice has a reputation beyond reputeTumbling_Dice has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Johnboyuk
You are not protected by the UK Financial Services Compensation Scheme but you would be protected by the compensation scheme for the country where you invest, this is how it works internationally. Like the ones in Jersey and Malta as examples. Canada is not the be all and end all of pension fund management either. Ask the 16,000 ex-Sears employees.

https://www.gov.je/industry/finance/...ges/index.aspx

https://www.compensationschemes.org.mt/
Mate, Canada is a joke when it comes to protecting the client. I recently did an in depth insurance analysis for a client and the required.... I repeat required... paperwork took me 5 minutes. In the UK I would have had to do research, present that and a rationale for my final recommendation. By that I mean provider and contract. I did it anyway and it is on file to be challenged if necessary but the moral of the story is the same: Canada is a *****ing joke when it comes to protection for the client and it really p*sses me off.
Old Apr 1st 2019, 4:41 am
Forum Regular

Johnboyuk is a glorious beacon of lightJohnboyuk is a glorious beacon of lightJohnboyuk is a glorious beacon of lightJohnboyuk is a glorious beacon of lightJohnboyuk is a glorious beacon of lightJohnboyuk is a glorious beacon of lightJohnboyuk is a glorious beacon of lightJohnboyuk is a glorious beacon of lightJohnboyuk is a glorious beacon of lightJohnboyuk is a glorious beacon of lightJohnboyuk is a glorious beacon of light

Deposit protection schemes apply to cash deposits only which would not be the case in the OP's pension fund. With shares, or shares in a fund, the investor's deposit is retained by the company those shares are invested in. If the financial services company goes bust, the shares shall ultimately be returned to the investor by the administrator of the financial services company that has gone out of business. Shares are one of the safest forms of investment. The only way you will lose your money is if the company those shares are invested in goes out of business. That is why many tend to spread their wealth in the form of mutual funds and exchange traded funds.

Last edited by Johnboyuk; Apr 1st 2019 at 4:55 am.
Old Apr 1st 2019, 4:45 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Tumbling_Dice
Mate, Canada is a joke when it comes to protecting the client. I recently did an in depth insurance analysis for a client and the required.... I repeat required... paperwork took me 5 minutes. In the UK I would have had to do research, present that and a rationale for my final recommendation. By that I mean provider and contract. I did it anyway and it is on file to be challenged if necessary but the moral of the story is the same: Canada is a *****ing joke when it comes to protection for the client and it really p*sses me off.
What do you expect? A Canadian Securities Course requires 150 to 200 hours of study, by their own admission. A bricklayer trains for 5 years. No offence to bricklayers, at least it is an honest trade.

Last edited by Johnboyuk; Apr 1st 2019 at 4:57 am.
Old Apr 6th 2019, 3:05 am
BE Enthusiast

Tumbling_Dice has a reputation beyond reputeTumbling_Dice has a reputation beyond reputeTumbling_Dice has a reputation beyond reputeTumbling_Dice has a reputation beyond reputeTumbling_Dice has a reputation beyond reputeTumbling_Dice has a reputation beyond reputeTumbling_Dice has a reputation beyond reputeTumbling_Dice has a reputation beyond reputeTumbling_Dice has a reputation beyond reputeTumbling_Dice has a reputation beyond reputeTumbling_Dice has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Johnboyuk
What do you expect? A Canadian Securities Course requires 150 to 200 hours of study, by their own admission. A bricklayer trains for 5 years. No offence to bricklayers, at least it is an honest trade.
I agree. I had to do that daft course simply to get in the door. A sham if ever I saw one.

The high standards in the UK have come about from decades of chicanery... Canada is yet to get there but, maybe by the time I retire, it will be at the high level the UK was when I left a few years ago. From my own perspective, I have done the research, documented it and created my own reasons why letter so that, when the inevitable retrospective class actions / complaints come (as they did in the UK) it will be clear that I acted for the client in every way.

What p*sses me off, as mentioned above, is that I see Canadians getting mullered by so called advisers and planners here, and trusting them. They don't know what they don't know but, my goodness, are they getting shafted. Takes a very long time to educate people but I have had the great pleasure of seeing the penny drop. Rant over.
Old Apr 9th 2019, 12:16 pm
Forum Regular

Otto The Squid has a reputation beyond reputeOtto The Squid has a reputation beyond reputeOtto The Squid has a reputation beyond reputeOtto The Squid has a reputation beyond reputeOtto The Squid has a reputation beyond reputeOtto The Squid has a reputation beyond reputeOtto The Squid has a reputation beyond reputeOtto The Squid has a reputation beyond reputeOtto The Squid has a reputation beyond reputeOtto The Squid has a reputation beyond reputeOtto The Squid has a reputation beyond repute

Thought I would have a look at their website.

I cannot get it to work alexanderpeter.com -&nbspalexanderpeter Resources and Information. - Perhaps an issue from my end or is it down?
Old Apr 9th 2019, 1:55 pm
Slightly Canadian

Atlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Otto The Squid

I cannot get it to work alexanderpeter.com -&nbspalexanderpeter Resources and Information. - Perhaps an issue from my end or is it down?
Nope. Down for me as well. 'Nuff said!
Old Apr 9th 2019, 3:43 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by Atlantic Xpat
Nope. Down for me as well. 'Nuff said!
alexanderpeter.com

"This Domain Name Has Expired - Renewal Instructions."
When I checked the 'down right now' website.. this is what came up:
Alexanderpeter.com is PARKED
The website is either expired or listed for sale...
Barge Pole... anyone !

Last edited by Siouxie; Apr 9th 2019 at 3:46 pm.
Old Apr 23rd 2019, 4:33 pm
Just Joined

pumbers has a reputation beyond reputepumbers has a reputation beyond reputepumbers has a reputation beyond reputepumbers has a reputation beyond reputepumbers has a reputation beyond reputepumbers has a reputation beyond reputepumbers has a reputation beyond reputepumbers has a reputation beyond reputepumbers has a reputation beyond reputepumbers has a reputation beyond reputepumbers has a reputation beyond repute

Not sure what the issue was because it seems to be working fine now.
Old Apr 23rd 2019, 5:01 pm
Forum Regular

Otto The Squid has a reputation beyond reputeOtto The Squid has a reputation beyond reputeOtto The Squid has a reputation beyond reputeOtto The Squid has a reputation beyond reputeOtto The Squid has a reputation beyond reputeOtto The Squid has a reputation beyond reputeOtto The Squid has a reputation beyond reputeOtto The Squid has a reputation beyond reputeOtto The Squid has a reputation beyond reputeOtto The Squid has a reputation beyond reputeOtto The Squid has a reputation beyond repute

This might be of interest - not suggesting them, they came up in a google search.. https://www.myexpatsipp.com/mesinsig...n-uk-residents
You might also want to read the pro's and con's of investing in a SIPP: https://axis-finance.com/international-sipps/
The first firm is regulated by the FCA, but does not have a registered adviser and cannot provide investment advice or pensions advice. The second firm's pages are full of E&Os and only has an insurance licence in France.

Last edited by Siouxie; Apr 23rd 2019 at 7:18 pm.
Old Apr 23rd 2019, 7:18 pm
Banned

The first firm is regulated by the FCA, but does not have a registered adviser and cannot provide investment advice or pensions advice. The second firm's pages are full of E&Os and only has an insurance licence in France.
I wasn't suggesting anyone should use them.. the links were posted for information about SIPPS as Expats, generally - and the 2nd one in particular had some helpful PRO's and CON's of investing in SIPPS.

AGAIN I am not suggesting nor recommending either of them for investment purposes.. quite the opposite !!!
Old Apr 24th 2019, 8:21 am
Forum Regular

I wasn't suggesting anyone should use them.. the links were posted for information about SIPPS as Expats, generally - and the 2nd one in particular had some helpful PRO's and CON's of investing in SIPPS.

AGAIN I am not suggesting nor recommending either of them for investment purposes.. quite the opposite !!!
Was not suggesting you were recommending. It is just that the pros and cons are misleading.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.